Opinions from users of the PLX Wideband and Kiwi Wifi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Opinions from users of the PLX Wideband and Kiwi Wifi

Considering the PLX Kiwi Wifi system and piggy backing a PLX Wideband module using the KiWi's added iMFD port. Then, pumping all that info onto my iPhone or iPad, using either Rev/Fuzzycar/DashCommand.

My initial purchase will be just the Kiwi Wifi unit, to confirm that it works on the V12TT cars. I was surprised when I purchased the Scangauge II, only to find out that it doesn't work with the V12TTs for some reason. After I confirm compatibility, I'll spring for the PLX wideband unit, and connect it to the Kiwi Wifi.

That will give me the ability to monitor all of the normal OBD II stuff, plus the ability to monitor AFRs, all in one screen on my iPhone or iPad.

So, my question is, to those that have used the PLX/Kiwi setup. Are you happy with it? Any limitations that I need to know about? If you were to do it all again, would you go with a different product?

And more importantly to those that use the PLX wideband, via the iMFD connection on the Kiwi. How accurate has it been? How durable has it been? Any problems with condensation on the sensor? How was the install? Did you use the existing O^2 bungs, or did your drill new holes pre-cats, and install a new bung?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Clayton

I'm using the Kiwi Wifi PLX and love it for numerous reasons.
1. it can be left plugged in and even hidden away.
2. I'm using REV and Fuzzy both for different reasons but both provide valubale data.
3. Logging long term information using REV is very cool.
4. All data points that both these apps provide are valuable.

It does however have its quirks. Sometimes it takes a while for the Wifi to connect and then sync to the ECU. This is especially true with Fuzzy but REV does do this on occasion.
REV has way more bells and whistles and is highly configurable that's why it cost as much as it does. Fuzzy being free is limited but I find I actually use it more that REV for monitoring specifics like fuel and IAT's. REV can monitor boost (obviously not corrected for barometric pressure) and the data points or guages can be configured for the specific pieces of data you're trying to collect at any given time. These configurations can be saved for later use.

All in all I love the small wifi unit and that I can connect it to multiple end points. I do however use my iPhone more than the iPad or PC.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info!

Do you have the Kiwi with iMFD or just the regular Kiwi? I didn't see mention of using their wideband module, so I'm assuming it's just the normal Kiwi.

Are you planning on adding the wideband?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Thanks for the info!

Do you have the Kiwi with iMFD or just the regular Kiwi? I didn't see mention of using their wideband module, so I'm assuming it's just the normal Kiwi.

Are you planning on adding the wideband?
I have the regular KIWI without iMFD. The regualr can be upgraded to include iMFD support for the wideband Bosch AFR module.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just purchased one, and should have it next week. I'll have to find a shop that can install the wideband and cleanly run the wires into the cabin, to the PLX wifi unit.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 63S
Sweet. Let me know how that goes and please take some pics so we can see how they do it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Sweet. Let me know how that goes and please take some pics so we can see how they do it.

Will do.

I found a seller on ebay that was willing to negotiate, if I purchassed both the Kiwi Wifi unit, as well as the wideband. If I purchased outside of the ebay domain, the pricing was very good IMO.

$343.00 shipped and it included the O^2 sensor.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll put you in contact with the seller.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 03-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Updates?

I already downloaded the freeware version of Rev and will probably pull the trigger on the full-featured version soon. I've already got an iPhone and iPad here at the house so the Rev application seems like a natural...

Interested to hear feedback on the Kiwi and the add-on sensor box if you've had a chance to experiment with those.

-G
Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
I've got the stand alone kiwi, no add-ons, and its been great. It is slow sometimes to connect but you can leave it plugged in all the time seeing it takes little battery power. One negative I guess is that using it to monitor fuel mileage is alittle iffy. It tends to average about 4mpg higher than the car's computer, and the car's computer is correct. Its great for monitoring that intake or charge air temp though.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The sample rate on my 2005 SL600 is very slow, since my OBDII port is running the slowest possible protocol, KWP2000. RPM gauge lags about a full second behind the tach in the car. I tried it in my Rover and a newer c-class loaner I had, and it was MUCH better, damn near real-time. IAT, timing, coolant temp etc..., seems to be more bearable. Luckily, the iMFD system doesn't rely on the OBD port, so I'll see wideband O2 data, real-time. I haven't gotten it installed yet.

I don't know if your 2006 uses the archaic KWP protocol or not. I will say that PLX support has been amazing. I've been working with their developer and he's been sending me scripts, written in C++ computer language, that I've been updating the Kiwi with. We're trying to see if we can ride the CANbus in the car for better performance.

If your car has a better sample rate than mine, I recommend getting DashCommand over Rev2. But, if you have the slow junk like me, get Rev.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if the problem really is with the protocol? As fast as your car runs there's a good chance that you're simply outrunning the electrons!

-G
Old 04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregMB
I wonder if the problem really is with the protocol? As fast as your car runs there's a good chance that you're simply outrunning the electrons!

-G
It's the protocol

Same issue on my 2004 E500 too.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Data Logging

I believe that MB stayed with the slow protocol through 2006. 2007 up cars with newer ECUs are probably better, as you have observed with the newer MB car.

I'd very much like to do some data logging in my SL....to be sure everything is safe, but IMO you are bold experimenting with the CANbus.

Please keep up posted when you get it going, I may copy your solution if its not too complicated or costly.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
It's definately the protocol. I noticed no difference in sampling between my OT-2 and the Cheap bluetooth ELM327 adapters. Thats the reason I sold my OT2 and am using only the ELM327 and Torque for android now. Better interface and same sampling and logging for 35 bucks all in.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Little more information, for those interested in this product.

Using Rev2, and still riding the KWP2000 Protocol, here are some data logging sample rates.

If monitoring 1 PID - Sample every .2 seconds
If monitoring 2 PID - Sample every .4 seconds
If monitoring 3 PID - Sample every .6 seconds
If monitoring 4 PID - Sample every .? seconds (Somehow forgot to log 4, but assume .7)
If monitoring 5 PID - Sample every .8 seconds

Since my Air/Fuel wideband monitoring will be real time, using the iMFD port, I'm happy with monitoring Timing/RPM/IAT once every .6 seconds. I suppose.....

As NCE500 said, those with 2007+ cars, will see a HUGE improvement in sample rates.