W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Sound System Build Thread - Christmas Time!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
Originally Posted by abrim
That's awesome! You have any pics? I bet it looks incredible! I still can't believe you have 2 sb8s in your car! That really is crazy haha!
I will post pics up later.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I will post pics up later.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing them!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:38 PM

2012 Armada
Awesome, looking forward to seeing them!
Here is the amp rack and my rack for the the DSP6's.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Am using the dynavin unit for the moment.
What are your thoughts on the Dynavin? Is it at least comparable to the crappy stock head unit? Did you notice what features you lost?

No one seems to have any real feedback about those....

BTW, Your setup is really sick!! I'd love to hook up my DJ equipment to something like that, and play it out in some parking lot....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Here is the amp rack and my rack for the the DSP6's.

Damn Marquies that is one serious trunk!! That's absolutely awesome! You are using 2 line drivers? And what is that rainbow box for? Is it a crossover?

LOVE the TRUs in the anodized black, If mine are going to be on display I will definitely be anodizing mine black!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by HIGHMILE E55
What are your thoughts on the Dynavin? Is it at least comparable to the crappy stock head unit? Did you notice what features you lost?

No one seems to have any real feedback about those....

BTW, Your setup is really sick!! I'd love to hook up my DJ equipment to something like that, and play it out in some parking lot....
I haven't used it yet, will be getting the car back this week and will let you know! I don't think I should lose any features as everything is designed to work with the OEM system.

Thanks man, appreciate it! What DJ equipment do you use? I used to DJ quite a bit, now it's more of a hobby / fun thing for friends parties as opposed to a money maker.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM

2012 Armada
Damn Marquies that is one serious trunk!! That's absolutely awesome! You are using 2 line drivers? And what is that rainbow box for? Is it a crossover?

LOVE the TRUs in the anodized black, If mine are going to be on display I will definitely be anodizing mine black!
Thanks Andrew.

I am using 2 line drivers. The black one is the sld8 with cat5 outputs to my amps. The silver one is my sld6i that will go to my center channel. The little Rainbow box you see is an amp for my center channel. I had a Billet 4100 in there before but since I am not running rears any more I pulled it out.

Wait till I finish my beauty panels and my seats. It will all tie together nicely.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM

2012 Armada
Oh did you get my email the other day? Also send me some pics of that viper
Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Thanks Andrew.

I am using 2 line drivers. The black one is the sld8 with cat5 outputs to my amps. The silver one is my sld6i that will go to my center channel. The little Rainbow box you see is an amp for my center channel. I had a Billet 4100 in there before but since I am not running rears any more I pulled it out.

Wait till I finish my beauty panels and my seats. It will all tie together nicely.
Awesome! I am definitely wanting to use cat5 from the sld8 to the amps. Thats awesome that the rainbow box is an amp, what speaker are you using for the center? I believe I read on DIYMA it was a micro precision? Why did you remove the rears? Did it mess up the staging too much? I am hoping the 242GTs I have going in the rear don't overpower the front stage.

I cannot wait to see the finished product, I have no doubt it is going to look stunning! That amp rack is seriously cool, I like it even more the more I look at it, and I bet a huge help for cooling purposes too!

Isn't it weird how you have 2 of the same DSP6s but the logos are a different way around on each of them? haha
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM

2012 Armada
Awesome! I am definitely wanting to use cat5 from the sld8 to the amps. Thats awesome that the rainbow box is an amp, what speaker are you using for the center? I believe I read on DIYMA it was a micro precision? Why did you remove the rears? Did it mess up the staging too much? I am hoping the 242GTs I have going in the rear don't overpower the front stage.

I cannot wait to see the finished product, I have no doubt it is going to look stunning! That amp rack is seriously cool, I like it even more the more I look at it, and I bet a huge help for cooling purposes too!

Isn't it weird how you have 2 of the same DSP6s but the logos are a different way around on each of them? haha
No the rears did not mess with staging. I just never had them on so I saw no point ini hooking them back up. I can always change my mind but for now they are out. My center is a micro precision. I also have a esotar 430 and 102 tweet I go back and forth with.

The rack should be better for cooling vs how I had them stacked in the wheel well before.

The logo is upside down because where I had the dsp6 installed I had to flip it over so they matched I just have not flipped it back yet. Lol
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Oh did you get my email the other day? Also send me some pics of that viper
Not that I'm aware of? I did just do a massive junk overhaul and changed around a few settings on it so I might have accidentally moved it somewhere, I'll go have a look now!

For sure, I'll send you the link to all the high-res images from the photoshoot.

No the rears did not mess with staging. I just never had them on so I saw no point ini hooking them back up. I can always change my mind but for now they are out. My center is a micro precision. I also have a esotar 430 and 102 tweet I go back and forth with.

The rack should be better for cooling vs how I had them stacked in the wheel well before.

The logo is upside down because where I had the dsp6 installed I had to flip it over so they matched I just have not flipped it back yet. Lol
Okay cool, thats good to know! Wow a 2 way center channel? Now that's impressive! What headunit do you use by the way? I meant to ask you that ages ago!

Yeah I bet stacked they generated a lotttt of heat!

Oh okay haha! I was looking and saw all the connections were the same and I was like hmm I wonder why they're different, that makes sense now haha!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
I haven't used it yet, will be getting the car back this week and will let you know! I don't think I should lose any features as everything is designed to work with the OEM system.
Looking forward to it! Its the only unit out there that doesn't ruin the stock look, plus the fact that it's Windows CE based hints at it being hackable I'm a windows mobile developer as well, and I'm hoping we can hack that thing to do all sorts of things...

Thanks man, appreciate it! What DJ equipment do you use? I used to DJ quite a bit, now it's more of a hobby / fun thing for friends parties as opposed to a money maker.
Tracktor Scratch, some old Gemini's (too cheap for SL1200s..), behringer mixer, and now playing with a small Hercules MIDI controller... DJ ing has changed drastically in the last 10 years.. No more lugging vinyls - everything is MP3's now. I don't do it professionally anymore either - but back then it was the best part time gig ever!

Last edited by HIGHMILE E55; 03-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG

Any pics of how you did the center channel. I've been wanting to do one too, but scared of modifying the dash.

Here's a pic of how a center channel was done on a c230, but I think it looks a little weird.

Here's the link, I would suggest watching the video at the end of the article.
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/51-mercedes-c230

Last edited by loudandheard; 03-20-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by HIGHMILE E55
Looking forward to it! Its the only unit out there that doesn't ruin the stock look, plus the fact that it's Windows CE based hints at it being hackable I'm a windows mobile developer as well, and I'm hoping we can hack that thing to do all sorts of things...

Tracktor Scratch, some old Gemini's (too cheap for SL1200s..), behringer mixer, and now playing with a small Hercules MIDI controller... DJ ing has changed drastically in the last 10 years.. No more lugging vinyls - everything is MP3's now. I don't do it professionally anymore either - but back then it was the best part time gig ever!
Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing it, I'm going to be selling it though as soon as the Kenwood DNX9980 is available. I don't know how many of them there are, I haven't seen any reviews or anything lol

I never got into the 1200 hype. I always used (and still own) a pair of stanton str-8 150s the torque on those are awesome, and I love the huge pitch capabilities, plus I never wanted to shell out that much money on decks lol

I know exactly what you mean about it all having changed. I used to have to carry 2 heavy *** vinyl boxes whenever going out to a club or wherever, now I can just lug my laptop with serato on it. Couldn't agree with you more about it being the best part time gig ever! I still absolutely love it, I have a huge passion for music and get so into it when I'm behind the mixer.

One of my friends has an insane hookup for pioneer DJ products through his line of work so he hooked me up on a DJM-800 and a pair of CDJ-2000s which are absolutely awesome! I couldn't justify the cost (even at such a reduced rate) to spring for the DJM-1000 for just a hobby haha, so I have a pretty epic setup at the house out of pure luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Thanks Andrew.

I envy you
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Any pics of how you did the center channel. I've been wanting to do one too, but scared of modifying the dash.

Here's a pic of how a center channel was done on a c230, but I think it looks a little weird.

Here's the link, I would suggest watching the video at the end of the article.
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/51-mercedes-c230
not really much to see it is all under the factory grill. You will have to cut out the vents under it then just make a baffle to hold the driver.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by tgoss
I envy you
No need for that sir no need at all. It is just stuff. But you need to give me a call so we can get you squared away. LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
No need for that sir no need at all. It is just stuff. But you need to give me a call so we can get you squared away. LOL
Ain't that the truth. Too bad my wheel/tire/brake and service situation has run my wallet empty LOL.

Can't wait to see some finished pics of the trunk!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Update - Trunk looks like a baked potato all wrapped in Roadkill.

Even the rear quarter panels are deadened. Apparently it's a nightmare getting back in there because this car has so much stuff in the way. The big air canister is for the front seat bolster inflation.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
This is going to be one very sweet system. I can't wait to see more pictures of the progress/finished project.

The equipment you selected is fantastic stuff from what I have heard. Out of curiosity did you have a listen or look in to Hertz mille line or Morel.

Especially in regards to the subs? If so what made you lean towards the Dynaudio?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
It is going to be EPIC, better make it to red rocks abrim, so I can hear that monster in the flesh
Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM

E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
man this is one amazing sound system build! just curious roughly how much did a job like this cost you? parts/labor etc.. if you don't mind me asking. can't wait to see the final product.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by AMGV855
This is going to be one very sweet system. I can't wait to see more pictures of the progress/finished project.

The equipment you selected is fantastic stuff from what I have heard. Out of curiosity did you have a listen or look in to Hertz mille line or Morel.

Especially in regards to the subs? If so what made you lean towards the Dynaudio?
Thanks very much! Should hopefully have more pictures tonight, they are just doing the wiring at the moment.

I looked at the hertz mille and they are fantastic drivers from what it looks like, but not as high end as the esotar2 range. These are apparently the best of the best at a reasonable price. If I wanted to spend 4x the money I could go with the rainbow reference or micro precision z-studio, but there is nothing in between the esotar2 and them. I also cannot stand the sound of focal (super harsh and bright tweeter) so the Utopia Be were out of the question and they are the same price level.

For the subs I was considering the mk3000 as they are beasts of a sub, but I was told the esotar1200 will mate perfectly with the front stage and is the best car audio sub hands down. I wanted to run the subs IB to save space in the trunk, and the mk3000 needed to be enclosed, whereas the esotar subs truly shine in an IB setup.

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
It is going to be EPIC, better make it to red rocks abrim, so I can hear that monster in the flesh
I literally can't wait! Only 3 days til I get it back, and if I go down to the TX mile the drive down there is going to be aural perfection! Definitely plan on red rock! Ive already saved the ticket sale release date on my phone so I can buy tickets as soon as they are on sale! Should be a great road trip up there too!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by AMG_RL
man this is one amazing sound system build! just curious roughly how much did a job like this cost you? parts/labor etc.. if you don't mind me asking. can't wait to see the final product.
If you want prices PM Don on here (6spdcoupe) he will give you all of the information you would like!

Install was not too bad, most of it comes from doing such extensive sound deadening. I really wanted to go overboard on it and get a perfectly silent cabin to really make the system shine!

Last edited by abrim; 03-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i need to sit in your car on Saturday and hear it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 Sound System Build Thread - Christmas Time!!