Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBUSA is going to do another CPO inspection on my E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
You may opt to dump MB and head in another direction. These 5yo MB products seem to have a crap load of problems. If you cant go new for the AMG then try a S4 Audi. You may be surprised.

Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
Well, after all of this I just got a call from the Service Manager. After being in the shop for a week, they pulled down the headliner in the car and apparently what they saw was not going to be covered by the CPO warranty. He said that the total cost to fix the "Obnoxiously creaky" pano roof was going to run $6000 + and MBUSA said that they weren't going to pay for it since the repair could end up costing 1/3 the value of the car...... BUT, MBUSA did say that since my car has spent most of its life (Since I bought it in November) in the service department, MBUSA would take the car back and give me what I paid for it towards another car.
I am floored. I really love the E55----which is why I bought it. But I don't want to spend all of my time going to and from the service department. In the past 4 months, it has literally been in the shop for about 30 days.
What would you guys do? I am by no means a rich man, and can't afford a new Mercedes. But I also don't want to be plagued with issues on a car that is doomed to be in the shop.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
dump the car at this point. There are a few nice modded ones for sale in the classifieds!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I know a guy that got his pano roof changed under the chrysler ext warranty.its crazzy how a cpo car is not covered. Mention you are going to talk to a lawyer and see how fast they fix your car.

They sold you a lemmon as a certified pre owned.That means the car is as good as new.my brother got his cpo and the dealer even changed all the tires and lug bolts because they had some marks on them.

Or tell them you want your money back plus taxes paid and buy another car.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
////E55
I swear I have terrible luck when it comes to this kind of crap. I discussed at long length with MBUSA the details of their "reclaiming" of my E55. They said that they will give me WHOLESALE price for me car plus $1500 towards another used car + 2395 (what I paid for the extra CPO year warranty). -I explained that is ridiculous given the fact that I paid a premium for a CPO E55----not just a used E55. Or, they said they would give me wholesale for my car and wholesale on a new Mercedes plus $1500 off. That won't work because I can't afford a new one.

What really pisses me off is that MBUSA can't do a damn thing about the selling dealer. MBUSA has flat out told me that my car should never have passed the CPO inspection. (It would now after all the work that I've had done to it). So by their very admission, I paid for a car that wasn't properly inspected... but because the selling dealer is franchise, MBUSA has no liability after the deal is done! They tell me that I shouldn't have bought the car "sight unseen" -And to be honest, even if I had test driven the car I would have bought it. According to MBUSA, the selling dealer's only responsibility is to honor the CPO warranty. Basically they only supposed look for things that the CPO warranty covers. -Pano roof isn't covered and therefore wouldn't have been inspected during the CPO process.

Well, I guess it's a crap shoot now. At least the car has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and apparently there is absolutely nothing wrong with it now. (Except for the REALLY noisy Pano Roof) . It would be even more of a gamble to dump it and get something else that could realistically have the same things or more go wrong with it.

It is mind boggling to me that a car that cost almost $100,000 can be manufactured this poorly.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
wow ... hmmm look they seemed to have fixed allot of the stuff that needs fixing... the 6k$ bill for the pano sounds rediculous. Whats causing the rattles? Unless they replacing the whole thing - this is typical of these guys - you could probably find its something trivial that has bust and could be fixed with a little diy ingenuity ...

If you are diy savvy have a look at the roof yourself or ask the dealer what the issue is exactly... I bet they say "its broken" without knowing what the issue is and even if they found whats wrong they are not "authorised" to repair the piece thats faulty - its all a replace game at mom...

You come this far I'd say stay with the car... unless the pano thing does require a 6k$ fix then I'd toss the car back at them and try and sue for all your cash back. If its a 6k fix then its a latent defect. The repairs they made so far are only getting the car to the state they guaranteed it would be from the start, so they dont have much of a leg to stand on IMHO.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

////E55
Yes, I will certainly find out what is wrong with the Pano roof. It was an annoyance... but I can live with it. -Apparently everyone's pano roofs creak to a certain extent. I wonder if there was ever a recall or service bulletin related to the Pano roof?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
If you plan to keep the car.

Turn in the 1yr extension on CPO and buy a 4yr aftermarket extended warranty.

As for a 100k car? Just wait till you start having fuel leaks from the gas tank and the leaks start coming back every 6 months.

Or just screw MB offer of wholesale and advertise the car on Autotrader and be done with it.

Originally Posted by jamcclureuk

Well, I guess it's a crap shoot now. At least the car has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and apparently there is absolutely nothing wrong with it now. (Except for the REALLY noisy Pano Roof) . It would be even more of a gamble to dump it and get something else that could realistically have the same things or more go wrong with it.

It is mind boggling to me that a car that cost almost $100,000 can be manufactured this poorly.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 PM

////E55
Well, I finally have her back at my house and the dealer here in St. Louis detailled the car for me free of charge. Looks fantastic.... Now if I could just keep those pesky malfunction messages from popping up.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55
The car is ****ing time bomb as you have experienced in your brief ownership..

MBUSA has acknowledged the issues and are willing to take the car back but not willing to give you all your money,right ?

I would say,it's time to meet with an attorney and have a letter sent out to them... Trust me they will take the car back....

What ever you decide to do but........ PLEASE.....DO NOT KEEP THIS ***** AS IT WOULD KEEP GIVING YOU PROBLEMS.....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

W211 E63
I would also recommend that you get out of this car and find something else. There is no guarantee that the problems won’t come back.

Recently, I got a letter from a law firm requesting me to allow MBUSA to release a compliant I had when I bought my CPO. Apparently, their client is suing MBUSA for false advertisement on what a CPO car should really be. Not sure about the details. In your case, I think you should get the original price you paid for the car back. I’m surprised that the pano roof is not covered by CPO warranty.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
If "everything" has been fixed and you can live w/the squeaky pano/get it fixed, then keep it.If not, get an attorney and get MB to pay you what you got the car for and some $$$ for the difficult times you have gon through since owning the car.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM

////E55
Has anyone actually ever had MBUSA buy back their CPO E55...or any MB model CPO?