Sponsored by:

MBUSA is going to do another CPO inspection on my E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
////E55
MBUSA is going to do another CPO inspection on my E55

Well, as the subject says, MBUSA is going to pay for and perform another CPO inspection on my car. I have had my E55 since November. (only 2400 miles) and it has been in the shop no less than 7 times. None of the repairs have been major... but certainly shouldn't have been required on a new CPO. (Oil leaks, ball joints, headlight assembly, electrical issues, etc) After a couple conversations with the regional rep from MBUSA, they have offered to perform a complete CPO inspection again as well as a full clean/detail.

I really hope thatthis will put an end to all of service visits.

Is there anything that I should emphasize when I drop it off for the inspection? Thanks to everyone on the forum here. Has anyone ever had this offered to them before?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
Well, as the subject says, MBUSA is going to pay for and perform another CPO inspection on my car. I have had my E55 since November. (only 2400 miles) and it has been in the shop no less than 7 times. None of the repairs have been major... but certainly shouldn't have been required on a new CPO. (Oil leaks, ball joints, headlight assembly, electrical issues, etc) After a couple conversations with the regional rep from MBUSA, they have offered to perform a complete CPO inspection again as well as a full clean/detail.

I really hope thatthis will put an end to all of service visits.

Is there anything that I should emphasize when I drop it off for the inspection? Thanks to everyone on the forum here. Has anyone ever had this offered to them before?
What do they do if it fails, buy the car back? How much did a CPO E55 cost?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM

////E55
Mbusa said that they would fully honor my cpo warranty. If anything comes up on the inspection, they said that they would fix it. If it is something big, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

My 2004 E55 fully loaded with 37000 miles on it was $32k. That is including the cpo warranty, b service, and 4 new Michellin Pilot sports.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Where are you located? We got an "inspected" car in for service a few days ago - what a MESS that thing is! I swear some of these cars are inspected from 10' away.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 AM

////E55
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Where are you located? We got an "inspected" car in for service a few days ago - what a MESS that thing is! I swear some of these cars are inspected from 10' away.

I am in St. Louis. I purchased the car from Mercedes Benz of Nashville. They were complete a$$holes after I took delivery of the car. My E55 had problems when it was dropped off at my house. MB Nashville basically told me that it wasn't their problem and that I shouldn't be upset because it's a used car and "they are going to have problems". They told me that the dealer in st. louis was just trying to rip me off by fixing things that probably weren't broken. They even went so far as to say that they "hoped Plaza Motors St. Louis was audited because they are clearly commiting warranty fraud". -Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Plaza Motors St. Louis has been servicing the car for me. They have been very accomodating...but I'm sure that we are all sick of seeing each other.

This is what was existing or has gone wrong in the 2000 miles I've driven.

Leaking oil from both Valve Covers
Leaking oil from the oil pan
Leaking Transmission Fluid
Bad lower Ball Joints (both sides)
Bad Battery
Right front thrust link bad and bushing
Malfunctioning Headlight Cornering (replaced entire headlight assembly)
Malfunctioning Electronic Trunk (rewired)
Bad/leaking rear airmatics (replaced both)
Electrical issue with other headlight
Now my steering make loud clanking sounds when I crank the wheel from side to side at low speeds.
---not to mention that the pano now creaks like a 1600's wooden battleship.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
I am in St. Louis. I purchased the car from Mercedes Benz of Nashville. They were complete a$$holes after I took delivery of the car. My E55 had problems when it was dropped off at my house. MB Nashville basically told me that it wasn't their problem and that I shouldn't be upset because it's a used car and "they are going to have problems". They told me that the dealer in st. louis was just trying to rip me off by fixing things that probably weren't broken. They even went so far as to say that they "hoped Plaza Motors St. Louis was audited because they are clearly commiting warranty fraud". -Which is absolutely ridiculous.
Wow ... that's a pretty rough experience. It sounds pretty petty, as well. You should put up a thread just about that experience and either get them to respond or at least steer other members away and potentially save them from a bad experience.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes things go wrong, but that's not how to handle a customer - especially an AMG customer.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mbusa said that they would fully honor my cpo warranty. If anything comes up on the inspection, they said that they would fix it. If it is something big, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

My 2004 E55 fully loaded with 37000 miles on it was $32k. That is including the cpo warranty, b service, and 4 new Michellin Pilot sports.
I think that's a great deal on that car, congrats.

Bad Battery
Now my steering make loud clanking sounds when I crank the wheel from side to side at low speeds.
Most of those problems are par for the course and should be very easy for the dealer to fix and bring in some revenue to the shop through the warranty. When cars come into my shop with those problems and they have a warranty on them I am extremely happy. It is easy to show the warranty company that those problems exist so the the work is easily approved, all the problems are straightforward to repair and the problems will be fixed after the repair is done and the customer will be happy. It's a win win for everyone. Good luck with the car, I'm sure everything will turn out fine.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

////E55
Well I dropped off my E55 for the inspection this morning. I will report back. Hopefully nothing wrong with the car... probably most of the items that needed fixing were already repaired in the past few months. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
Just wait till you start leaking gas from the gas tank.

x 7 times for me and the car is in the shop as we speak. All new gas tank, senders, pumps, everything and it leaked right from the get go.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Just wait till you start leaking gas from the gas tank.

x 7 times for me and the car is in the shop as we speak. All new gas tank, senders, pumps, everything and it leaked right from the get go.

Good luck.
Holy cow! wtf do they 'fix' when the ENTIRE rear fuel system has already leaked after new replacement?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
Another set of level sensors. I have no confidence in the repair at this point. I'm at the end of my rope.

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Holy cow! wtf do they 'fix' when the ENTIRE rear fuel system has already leaked after new replacement?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Are you going to sell/trade it in?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM

////E55
Well, my E55 is going to spend the weekend in the shop. I allowed the lead tech to drive the car for a day. (to home and back). He said that the pano-roof rattled so much that it was driving him crazy. They are going to completely remove the headliner to figure out why it was making so much noise and fix it. The only other issue that they found was that the "Reserve Fuel" light came on at 1/4 tank left. Apparently that isn't supposed to happen so they are going to replace the fuel level sensor. Apart from that, my E55 received a clean bill of health. I am pleased.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
Glad to hear you're working through it.

As far as the oil and airmatic leaks - did you detect those, or were they something that was found when the dealer was doing their inspection? I'd like to get an idea of what precise warning signs to look for.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I had a girl that bought a CPO 06 20k mile VW passat that was a piece of **** & literally had everything replaced within 6 months - a few of them within 3 DAYS of purchasing the car. From entire AC system to radio to ignition module to steering column, instrument cluster to heater, gas tank dropped & replaced, fuel injectors I believe, radiator leaking, water pump, driver door handle because it stopped working & had to crawl in passenger side !! Driver door striker as well, almost all suspension parts, rear struts, the list goes on and on.... Those are just off the top of my head but almost every moving engine part, suspension, & electrical item was replaced! Though it didn't cost anything, still a hassle and most of all an incredible frustration !!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
WOW, that is just unreal!

I don't know if it's legal, but I wish we could make a sticky about experiences with dealers and ones to stay away from on this board.

Some loser dealer would sue though for sure.

Bummer
Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM

////E55
Originally Posted by taurran
Glad to hear you're working through it.

As far as the oil and airmatic leaks - did you detect those, or were they something that was found when the dealer was doing their inspection? I'd like to get an idea of what precise warning signs to look for.
Hi there. I wish I could help but the dealer here in St. Louis found the oil leaks when I dropped it off for its first service visit. As far as the airmatics... I had a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car whenever I hit a bump in the road. I also noticed that the space between the rear tires and the wheel well was frequently different on both sides.

Last edited by jamcclureuk; 03-25-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM

c200k
It's a used car, yeah, but 32k miles? Shouldn't the car theoretically be better built than this?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
The only other issue that they found was that the "Reserve Fuel" light came on at 1/4 tank left. Apparently that isn't supposed to happen so they are going to replace the fuel level sensor..

My light comes on right around one notch below 1/4 tank, which seems about right to me. It takes 16.5 gallons to fill at that point, and I know the gauge is accurate because I've run it down to 1 notch and there was maybe a gallon left. It's actually nice to have it come on a little early because of the atrocious fuel consumption. I've averaged 15.1 MPG in mixed driving the last 10,000 miles. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM

////E55
15 MPG??? That is pretty damn good.

I don't get anywhere close to that which is why I got these plates. :-)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i

Plaza Motors St. Louis has been servicing the car for me. They have been very accomodating...but I'm sure that we are all sick of seeing each other.

Bad Battery

I know how you feel about them,,,I live about 2 hours from Nashville and I have to use either them or Memphis (not any better),,,,I feel for you!!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
WOW, that is just unreal!

I don't know if it's legal, but I wish we could make a sticky about experiences with dealers and ones to stay away from on this board.

Some loser dealer would sue though for sure.

Bummer

Good Idea!!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
lol nice plate, and im at about 8mpg even when i try to conserve.. but i dont know why my tank runs dry with more than 1/4 tank left in the ic... happened twice now with one bar above 1/4 tank....
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

////E55
Well, after all of this I just got a call from the Service Manager. After being in the shop for a week, they pulled down the headliner in the car and apparently what they saw was not going to be covered by the CPO warranty. He said that the total cost to fix the "Obnoxiously creaky" pano roof was going to run $6000 + and MBUSA said that they weren't going to pay for it since the repair could end up costing 1/3 the value of the car...... BUT, MBUSA did say that since my car has spent most of its life (Since I bought it in November) in the service department, MBUSA would take the car back and give me what I paid for it towards another car.
I am floored. I really love the E55----which is why I bought it. But I don't want to spend all of my time going to and from the service department. In the past 4 months, it has literally been in the shop for about 30 days.
What would you guys do? I am by no means a rich man, and can't afford a new Mercedes. But I also don't want to be plagued with issues on a car that is doomed to be in the shop.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
If I were you, I'd dump it. Find another CPO car in your price range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA is going to do another CPO inspection on my E55