Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Tired of cheap door pins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Before and after dyno
An easy 5HP with the windows up... With the windows down, I'm guessing 7HP...
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by 06E55
So why even ask who his supplier is? If you acknowledge someone can purchase it from a supplier, then why is it so unimaginable that he purchased his titanium from a source like this? Not to mention, you contradict yourself in this paragraph...

Titanium is also used in the medical industry...
I know Ti is in the medical industry. I work around it myself. And? Part of what makes medical Ti even more expensive than the simple working of the materials and the raw material cost is that they are verified to be the grade purchased, since not all Ti is created and blended the same, and much of what is coming out of China is mislabeled as higher grade. Medical grade is very different, and has to be verified before being shipped out for use as implants, or as such things as tools to work around MRI equipment, since an impure tool, flying around, could create lots of headaches.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
I dont see what the big deal is about where the titanium comes from. It comes from a metals supplier here in the valley. Then my fabricator here in the valley puts it on his lathe and makes them how I want them. It is really that simple. So if the metal supplier buys the metal stock from China I have not idea and really dont give a crap. But the product it self is made here in the U.S.A. So I guess if you want some you can call China and have some made if that is the route you want to go.

My intent was for me and a friend of mine to have new pins. Not to mass produce them. I did not think people would care that much. But if there is interest I will have my fabricator mass produce them for me. But I will not be sourcing anything from China. I would like to stimulate our own economy.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
Unlocked

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I dont see what the big deal is about where the titanium comes from. It comes from a metals supplier here in the valley. Then my fabricator here in the valley puts it on his lathe and makes them how I want them. It is really that simple. So if the metal supplier buys the metal stock from China I have not idea and really dont give a crap. But the product it self is made here in the U.S.A. So I guess if you want some you can call China and have some made if that is the route you want to go.

My intent was for me and a friend of mine to have new pins. Not to mass produce them. I did not think people would care that much. But if there is interest I will have my fabricator mass produce them for me. But I will not be sourcing anything from China. I would like to stimulate our own economy.
I'm just saying I've seen elsewhere, where people come to forums, and claim they are going to be made domestically, then people find out on the back side that they are off the shelf chinese items. Just post pics of them being made, and that's all. It is one of my peeves when I see things being passed off as American made, and on forums, it happens a lot.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by sknight
I know Ti is in the medical industry. I work around it myself. And? Part of what makes medical Ti even more expensive than the simple working of the materials and the raw material cost is that they are verified to be the grade purchased, since not all Ti is created and blended the same, and much of what is coming out of China is mislabeled as higher grade. Medical grade is very different, and has to be verified before being shipped out for use as implants, or as such things as tools to work around MRI equipment, since an impure tool, flying around, could create lots of headaches.
Are you going to buy a set or continue to impress us with your knowledge on something we don't give a crap about? Geez, some people's kids. It's a topic on door pins. It's just not the complicated. I hope you don't ask for the sheer strength test results.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by boschk
Are you going to buy a set or continue to impress us with your knowledge on something we don't give a crap about? Geez, some people's kids. It's a topic on door pins. It's just not the complicated. I hope you don't ask for the sheer strength test results.
You must not forget the shear modulus or tensile strength on door pins!

Our plastic golf tees are the downfall of the platform, and must be replaced by 100% Medical Grade Titanium, melted down from Synthes or Stryker mandibular plating...otherwise the entire car might self-destruct!

Any inperfection could mean your life!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk

Trust me, I don't understand what the big deal is either... This guy makes it sound like it is so hard to get titanium. You point out suppliers and then he balks on his comment and contradicts himself...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just saying I've seen elsewhere, where people come to forums, and claim they are going to be made domestically, then people find out on the back side that they are off the shelf chinese items. Just post pics of them being made, and that's all. It is one of my peeves when I see things being passed off as American made, and on forums, it happens a lot.
This guy has nothing to prove to you! You aren't the end-all and be-all authority on titanium... Or for this forum either...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Being in the medical industry myself in the past, and having been around many MRIs, most radiology departments don't allow any metal objects in the MRI room, period...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boschk
You know he will! The guy must be going through a mid-life crisis and is trying to impress us all... Seriously, who gives a flying f**k!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
You must not forget the shear modulus or tensile strength on door pins!

Our plastic golf tees are the downfall of the platform, and must be replaced by 100% Medical Grade Titanium, melted down from Synthes or Stryker mandibular plating...otherwise the entire car might self-destruct!

Any inperfection could mean your life!
And don't forget, impure pins may rob off us about 1-2 hp PER PIN!!! You know, due to the added weight of the impurities and all!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And you contradict yourself yet again... You say all Ti in the US is allocated for military... Yet you admit, it is used in the medical industry... Dude, give it a rest!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
6 "quote" posts...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chris.bachman
6 "quote" posts...
And your point being?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM

a car.
Bored at work?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
maybe he doesnt know how to multi quote, or maybe hes like me in the way that he fixes problems one at a time!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM

a car.
Can you make a set for a W203 Jayhawk?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
No, that's not what I'm talking about. Yes, someone can buy Ti from any supplier. However, Ti is in short supply in the states, apportioned for defense usage. The majority of Ti in the world for consumers comes from China, even if someone can just go down and get some (which is extremely hard to work on top of that) from a local supplier. And in that case, it's quite easy to just simply go to the place where it's coming from, put in an order with them, and then it's shipped across the world to here. Very easy, and much cheaper. I've seen it a ton of times before.
fwiw, Australia is the biggest producer in terms of tonnage.

VSMPO-AVISMA Corporation in Yekaterinburg, Russia is the world's largest titanium producer. Boeing and Airbus and the US Defense Dept are supplied by VSMPO-AVISMA. The US quit stockpiling titanium after the Cold War....

Ti is not in "short supply" and "apportioned for defense usage." That's total and complete B.S.

Ti is used in thousands of 'normal' applications. Even house paint has Ti in it. My grandmother's hip joint is made of Ti.

It's the 7th most abundant metal on the planet. The cost comes from producing Ti ore into usable metal via the Kroll process. It's an expensive and lengthy process for making both the usable metal and Ti powder.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
nice, did u consider the AMG replicas on ebay?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chris.bachman
Bored at work?
Nope... Not bored... Nor at work... Haven't worked a "job" in years... It's nice to have people working for you!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
maybe he doesnt know how to multi quote, or maybe hes like me in the way that he fixes problems one at a time!
I know how to multiquote... But actually forgot about it... More of the one problem at a time type thing...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, Australia is the biggest producer in terms of tonnage.

VSMPO-AVISMA Corporation in Yekaterinburg, Russia is the world's largest titanium producer. Boeing and Airbus and the US Defense Dept are supplied by VSMPO-AVISMA. The US quit stockpiling titanium after the Cold War....

Ti is not in "short supply" and "apportioned for defense usage." That's total and complete B.S.

Ti is used in thousands of 'normal' applications. Even house paint has Ti in it. My grandmother's hip joint is made of Ti.

It's the 7th most abundant metal on the planet. The cost comes from producing Ti ore into usable metal via the Kroll process. It's an expensive and lengthy process for making both the usable metal and Ti powder.
Thanks for setting this guy straight... I was going to go there but I could see he was just trying to stroke his own ego...

It's a shame that someone is creative and makes their own door pins and then posts pictures of them and then some jagoff calls the titanium (of all things) into question! The guy wasn't even offering to sell them at first...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by 06E55
I know how to multiquote... But actually forgot about it... More of the one problem at a time type thing...
I know You do, It was sarcasm.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
sknight; Really??? A member shows off his coolness that he and a buddy made and you say, "no you didn't" Where did you get the titanium? Well you will just source them from China and lie about where they are made and how you have seen this happen on other forums. Freaking pathetic!
The funny thing for me is watching the rest of the members school sknight on titanium. 220S laid it down on him with the Kroll Press.
Thanks for the laughs guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got Tired of cheap door pins