W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Butchered ECU, Motor Lost - Be Careful Out There (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by sknight
I guess there's a Zickekrieg going on in here.
Zickenkrieg?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I think people are talking about different things.
I think you're right.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Even better.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
SPONSOR

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Just to clarify "ECU Tuning methods" for everyone. In days gone by tuners used whatever means necessary to install a tune product in to an ECU (engine control unit, also known as PCM, ECM, etc.). There are many types of ECU and circuit board configurations. It is fair to say that make, model and release date play a role as to which technology is made available to the manufacturers by the ECU suppliers (eg, Bosch, Siemens, Magnetti Marelli, and so on). Older ecus (in general) have a "plug-in' style of chip, which can be removed without need to solder for reading/modifying/writing. Some eproms are UV erasable and others are not. As ECU design progressed so did the need for more memory and processing power. Hybrid processor/eproms and PSOP chips became favor of the ECU makers. Cars that were not supported by OBD2/OBD1 read/write protocols usually needed to have the chips removed (de/soldering method) for read/write to the correct component/s. Progression to Processor controlled ECUs is now the norm in modern vehicles. Increasing requirements from the manufacturers for more advanced emission controls force the evolution of new design technologies. Tuning methodologies are forever changing. If you are an experienced tuner with knowledge of all ecus (past & present), then you know all methods to modify: soldering/removing of eproms/processors, OBD2 & bench (ecu out of car) "flashing", boot techniques, etc. In case of one method not working for whatever reason, if you know all methods (as a tuner) you can always complete the task.

OE Tuning does also offer an ECU repair service.

Last edited by SALES@OETUNING; 03-23-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Wow, I am a newb when it comes to tuning. Idk if this was answered yet, but if you have an E55 and a eurocharged tune (this is pure hypothetical) and want a RENNtech tune, can this be done by obdII or does the chip have to be pulled?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
Just to clarify "ECU Tuning methods" for everyone. In days gone by tuners used whatever means necessary to install a tune product in to an ECU (engine control unit, also known as PCM, ECM, etc.). There are many types of ECU and circuit board configurations. It is fair to say that make, model and release date play a role as to which technology is made available to the manufacturers by the ECU suppliers (eg, Bosch, Siemens, Magnetti Marelli, and so on). Older ecus (in general) have a "plug-in' style of chip, which can be removed without need to solder for reading/modifying/writing. Some eproms are UV erasable and others are not. As ECU design progressed so did the need for more memory and processing power. Hybrid processor/eproms and PSOP chips became favor of the ECU makers. Cars that were not supported by OBD2/OBD1 read/write protocols usually needed to have the chips removed (de/soldering method) for read/write to the correct component/s. Progression to Processor controlled ECUs is now the norm in modern vehicles. Increasing requirements from the manufacturers for more advanced emission controls force the evolution of new design technologies. Tuning methodologies are forever changing. If you are an experienced tuner with knowledge of all ecus (past & present), then you know all methods to modify: soldering/removing of eproms/processors, OBD2 & bench (ecu out of car) "flashing", boot techniques, etc. In case of one method not working for whatever reason, if you know all methods (as a tuner) you can always complete the task.

OE Tuning does also offer an ECU repair service.
+1. Over the past 20 years of driving and modding cars I have seen it all. Hell, my first tuning was done with a screw driver on my carb's accelerator pump and twisting the distributor for more advance!