Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown engine 09 e63

Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by sknight
That's a bit farfetched, the reason is, on a warranty, especially an expensive one, they are bound by Mercedes' instructions and can not deviate from them, even if the technician has a solution. A friend of mine had that for the M5 problems way back, and they flat out refused to allow him to do the fix he knew would work, without mechanical intervention. The dealer said the same thing because they don't want to risk losing reimbursement, and often times, that means, when the engine is removed, it's crated up, DO NOT DISASSEMBLE posted on it, then shipped back to HQ. In the long run, sometimes they see this as a way to reduce multiple visits and actually save in the long term. So even if the PCV was bad, Mercedes likely had an internal reason to request the engine and even has a process to exactly follow for the dealer- a protocol which is binding in order to get paid.
Well said.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E63
Ok Guys,

I got my car back and they ended up doing a rebuild. They confirmed that the bolt was cracked and allowed the coolant to leak into the engine. Compression test was good, but I'm not convinced. Great thing is after two day of driving it it's back in the shop. Performance was bad, power steering was in and out, belt was squealing like a pig, and it was blowing coolant out of the bottom of the engine. What a disappointment!

Should I push to have the engine replaced? This is my first AMG, and to be honest it may be my last!

TheVoid
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by TheVoid
Ok Guys,

I got my car back and they ended up doing a rebuild. They confirmed that the bolt was cracked and allowed the coolant to leak into the engine. Compression test was good, but I'm not convinced. Great thing is after two day of driving it it's back in the shop. Performance was bad, power steering was in and out, belt was squealing like a pig, and it was blowing coolant out of the bottom of the engine. What a disappointment!

Should I push to have the engine replaced? This is my first AMG, and to be honest it may be my last!
Yes. Call MBUSA and open a case.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM

2009 E63
Does anyone have the number for logging a case? Do you think I'll have an issue getting them to do anything about the engine issues if I bought it used (5500 miles - 6 months old)?

TheVoid
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
was there a warranty?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw, did your dealership have the regional MBUSA tech come out and assess the issue before they attempted to "rebuild" your motor? Or did the dealership take it on their own to do this (and get rebated $$ under the warranty)?

I'm curious because as I mentioned earlier, my SA and SM both said they can't rebuild the motors and crated replacements are the only option. Plus the MB tech people want to see the motor and figured out what happened for their internal records. I don't personally know of any dealerships that are allowed to rebuild the AMG motors.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TheVoid
Does anyone have the number for logging a case? Do you think I'll have an issue getting them to do anything about the engine issues if I bought it used (5500 miles - 6 months old)?

TheVoid
1-800-367-6372

The car is still covered under factory warranty if it's a 2009 with only 5,500 miles.....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM

2009 E63
@sknight - Yes it is under warranty as it has just over 26k miles.

@220S - I dont know if they has an AMG tech come out or not as I was on vacation in Hawaii while it was being worked on. Interesting though if they cant rebuild an AMG and chose to do so. Maybe they got away with it because all they did was flush the engine and replace the bolt? I left the service sheet in the car when I dropped it off today, but I'll post the tech's notes once I get it back. It looked like they pulled the head off, flushed the engine, performed a compression test, and put it all back together.

TheVoid
Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM

c200k
Compression tests are done after the engine is assembled and they are not diagnostic for all problems, including blown headgaskets. I've seen blown ones with no compression loss in cylinders before.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Visit the service manager at the dealership and ask if they contacted the regional guy before they attempted a fix. Ask when the next time he's coming to the dealership and insist that he inspect the car.

You need to document everything they said and did. Keep all the info handy and in order. Be diplomatic and polite throughout it all. And call MBUSA in the meantime so that it's on record. Also email MBUSA and follow up with a letter, too. The idea is just to be sure you have all records of communication. Have patience but also be persistent.

(I see now that you meant you've owned it for 5,500 miles. Anyway, that means nothing, the car is still under factory warranty.)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

2009 E63
They pulled the head off for sure. As the service sheet did reference the replacement of the head gasket. I'll call MBUSA and see what can be done about the issue. I'm just concerned that the performance won't be the same. I turned off the ESP and hit it hard from a start and it didn't even turn the wheels over. Prior to this issue is would have left rubber all over the street so I know its not the same.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dealership service departments are really not much different than any repair business. There are good ones and bad ones. If you are dissatisfied with your dealership, you can go to another (like having different doctors diagnose the same health issue.)

Anyway, communicate with the dealership's service manager and tell him your concerns and ask him about having the regional person being involved. And register your concerns with MBUSA right away.

You still have a lot of warranty left. And if it's a CPO car from a dealer you can get an extension. If the seller is the same dealer that did the repair work, you can ask the sales manager about a goodwill extension.

Even if you're under warranty, I understand your concerns. And it's frustrating to have to deal with the dealer, and all your time, etc.. But you are covered. Good luck and be sure to post back....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
One of my dealer's first 07 S63 AND their first 07 ML63 had "blown" engines. However, but had less than 1,000 miles on them before they went. Brand new crate engines from Germany replaced both, with the trouble engines shipped directly back to Germany untouched.

Doesn't help your situation much though, I'd push for a new crate engine.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Regional guy must not have been in a good mood. He makes the final call as to who gets a new engine etc.

What a d**k.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
Hey Void, you are in Dallas, right? Please PM me when you get a chance. I may be able to help.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 PM

2009 E63
To all who have posted, I appreciate the advice and guidance. I've called MBUSA and have logged the concern. They told me that they would be contacting the dealership and will get back to me.

Here's hopping for a positive outcome.

TheVoid
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
If you don't mind saying, was it Ewing or was it Park Place?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 PM

2009 E63
Ewing
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
I bought my car there 6 years ago. My salesman was Larry Reeg. He is a former race car builder and seemed to be quite the straight and knowledgeable person. You might consult with him to see if he can give any assistance, if it is needed. Feel free to mention me, Billy from Arlington. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM

2009 E63
After two days of driving, the car is back in at Ewing. Had to leave the country for business and got back yesterday so I called the dealership to see what the deal was. here's the latest story -

There was a bracket which holds the radiator hose to the engine. It wasn't installed correctly and allowed the hose to rub against the belt. Both the belt and bracket now need to be replaced.

As far as the performance issue goes, they did another compression test and it showed 2MB or ~29 pounds low. They admitted that it showed this prior and the service manager said "I just didn't think it would make that much of a difference".

I have to say this is the worst service in the world. If the car was not at normal performance, and AMG for that, why would you return it to the customer? I've called MBUSA and logged this additional information, requested a meeting with the regional tech, and am continuing to push for a new engine. I've also called the Park Place service manager to see about transferring the car.

Word to the wise, stay away from Ewing Dallas TX.

TheVoid

Last edited by TheVoid; 04-01-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM

2003 CL55
Man, sorry to hear. Maybe push MBUSA to transfer the car to Park Place MBZ on Lemmon, and then have a discussion with the GM of the Shop; Mike Garthopf (if I have splled his name right-chances are I did not). Or, do it on your own if you have to-just pay for a flat-bed, you may even be re-imbursed for it. PPMBZ have always gone WAAAAY out of their way to accomodate me. I had an E55 that burned too much oil. Can't say enough good about how they approach business. Being the biggest MBZ dealer in the area, they have some really good Tech's as well.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM

2009 E63
Latest from MBUSA -

With the recent diagnosis of the bent connecting rod, MBUSA is backing the decision of the dealership to rebuild the engine again and replace the connecting rod to correct the performance issues. For the remainder of the issues pertaining to the quality of work and having to return my car back to the dealership two days after all the issues were to be resolves, they only offered an apology.

The case has been closed... Have a nice day!

I have no way to be sure the performance matches the factory other than by feel. Does anyone have base dyno pulls I can use to compare my car against? I haven't done any modifications to the car at all. I know this will not be a 1 to 1 comparison as performance differs from engine to engine, but it would at least help to make sure I'm in the ball park.

I have no intention to stop seeking an engine replacement. I am now looking to gather as much information as possible to help support my case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheVoid
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
so will this rebuild engine wrnty?

Will this lower your car value for trade or private sale....
f
I would have the wife call it in after I blow it up and said it just stop working.
Paying for performance and quality and getting bucket of limes..
Lemon buy back an option?
I am disappointed in MB customer service maybe its time for BMW-Audi.
Give it it Kyle Busch with a 200 shot of NOS and return it with 7 broken rods.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM

2005 e55 black on black 07 e63 po30
Well when you get it back bring it to get dynoed she should be anywhere
From 400 to 415 wheel hp and tq should be in the hi 3s
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by black05scamg
Well when you get it back bring it to get dynoed she should be anywhere
From 400 to 415 wheel hp and tq should be in the hi 3s
Yup...I would have no problem if they just rebuilt the engine. It's really not rocket science and you'd pretty much still have a new engine since nearly all gaskets and stuff would have to be replaced.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Blown engine 09 e63