W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown engine 09 e63

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TheVoid
All,

Just wanted to share my story and see if anyone else has experienced the same.

It all started about 2 and 1/2 weeks back when I was driving my e63 to get some dinner with my wife and son. Stopped at a red light and the car started to idle rough as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders. The check engine light came on and began to flash. I put the car into neutral and gave it a little gas to see if it would clear up and it was clear that there was an issue. I drove it right home (less than 2 miles) and waited for Monday morning as the dealerships in Dallas are closed on Sunday's. Monday morning came around and I called the dealership who informed me that I may have just gotten some bad gas. I bought this as I had just filled my tank so I went out to my garage and started my car. It ran perfect! I got dressed for work and stated to head into the office and within 10 minutes it started to exhibit the same issues again. I was at a red light so I waited for the green and tried to make it to a parking lot so I could have it towed in. As soon as I gave it gas it poured huge amounts of white some out the exhaust.

Guess what... Water and oil don't mix well...

Fast forward two weeks and I finally get a call back from the dealership who inform me that a bolt on one of the heads broke and filled the right cylinders with water. Rods were bent, the belt was all but torn from the pulleys, the head cracked around the bolt, blah blah blah...

I have just over 26000 miles and now have a rebuilt engine. Anyone ever heard of an issue like this or experienced anything similar?

Just wondering how did it go in the end ? Are you still driving 63?
I would really like to find out what happened.
M156 engine has some complaints about head mount bolt failier like yours and
valve tappet which leads to a total engine failure
The following users liked this post:
tsquare (11-05-2017)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
i'm up to 75k, my only issue so far has been what I gather is somewhat common, improperly torqued intake manifold bolts, gasket eventually develops a leak and throws a code (p2187). Fixed no problem under CarMax warranty.

I do have a slight ticking especially when cold. no noticeable performance loss, still runs low 12s stock. I won't be mad if it develops or is the cam issue and I blow the motor up, as long as it happens before i hit 125k miles when my warranty runs out
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by newlyAMG
i'm up to 75k, my only issue so far has been what I gather is somewhat common, improperly torqued intake manifold bolts, gasket eventually develops a leak and throws a code (p2187). Fixed no problem under CarMax warranty.

I do have a slight ticking especially when cold. no noticeable performance loss, still runs low 12s stock. I won't be mad if it develops or is the cam issue and I blow the motor up, as long as it happens before i hit 125k miles when my warranty runs out
Hey ~ Thanks for the reply. Just wondering my car is 08 ~ and does all amg
or maybe entire MB cars comes with 100k engine and power train warranty??
Also if you have some sort of performance ecu flash , will it affect the engine and power train warranty? sorry for keep asking questions~~!1
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Originally Posted by nysid2007
Hey ~ Thanks for the reply. Just wondering my car is 08 ~ and does all amg
or maybe entire MB cars comes with 100k engine and power train warranty??
Also if you have some sort of performance ecu flash , will it affect the engine and power train warranty? sorry for keep asking questions~~!1
I think he has a carmax warranty. And they are stupid enough to warranty anything!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM

08' E63, 12' Escalade
08' E63 AMG Seized Motor

All,

It all started about 2 and 1/2 weeks back when I was driving my e63 to get some dinner with my wife and son. Stopped at a red light and the car started to idle rough as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders. The check engine light came on and began to flash. I put the car into neutral and gave it a little gas to see if it would clear up and it was clear that there was an issue. I drove it right home (less than 2 miles) and waited for Monday morning as the dealerships in Dallas are closed on Sunday's. Monday morning came around and I called the dealership who informed me that I may have just gotten some bad gas. I bought this as I had just filled my tank so I went out to my garage and started my car. It ran perfect! I got dressed for work and stated to head into the office and within 10 minutes it started to exhibit the same issues again. I was at a red light so I waited for the green and tried to make it to a parking lot so I could have it towed in. As soon as I gave it gas it poured huge amounts of white some out the exhaust.

Fast forward two weeks and I finally get a call back from the dealership who inform me that a bolt on one of the heads broke and filled the right cylinders with water. Rods were bent, the belt was all but torn from the pulleys, the head cracked around the bolt, blah blah blah...

I have just over 26000 miles and now have a rebuilt engine. Anyone ever heard of an issue like this or experienced anything similar?
I have an 08' E63 with 53k on it (purchased used with 50K a few months ago). My car did almost exactly the same thing as mentioned above, except that the white shoke started coming out as soon as it happened. I also thought at first that it was water in the gas that I had just put in it, but I think the motor is seized up now. I sent it to the Mercedes dealer this morning and am waiting to hear the diagnosis on it. My fingers are crossed because I believe the warranty on it was 4 yrs / 50k (im 6 months and 4k out of it).
Im expecting the worst here, so my question to anybody is if I have Mercedes rebuild the motor, can anyone ballpark what the labor costs on it would be? I say labor only, because I understand theres no way of knowing what parts are going to be needed, but just looking for what I should expect as far as the labor on the rebuild would be?
Also, does anyone have any other recommendations as to another place to get the motor rebuilt (either a little less expensive, or maybe somewhere that can put some more HP on the engine while it already needs to be rebuilt?)

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Originally Posted by rbrooks027
I have an 08' E63 with 53k on it (purchased used with 50K a few months ago). My car did almost exactly the same thing as mentioned above, except that the white shoke started coming out as soon as it happened. I also thought at first that it was water in the gas that I had just put in it, but I think the motor is seized up now. I sent it to the Mercedes dealer this morning and am waiting to hear the diagnosis on it. My fingers are crossed because I believe the warranty on it was 4 yrs / 50k (im 6 months and 4k out of it).
Im expecting the worst here, so my question to anybody is if I have Mercedes rebuild the motor, can anyone ballpark what the labor costs on it would be? I say labor only, because I understand theres no way of knowing what parts are going to be needed, but just looking for what I should expect as far as the labor on the rebuild would be?
Also, does anyone have any other recommendations as to another place to get the motor rebuilt (either a little less expensive, or maybe somewhere that can put some more HP on the engine while it already needs to be rebuilt?)

Thanks...
I can't really guess on this car but I would assume similar to my 911 which is about $12K to rebuild. I would think a rebuild kit for this engine without needing any major parts would be $1500-$3000 on top of the $12K.

I could be wrong though.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM

C5 LS6 and CLS55
All,

How did it cost to repair?

Last edited by Blown_V8s; 01-24-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 AM

2007 AMG E63 Wagon, 1966 Mercedes 250SE Coupe, 1970 280SE
Hi All!

I recently purchased an 07 E63 wagon with 91K miles on it. At 93K miles, the front left air strut failed; so I fixed it.

Today, the car started running very rough, the CEL started flashing and as I pulled to the shoulder, it completely died. I tried restarting and it ran very rough. It was raining at the time, if it makes any difference... I had AAA bring me back home to further diagnose the problem. I'm reading the following codes:

P0300 Random/multiple misfire;
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire;
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire;
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire;
P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire;
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire;
P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire;
P0307 Cylinder 7 misfire.

The digital readout in the speedo tells me that the ESP is inoperative.

Finally, the battery seems weak, not quite able to crank the engine over.

Am I so lucky that all of this is a symptom of a weak battery, or is this a symptom of a blown engine? As a new owner of an AMG outside of its warranty period, it's a little scary to read all of the comments on this thread...

I'll begin to look into the battery tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts
2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450,
Was it under some warranty?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
pull the valve covers off and inspect for camshaft and lifter damage.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by enowacki
Hi All!

I recently purchased an 07 E63 wagon with 91K miles on it. At 93K miles, the front left air strut failed; so I fixed it.

Today, the car started running very rough, the CEL started flashing and as I pulled to the shoulder, it completely died. I tried restarting and it ran very rough. It was raining at the time, if it makes any difference... I had AAA bring me back home to further diagnose the problem. I'm reading the following codes:

Am I so lucky that all of this is a symptom of a weak battery, or is this a symptom of a blown engine? As a new owner of an AMG outside of its warranty period, it's a little scary to read all of the comments on this thread...

Did you drive through deep water?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM

Thank you for the responses!

AMG Power: No warranty to fall back on, unfortunately...

E55 Greasemonkey: No, I was driving on the freeway, no standing water at all, just very wet and damp.

Shardul: I will follow your advise next, but it won't be until March when I return from a work assignment. Will lifter/camshaft damage be obvious, or is there something I should look for?

I replaced the battery, which was the original one, so it needed to be done anyway; but it did not solve the problem. It will not crank. The starter engages, but it seems like it doesn't have enough power to turn the motor over.

On the upside, I'm able to move the engine slightly with a breaker bar/socket on the crank, so it's not completely seized... Another positive sign is that there does not appear to be any coolant in the oil. I have to look for the little positive things...

I'm really hoping this engine hasn't turned itself into a paper weight before hitting 100K, that would be an embarrassment to MB/AMG!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
it will be pretty obvious.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Is the oil level really high? Drain it and remove the spark plugs then try to turn it over by hand.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:40 PM

Rocman8, yes, the oil level seems high. I take it that's not a good sign... What does that mean? Water getting into the oil pan? Cracked head? Other nasty things?

I will try what you recommend when I return from my work assignment in March. I was able to move it a little to the right and left with a breaker bar, but I didn't try to turn it completely over. Limited time to deal with it for now.

I've gotten almost 3K miles of driving in with this car...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM

CLS 500
my 09 SL63 with 31k miles just blew the head gasket, hopefully no more damage.

Anyone ever get that fixed and have an idea on price??

Like the OP, I was told MB has a problem with the head bolts on the motor and it is becoming a "common" issue.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by haldeman
my 09 SL63 with 31k miles just blew the head gasket, hopefully no more damage.

Anyone ever get that fixed and have an idea on price??

Like the OP, I was told MB has a problem with the head bolts on the motor and it is becoming a "common" issue.
it's not the head gasket. It's the bolts. It's not becoming an issue since it's been going on commonly for well over 5 years now. If no other damage you are looking at 3-5k
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by enowacki
Hi All!

I had the same issue.

Turned out the gas level sensor was bad and I had ran out of gas.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 PM

2003 cl600
All,

the 6.2 AMG 8-banger engines are known to have head bolt problems. Check out Weistec - they have head bolts to cure the problem. the 6.2 8-banger engine of AMG is the worst engine with the AMG label. Too bad you could not have known better.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by buslaw
the 6.2 AMG 8-banger engines are known to have head bolt problems. Check out Weistec - they have head bolts to cure the problem. the 6.2 8-banger engine of AMG is the worst engine with the AMG label. Too bad you could not have known better.
Those Weistec head studs are way over priced. You can get updated MB headbolts for about 1/10 of what they cost. They also overcharge for the SLS lifters as you can buy them cheaper from MB parts places. Damn near everyone on here that isn't new knows about these issues with the M156, it's no surprise to any of us.

My car will be getting updated head bolts (have them sitting in the garage) and lifters if needed. I'm not really worried about the cams at all.