W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I'm officially depressed...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Now I'm officially depressed...

After countless hours fixing the woodruff key ( the keyway was in great shape but took forever to get the timing cover off and what not ) and making the crank snout look like new, today I installed my brand new 180mm pulley ( which Eurocharged kindly replaced free of charge after the first meltdown ) and torqued it with my BRAND NEW torque wrench.

Well guess what? After ONE wot pull my pulley let loose again, this time it didn't come out completely...it just started to slip badly on the crank ( enough for my engine to fall flat on it's face ) and it started to wobble badly ( it had no wobble when installed ). Now I can't even take the pulley off...it feels like it's welded on.

I'm not sure what to do now....I'm truly depressed now.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Oh man. Keep your chin up still, I usually tend to get angry and start swearing and kicking the tires lol. You'll need a pulley puller tool you can rent one from auto zone. I wish you luck my friend
Old 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by GT-ER
After countless hours fixing the woodruff key ( the keyway was in great shape but took forever to get the timing cover off and what not ) and making the crank snout look like new, today I installed my brand new 180mm pulley ( which Eurocharged kindly replaced free of charge after the first meltdown ) and torqued it with my BRAND NEW torque wrench.

Well guess what? After ONE wot pull my pulley let loose again, this time it didn't come out completely...it just started to slip badly on the crank ( enough for my engine to fall flat on it's face ) and it started to wobble badly ( it had no wobble when installed ). Now I can't even take the pulley off...it feels like it's welded on.

I'm not sure what to do now....I'm truly depressed now.
I told you so. I voted that you button it back up with the stock crank pulley, so maybe after the umpteenth failure in a row, you'll get the idea.

Originally Posted by benz_addict
Oh man. Keep your chin up still, I usually tend to get angry and start swearing and kicking the tires lol. You'll need a pulley puller tool you can rent one from auto zone. I wish you luck my friend

I wouldn't recommend that for this poster. It's sad to say it direct, but the car is better left with a professional. Seeing your recommendation, I'm running through the list of FAIL the OP will inevitably go through with a puller.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
With all do respect to Mr. sknight. Your posts remind of when my childhood dog died and all my mother could say was: well it was just a dog. While there may have been truth in her statement, it was far from being a kind thing to say.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Wow, sorry to hear man, thats really odd, maybe the next option is professional install?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sknight
I told you so. I voted that you button it back up with the stock crank pulley, so maybe after the umpteenth failure in a row, you'll get the idea.

I wouldn't recommend that for this poster. It's sad to say it direct, but the car is better left with a professional. Seeing your recommendation, I'm running through the list of FAIL the OP will inevitably go through with a puller.
Dude, could you possibly be more of a hater? Did your parents abuse you or something to make you so bitter?

YOU may have told me to use the oem pulley again....but 78% of the forum users told me to go with the 180mm pulley again according to the thread you just posted at just to rub it in my face.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
I have no problem with the attitude, but rubbing things in his face isn't helping..

GT, whats your gameplan from here on out?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM

c200k
So steering you in the right direction from the beginning is being a "hater"? I saw warning signs right from the beginning that you didn't identify even after the initial damage, despite writing about them. Then you wanted to install the pulley without the key. Now you've reinstalled it with more problems. After a while you're outclassed. Take it to a professional before more damage is done, but I'm fearing we already have some significant damage.

And no, my parents didn't abuse me. They taught me to be realistic and they taught me that I shouldn't be so sensitive because the world is a harsh place and lots of people are not sensitive and toughening up is a good thing, especially when I identify anything that is not sensitive enough for me as wanting to be coddled by a stranger.

My advice: GO TO A SHOP. USE THE STOCK PULLEY.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM

E55 AMG
Talk about kicking someone while they're down.

Keep your head up, this isn't the end of the world.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:34 PM

E55
We took one off today and it required an unreal amount of torque. We placed a longer bolt in the torque converter to lock things and used a 5' breaker bar to finally break it loose.

Regards,
Todd
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Why didn't you go to a shop in the first place?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM

c200k
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Why didn't you go to a shop in the first place?
Sorry, but that's really insensitive.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

E55
Did the key break off again? I guess it did if the bolt is still torqued and it is spinning on the snout... Surprised this would happen a 2nd time unless there is more damage that you didn't find the first go around.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM

c200k
That's my suspicion, and he needs a mechanic and people here to back that idea up, not complain about how I need to come down to his level of sensitivity.

The only way to help the OP is to convince him that the car NEEDS to go to a professional. He will devise "Crazy" plans along the way, as he indicated in the first thread, which will only lend itself to a system by system destruction of the car.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
Please tell me you bought a new bolt. If you reused the old one it wont hold. And that was a question as well as a statement you might already know.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
yeah - I 2nd that --

Did you use a new bolt? You mentioned a new bolt wrench --

It seems like common sense after your 1st failure but thought i would ask --
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I'm depressed too! With 2 failures in a row I think something is being unknowingly done wrong. Some reflection should be the first action, then get it apart again. My guess would be that for some reason neither pulley was all the way on. It's the only logical answer as to why the key didn't hold or was being asked to to what it's not supposed to do.

Les
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
I would suggest a totally fresh look at this. First, is this the right pulley? Second, is this the right key? Third, is there any damage to either? Fourth, is there any damage to the keyway on the crank? You might need micrometers to take measurements. Don't panic, even if the worst case scenario manifests - and the crank is damaged - it can still usually be repaired.

Once all items are certified serviceable you should be able to re-assemble without difficulty but do ensure the key fits properly.

Chin up, friend...!
Brgds
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
I know someone who can remanufacturer your crank to OEM specs
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Sorry, but that's really insensitive.

i feel bad for you, sknight. you told it like it was, but the OP didn't listen and ended up in the same boat again, if not worse. now, you do it again, and you get bashed. that ain't right!

truth is truth, whether it's blunt truth or not.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
That's my suspicion, and he needs a mechanic and people here to back that idea up, not complain about how I need to come down to his level of sensitivity.

The only way to help the OP is to convince him that the car NEEDS to go to a professional. He will devise "Crazy" plans along the way, as he indicated in the first thread, which will only lend itself to a system by system destruction of the car.
that would be cool to watch
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM

c200k
Originally Posted by i_am_amused

i feel bad for you, sknight. you told it like it was, but the OP didn't listen and ended up in the same boat again, if not worse. now, you do it again, and you get bashed. that ain't right!

truth is truth, whether it's blunt truth or not.
That's a big problem in the world, from media, to the workplace, to schools, and so on. People are more concerned about feelings and paralyzed by them, rather than wanting to hear the truth. It's not like I hate the dude, but seriously, no one else is telling him. They're only enabling him and I kind of feel bad for the dude because he's obviously outclassed in this, and people are more worried about my online personality than getting this guy to see the light and go to a shop and put an end to this, once and for all. We are all watching a guy here destroying his car, yet people are not stopping him, but bashing me for being the odd man out and not following like a sheep and encouraging him to continue doing the job.

However, I do like the end solution of watching the destruction. If all else fails.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Yea, but "I told you so" is immature. It also makes you appear arrogant. Not saying either is applicable, just saying.

Les
Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 PM

c200k
Yeah, that's for me to put up with. No one else's concern. I know how it makes me "e-appear". However, it's still telling that the thread has not produced such strong responses towards the OP, who is destroying his car, against advice.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
another question -- Are you using a longer belt? Did you change the water pump pulley?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Now I'm officially depressed...