Sponsored by:

DIY: Removing scratches from COMAND screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe. 2007 SL55. 1992 911 C2 Coupe
Ejbrock,

#3 will create more deep scratches. Just keep working with #2. It took longer to remove the scratches but I did not create new ones.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507
Originally Posted by MBJM
Cleaning my car last week, I accidentally touched my Comand screen with a cloth that had Windex on it (I know) and it immediately caused a haze. After much reading, I purchased and used Novus 1 & 2 polishes last night for about an hour. I didn't use a lot of polish but ended up with a screen that became more scratched the more I rubbed. I have attached a picture of the outcome.

The question is, am I scratching the coating and, should keep rubbing/use more product so that I remove it and end up with a clear screen or am I actually scratching the plastic whereby any more rubbing is going to make it significantly worse. I am quite surprised that I didn't get the results which everyone has been posting. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone. A more thorough application of #2 was the ticket! Got the results I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails DIY:  Removing scratches from COMAND screen-img_2158-2.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 PM

2013 GLK 350
Works great!

Followed same instructions, flawless results!! Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I'm going to have to remember to do this to mine. It looks like crap around the edges. I'm guessing the PO had long nails that would hit it in spots all the time.

We also carry Novus at my work. Just got to borrow a couple of bottles from our detailers.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM

2011 C300 4matic, 2010 Glk350, 2008 Slk
I have not tried these product but the nushield has some good reviews. https://www.nushield.com/nushield-da...command-center
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA0B52M63163

I read the threads on removing the rest of the coating that is on the screen. I have had great results removing minor scratches on paint and plastic parts on my Mercedes with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and/or Meguiars Step 2 Polish. The plastic part I refer to are typically the vertical shiny black pieces on the B pillar between the doors of a 4 door. All of the parts are essentially clear coated and minor scratches can be removed the polish. You shouldn't be aggressive just take your time with minimal pressure and then wax when you've got the scratches out. These are not textured black pieces.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:51 PM

E320 Bluetec
Fixing my Command Screen

Originally Posted by SterlingE55
I have plenty extra of the scratch remover if someone in houston wants to borrow it.
Hello I am in in Houston I am in the West U area? I was curious how this worked for you? Thank you.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Threads like this is what makes this the best Mercedes Benz forum. I had no idea there was a anti-glare coating on the comand screen. My 2014 E350 had what looked like something sprayed on the screen, so it looked as though it had a bunch of water spots on it. Not noticable while the screen was on but once you turned it off it was very noticeable and quite annoying. Took it to the dealer as it was a CPO vehicle shortly after purchasing it and was hoping the warranty would cover it. We were told it was from wear and wouldn't be covered. Stumbled across this thread, ordered the novus products from amazon and this evening pulled the comand screen out and spent maybe an hour tops from the time I pulled the screen out to when I put it back in and the screen looks brand new. I'm going to hold off on ordering the Nushield and see how I like it without the anti-glare film.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
benz cla200
Good job!
Old 10-13-2020, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 Wagon
Just did this work on my screen for an S212, worked like a charm! Although I used Meguiar's Plast-X that I already had laying around. So glad I came upon this thread as I thought my screen had been scratched from being wiped too harshly and was about to buy a replacement. Thanks to the OP!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:18 PM

E320 Bluetec
Removing anti glare

Originally Posted by rhern213
Just did this work on my screen for an S212, worked like a charm! Although I used Meguiar's Plast-X that I already had laying around. So glad I came upon this thread as I thought my screen had been scratched from being wiped too harshly and was about to buy a replacement. Thanks to the OP!
Hello did this leave the screen uniform both my 2 Mercedes have this problem. Was it easy and straightforward? Thank you.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 PM

E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Roleybling
Hello did this leave the screen uniform both my 2 Mercedes have this problem. Was it easy and straightforward? Thank you.
The only tricky part to keep it uniform is around the edges because the metal trim sort of blocks your rag/towel. What I did was wrap the rag around a sharp hard piece of plastic and used that just around the edges, worked perfectly. Scrubbing straight back and forth on the edges instead of in a circular motion didn't cause any problems either.

Just apply pressure little by little until you gauge the necessary force to remove the coating. Comes out completely even and with ease, you can do it without worry of damaging anything.

Also to note I took the screen out completely, made it much more comfortable than leaving it installed. Start to finish took about 45 mins, really does look brand new now.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:11 PM

2006 CLK350 convertible and 2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Edition
Just wanted to add to this thread. I ordered the kit from Amazon and sure enough, worked flawlessly, The ugly smudges and scratches with the anti-glare film are now gone on the Command Unit of my 2009 SL550. Very please with the results.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:22 PM

E320 Bluetec
What kit did you actually buy do you have a link for it or could

Originally Posted by BenzguySoCal43
Just wanted to add to this thread. I ordered the kit from Amazon and sure enough, worked flawlessly, The ugly smudges and scratches with the anti-glare film are now gone on the Command Unit of my 2009 SL550. Very please with the results.
Hello thank you so much for the reply that drives me crazy would you happen to have the exact name in any tips or instructions you can give me it’s for my E320 Bluetec? I’m a little confused because different people say different things some people say don’t put the number to the number one on it after you clean it and I can’t remember which is which so any advice you can give I would appreciate it thank you John and Houston.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:58 AM

2006 CLK350 convertible and 2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Edition
Originally Posted by Roleybling
Hello thank you so much for the reply that drives me crazy would you happen to have the exact name in any tips or instructions you can give me it’s for my E320 Bluetec? I’m a little confused because different people say different things some people say don’t put the number to the number one on it after you clean it and I can’t remember which is which so any advice you can give I would appreciate it thank you John and Houston.
Hello Roleybling. I ordered the kit that was recommended "claudius2000" who posted the "how to" message in this section. The product is called Novus. Just do a Google search and it will come up. I used the number 2 (red bottle) to remove the anti-glare film from my command unit and then finished with number 1 (blue bottle) to polish and protect the screen. My kit came with two cleaning cloths and the three bottles (green bottle is only for heavy scratches..don't use on the command screen). It took me about 15 minutes total to do the project. Just take your time..use small circular motion and you can run the included cloth along the edges to get all the anti-glare coating off. I also used a q-tip to get into the corners and I did tape off the edge of the black plastic border around the screen to keep the polish from getting on it. I hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 sl550
Guys, I have a 2013 SL550, which carplay unit do I need to order? I think I know, just want to be sure as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Thanks.