W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tried to start itself today! Keyless go problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Car tried to start itself today! Keyless go problem?

I arrived at my destination today and hit the keyless button to turn off my car and it didn't work. I had to put the key in the ignition to turn off the car. I stayed in the car to make a phone call and about ten minutes later I was shocked when the car tried to start by itself. lol It turned over but didn't fire. Then it became stuck in some sort of accessory mode. I had to put the key in again and turn off the car. I got out of the car with visions of my car trying to start itself while I was gone. lol I just got back in the car and have made a few stops with no problems. I am guessing it was a glitch in the keyless go system? I wonder if it got stuck in some sort of delay when I pushed the button to turn it off the first time? I didn’t have my foot on the brake when it tried to start by itself so I am guessing that is why it didn’t fire? Anyone have this happen before?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
Sounds like you need to call these guys asap.....
Attached Thumbnails Car tried to start itself today! Keyless go problem?-scifi_ghosthunters21.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I arrived at my destination today and hit the keyless button to turn off my car and it didn't work. I had to put the key in the ignition to turn off the car. I stayed in the car to make a phone call and about ten minutes later I was shocked when the car tried to start by itself. lol It turned over but didn't fire. Then it became stuck in some sort of accessory mode. I had to put the key in again and turn off the car. I got out of the car with visions of my car trying to start itself while I was gone. lol I just got back in the car and have made a few stops with no problems. I am guessing it was a glitch in the keyless go system? I wonder if it got stuck in some sort of delay when I pushed the button to turn it off the first time? I didn’t have my foot on the brake when it tried to start by itself so I am guessing that is why it didn’t fire? Anyone have this happen before?

Glad it seems to be gone now. If you have access to a STAR unit, hook up and double check everything..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Hi BenzGal. That is completely normal with keyless go. If you press on the shift knob without compressing the brake pedal the accessory mode or power will be there, but the car will not start. To make it go away you have to put the key in the ignition and then pull it out. Nothing wrong with your car
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

iAmgod-LOL No kidding! It was kinda creepy. I know my car is a beast, but I didn't know it was related to Hurbie.

Exotic-Metal55- My mechanic has one but I didn't know if anything would show up since it didn't throw up any error message? Can you get codes without getting any kind of error message? The only problems I have had with the car in the last few years is replacing the crappy fuel pump twice and the keyless go sensor on the drivers side door.

Mikey33-I understand what you were trying to say but that isn't what happened. I know you have to press on the brake when you want to start the car using keyless go. My issue happend when the car was already started. I put it in park and hit the button to turn off the car. You don't have to have the brake engaged when you turn off the car. I had to put key in to turn off my car and pulled key out. Ten min. later it tried to start itself up without me pushing the keyless go button. Hope that is clear? I am sure it has to be a glitch in the keyless go.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Oh, that is weird then
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
i think there was a delay that was happened from keyless go to the main computer which reached late.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by mikey33
Hi BenzGal. That is completely normal with keyless go. If you press on the shift knob without compressing the brake pedal the accessory mode or power will be there, but the car will not start. To make it go away you have to put the key in the ignition and then pull it out. Nothing wrong with your car
fwiw, you don't have to put the key in the ignition and then pull it out. All you have to do is hit the start button one more time and it will shut off completely.

Without touching the brake pedal: touch once and accessory mode is on; touch again and full power (but no engine start) is on; touch the third time and it shuts everything off and you're back to zero again.

(at least that's the way it works in the 2009 E63)
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ali-My thoughts as well.

220s-It works the same way in the E55211.

Can anyone answer the question I asked exotic? Does your car still throw codes even when you don't get an error message?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Ali-My thoughts as well.

220s-It works the same way in the E55211.

Can anyone answer the question I asked exotic? Does your car still throw codes even when you don't get an error message?
My kinda car.... always wants to go

Angela, even if you don't get any codes, your mechanic can still run diagnostic on the keyless go system, which would allow him to maybe identify the fault (assuming there is one).

Last edited by MB_Forever; 04-20-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Does your car still throw codes even when you don't get an error message?
Yes.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
My kinda car.... always wants to go

Angela, even if you don't get any codes, your mechanic can still run diagnostic on the keyless go system, which would allow him to maybe identify the fault (assuming there is one).
Haha Mo! I was telling myself the same thing about it wanting to go. Haven't driven it much latley. It's restless!

I think I figured out the problem today. The button feels like it sticks a little when you push it. Not as smooth as before. This is really stupid but I think I know why it's doing that....yesterday right before this happened, I was taking my sweetie to lunch and a stupid lady pulled out in front of me. He was drinking a coke and when I slammed on the brakes some of it spilled. I wiped some of it off the comman unit. I bet some of that coke got in the shifter button. lol It feels sticky today. Too funny. I will take it to my tech tomorrow to see if he can clean it and run codes.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Haha Mo! I was telling myself the same thing about it wanting to go. Haven't driven it much latley. It's restless!

I think I figured out the problem today. The button feels like it sticks a little when you push it. Not as smooth as before. This is really stupid but I think I know why it's doing that....yesterday right before this happened, I was taking my sweetie to lunch and a stupid lady pulled out in front of me. He was drinking a coke and when I slammed on the brakes some of it spilled. I wiped some of it off the comman unit. I bet some of that coke got in the shifter button. lol It feels sticky today. Too funny. I will take it to my tech tomorrow to see if he can clean it and run codes.
Sounds like you found the culprit. Odd thing happened when I spilled a little Pepsi on my laptop keyboard a few months ago. Every so often I would get several of the same letters in a row, while typing. It didn't start happening right away, only after the Pepsi got sticky, I think.
I had to pull the keyboard apart to clean it, and get it to stop.
Bill
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wsybert
Sounds like you found the culprit. Odd thing happened when I spilled a little Pepsi on my laptop keyboard a few months ago. Every so often I would get several of the same letters in a row, while typing. It didn't start happening right away, only after the Pepsi got sticky, I think.
I had to pull the keyboard apart to clean it, and get it to stop.
Bill
Bill,
Yup, it was the culprit. Now the button is stuck in the middle and you can hear that sound something sticky makes when it tries to rise off what it is stuck on. I can't believe a little bit of coke tried to start my car. lol When the coke started to dry right after it happened, it must have created a suction and pulled the button to the on position. I am debating putting some rubbing alcohol on a qtip and rubbing it between the cracks. If that doesn't work I will take it in. We laughed so hard about this tonight. Too funny!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
You are most likely going to have to take it apart. That crap was everywhere, when I got the keyboard off. Good luck.