Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This a Good Price?? help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is This a Good Price?? help

I am being offered an 03 Brilliant Silver/Charcoal E55 with the HK sound and E1 package for $84K. I haven't really been following the E55 market, so if someone could please advise me on this deal I would appreciate it. THANKS
Old 05-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
That is about $5k over MSRP and hard to say if that is a good deal or not. Some people would say that is a bad deal, because they will not pay a premium to own a car. Other people will say that this is a good price as other dealers are asking $10k premiums. I think you have to ask yourself if instant gratifaction is worth $5k!!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Banned

CarShowKing,

I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I have a Brilliant Silver with Charcoal/Blue interior available. The car has E1, Keyless Go, CD changer, Parktronic & Electric Trunk Closer. I will match the $5k over window, with would put the selling price at $87.5k. Again, not sure if you are looking for the extra options, but just thought I would let you know! If you would like you can send me an e-mail and I will get back to you.

BTW, how do you like the G55? Ride is a bit stiff isn't it?
Old 05-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

CarShowKing

Check your e-mail, I just sent you a message that you might be interested in reading.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 430
MarcusBenz.......

Whatever happened to your policy of only selling cars at or below MSRP?

Does that go out the window with the new E55?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:27 AM
Banned

bcapp

I think you have me confused with another person that posts on this board. I never said (at least I do not remember saying) that I only sell cars at or below invoice. CME4BENZ is another MB salesrep. that posts from a dealer in Pennsylvania and he has made that particular statement, but not I.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:18 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been told in the past that one of the differences between BMW and MB dealerships is that BMW dealers are permitted to sell new, untitled cars at a premium over MSRP, and that MB frowns on this practice.
OK for MB dealers to obtain cars with a few miles on them and then jack up the price.
And while the Fletcher-Joneses of the world may bend the rules and get away with it, most dealerships won't sell new cars over MSRP.
Anyone else?
Old 05-28-2003, 01:22 AM

I don't like it but I understand it

We are capitalists. (except for the blood sucking lawyers that are simply a drag on the economy) We price our goods at what the market can bear. Most of us that can afford these kinds of cars seek to maximize our own profits whether we are a scumbag lawyer or business owner.

So why do we get our panties in a bunch when a salesman seeks to sell something in high demand at an elastic price......how much you got eh? Any of you remember the supply and demand lecture in college accounting. Or was that washed out by all the bud light and donuts. Trust me if you are a smart businessman you would do exactly the same, if not you have no business being in business. Your just a worker.

Somewhere there is a guy that just has to have it now and will be willing to buy it for over sticker. Fine, let him. None of you seem to feel sorry for the salesman when you beat him down to get a good deal so stop the whining about selling over sticker. It is not becoming to a gentleman. Besides its an $80k car so just hide it in the financing......but if you think your ****** size depends on your ability to negotiate under sticker then you should go duke it out with the Toyota salesman. Those boys are well versed in that game and will flat wear you out. Otherwise, knock it off.

Fortunately the pool of the folks that will pay over sticker is small so just wait. These are the guys that buy all the first run cars and find the bugs for the rest of us anyways.........and they pay more to do it. Go figure. Soon our dear Mercedes dealer will be at sticker for the rest of us willing to wait.

(exception and personal rant) The only thing I can't stand is how a few of them (really the minority) sometimes act all haughty, like their crap don't stink..........and just because a factory in pacifist Germany (or did they become france...) sent the place where he works an expensive and low volume car. He didn't handbuild the silly thing for petes sake.

Just testy tonight I guess
Old 05-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
1$ over msrp is too much

but that's just me

talk to CME4BENZ
for MBs at MSRP

Last edited by Eurosport; 05-28-2003 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: I don't like it but I understand it

Originally posted by motormouth
We are capitalists. (except for the blood sucking lawyers that are simply a drag on the economy) We price our goods at what the market can bear. Most of us that can afford these kinds of cars seek to maximize our own profits whether we are a scumbag lawyer or business owner.

So why do we get our panties in a bunch when a salesman seeks to sell something in high demand at an elastic price......how much you got eh? Any of you remember the supply and demand lecture in college accounting. Or was that washed out by all the bud light and donuts. Trust me if you are a smart businessman you would do exactly the same, if not you have no business being in business. Your just a worker.

Somewhere there is a guy that just has to have it now and will be willing to buy it for over sticker. Fine, let him. None of you seem to feel sorry for the salesman when you beat him down to get a good deal so stop the whining about selling over sticker. It is not becoming to a gentleman. Besides its an $80k car so just hide it in the financing......but if you think your ****** size depends on your ability to negotiate under sticker then you should go duke it out with the Toyota salesman. Those boys are well versed in that game and will flat wear you out. Otherwise, knock it off.

Fortunately the pool of the folks that will pay over sticker is small so just wait. These are the guys that buy all the first run cars and find the bugs for the rest of us anyways.........and they pay more to do it. Go figure. Soon our dear Mercedes dealer will be at sticker for the rest of us willing to wait.

(exception and personal rant) The only thing I can't stand is how a few of them (really the minority) sometimes act all haughty, like their crap don't stink..........and just because a factory in pacifist Germany (or did they become france...) sent the place where he works an expensive and low volume car. He didn't handbuild the silly thing for petes sake.

Just testy tonight I guess
Hey, I agree with a lot of your points, so, not so much disagreement, but my chance to rant as well:

1. Apparently the market _can_ bear better prices than some of these dealers are offering, as others are getting them. Making them aware of this fact is good leverage.

2. Being protective of one's funds is not cheap, it's common sense. just because something costs $80K, and is in high demand, doesn't mean I'm going to accept what the other party offers. I will try to get the best deal I can. for example, if I have to pay above sticker, then maybe they can throw in free extended warranty.

2. If you fail to negotiate in a transaction, you should not be in business. If you get emotionally attached to your negotiations, you should not be in business. If you don't know how to negotiate, you should not be in business. If you don't understand supply-side economics, you DEFINATELY should not be in business.

3. I feel sorry for NO SALESMAN. That is the career they accepted, and if I negotiate a good deal, that is the deal they themselves (and by proxy the dealer) have accepted - I have not forced them into it. Hopefully, as in any successful negotiation, it is win/win, but if not, I'm not crying either way, and I'm sure they're not losing any sleep over me.

4. Finally, this all boils down to business. Do you think MBUSA will let me skate on "a couple of bucks" on my payment? Hell no, because they're not in it to win friends, they are a business. Just because I am an individual, does not mean I should manage my finances any differently. I will always try to negotiate the best deal possible. It's not my ****** size I'm thinking of, it's my wallet size.

I believe that as one builds wealth, one should never forget that _every_ purchase contributes to the bottom line, regardless of what one can afford. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns, but regardless, negotiating the best deal is simply smart, not nit-picky.

Oh, and by the way, it was definitely not bud-lite and donuts that washed all of my college-aged brain cells clean
Old 05-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Selling above retail is a $%^ty practice but lives on because buyers will pay.

Case in point: Why does Internet spam thrive? Becuase some people actual order products and services, time and time again.

All dealers 'say' they don't do it ... until they get a HOT car ... and then their true colors show! Unlike other retail operations, (most) car dealers are 'in' bred to take the most money from you possible.

Finally, it's manufacturer that allows delares to sell above retail.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 AM
jar

E55

I have an E55 for MSRP.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:34 PM

You took the words right off my keyboard, Teflon.
You'll find relatively few wealthy people (aside from those who simply inherited money or a business) who throw money down the toilet just because they can. That kind of attitude usually indicates that a number of character flaws are at work which will usually prevent someone from building substantial wealth (exceptions like dot-com flukes exist, of course; and some become 'lazy' after they're set and retired simply to avoid the hassle factor).

Whether it's doing a simple orbitz search to find a competitive airline ticket, or negotiating for an $80,000 car, it's the principle that matters, moreso than the dollars and cents.

Why should you simply GIVE your $$$ to an MB salesperson?
Think MB will let you negotiate a deal which is UNprofitable for them?
There are a LOT more Warren Buffet types driving 10 year old station wagons than there are Jay-Z's driving Bentleys. And I know whose portfolio I'd rather manage if I were a financial planner on retainer.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Originally posted by jar
I have an E55 for MSRP.
Please elaborate!