Sponsored by:

Break in period?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 S63; 2006 Range Rover Supercharged; 2008 TLC Icon FJ43
Break in period?

Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of break in period (MPH, RPM) is best for a 03 E55?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:16 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Some smartass might say now: read the manual.

To be serious: yes, the recommendation in the manual is a pretty good hint. I usually drive my cars the first several hundred km pretty careful (NO kickdown at all) at maximum 4500 rpm.
Then I usually start to use the kickdown but very VERY seldom.
I also try to stay below 5000 rpm all the time. After around 1000 km, I usually start to hit it harder but I avoid driving at full throtttle. After around 1500 km, I start driving my car without caring too much about break in anymore. Hope this helps.
The "secret" is not to push it too hard before the official break in period is over but you really don't have to follow it by the "book" (manual) all the time.
The engine isn't really the "problem" during the break in period because the engines usually do a high stress test run before they are installed. It is the whole package (drivetrain, gearbox, etc.) and other parts who have to be broken in. And the manufacturer also wants to be sure that no part turns "loose" or brakes during the break in period. Some kind of quality insurance if you want to see it that way.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
The sticker on my windshield (before I peeled it off) said...

< 4500 RPM for the First 1000 Miles
< 85 MPH for the First 1000 Miles
No Kickdown for the First 1000 Miles
Old 05-19-2003, 06:26 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree

From the engine perspective, drive it mile one as you would drive it mile 100,000. This is a handbuilt and bench tested engine.

I have owned many a high performance car and the one thing that is of utmost importance is to vary engine speeds. Some has suggested that you need to really run it hard the first few miles to get the piston rings, etc. seated properly.

I called AMG when I got my E55 and they said the exact same thing.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
the engine isnt the only thing that needs to be broken in, but even from then on, its still a debatable thing weather the engine should be roughly run or softly.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:26 AM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
Re: I disagree

Originally posted by alz
From the engine perspective, drive it mile one as you would drive it mile 100,000. This is a handbuilt and bench tested engine.

I have owned many a high performance car and the one thing that is of utmost importance is to vary engine speeds. Some has suggested that you need to really run it hard the first few miles to get the piston rings, etc. seated properly.

I called AMG when I got my E55 and they said the exact same thing.
Exactly !!!! I agree with you. That's how I have been driving mine and feels a LOT better than when I picked it up and I have 850 miles already. ( its been a week )
Old 05-26-2003, 02:02 AM

break-in

A co-worker who drives Porsches (moderately intelligent fellow) told me that for the first hundred or so...be gentle as all the moving parts are "getting to know each other". Engine, transmission, etc. But after about 100 miles its good to begin accelerating a tad harder........not to kickdown ( on automatic) but to put some stress on the engine. He likened it to accelerating moderately in a higher gear....not to the point of luggging the engine. Not sure how you would do this well in a automatic.........especially one as refined as the mercedes whose whole purpose in life is to not let the engine bog.
Not hard accelleration and definitely not enough to kick it down and exceed the RPM cap (which you want to stay below).

Question.....is this accurate or just his own special brand of "I'm a Porsche Driver so I know more than you about cars" kinda thing.

I sure cant wait to smoke his smug *** in his Carrerra.......

Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 AM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is BS information

I also own a Porsche (and yes, my soon-to-come E55 will smoke it in a straight line, but that is another topic - my 911 is light, handles more viscerally and the brakes are in a class of their own -- but my wife and kids can't ride in comfort in a 911).

As regards break in of new engines, the pistons and rings seat rather early (i.e. first 10 or so miles) and studies have shown that by running hard for the first 20 miles, the engine is actually better off.

In any even, the AMG engine is handbuilt and Bench Tested (similar to the Porsche) before you get it. Typically, bench testing involves running the engine Hard for about 50 miles or so as a test. This includes several redline runs (where it is held). (the regular Mercedes engines are not handbuilt, nor are they bench tested)

So, stomp on it just like you would if it had 5000 miles on it.