Sponsored by:

not an MB, but a new toy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I gotta ask. Just saw a white one last night. It had GT2 pinstriped on the side and other orange pinstriping around the car.

Is that from the factory?

Can't find one online. Sounded amazing!!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Haha, when I think lambo I think short and wide...

Like snookie.
Who the heck is snookie?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
A Gallardo might be sleek and smooth, but I think they're wider than Porsches are...
They may be wide.... But they aren't curvy... Hence, my point...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Thanks for the kind words guys, the GT2 is very fun car to drive but it's a handful if you haven't had experience with race cars or the like...it has no traction control, it is a bare bones type of car and with the RSR gearbox it is very tight and has revised gear ratios and straight cut gears with hardend synchros - you need to rev match in this car or it will jerk you around, once you get the gearbox and drive train (this car has all Porsche factory Motorsport drivetrain) down it's a pleasure to drive...think of it like a Factory Cup car with a ton more power and tq but on the street...with a radio and A/C...for a limited build rare car it certainly has the raw and visceral feel of a race car but you can enjoy it on and off the track.

This said nothing beats the cruising and comfort of the SL55...for long trips at breakneck speeds Mercedes does it just right...I drove from LA to MD in 3 days and never got cramped or overly tired being in the SL the GT2 would have put me in the hospital in need of a hip replacement from the intense driving experience and raw driving feel and road response.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Gorgeous car, Sunir.

I see you had Chris come shoot it too. We've been trying to hook up for a shoot of the SL for over a year now.

But the real question is: How well will it hook up at MIR.
Yeah man Chris is a good friend, he saw the car when I first picked it up, he is a very talented photgrapher as well. Come over to my place sometime Clay we can do a joint photo shoot I don't think it will do that well on the strip, it's not made for that at all...it'll do better on a 60 - 130 and on a race track or carving the canyons it will really shine...

The MB and the GT2 are worlds seperate in every aspect...MB is a straight line acceleration brute....GT2 is a true race car in street car disguise, it is a scalpel sharp precision tool to go quickly through a racetrack or curvy section of road.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Believe me, I'd love a GT2, but the truth is that I don't have enough driving experience to handle that. Either I would kill the car, or the car would kill me. Lol.

I hope to one day either get a 996 TT or GT3. I love the curves of the 996 widebody... There's nothing like it. Sitting behind one in traffic almost makes the traffic worth it. No matter what it is, cars, women, anything- men like it curvy.

OP- Any mods planned?
No big mods planned as of yet....it has a TPC tune, modified sport exhaust, and TPC swaybars, and the RS drivetrain and gearbox so that's plenty for starters...down the road who knows

yeah the GT2 is definately not recommended as a starter car...it's nicknamed 'the widowmaker' not for nothing haha ... I've been racing since '04 and instructing with PCA and other clubs since '05 so it's really a good fit for me but yeah you need to have some track experience or know how to work with a car like it to really enjoy the car...it's a really intense driving experience every minute behind the wheel.

Get a 996 C2 or C4S for starters they are perfect cars...great handling, very fun, not gobs of power but the cars a very very capable right out of the box and are great learning cars for track or high performance driving.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Nice addition to your garage.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I gotta ask. Just saw a white one last night. It had GT2 pinstriped on the side and other orange pinstriping around the car.
Usually the GT3 RS is the one with the wild color schemes.....
Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Is that from the factory?

Can't find one online. Sounded amazing!!
Interestingly the GT3 or the GT3 RS have side decal bardging most frequently seen from the factory. You can buy side badging that says " Carrera " or "Turbo" or "GT2" or GT3 or what have you from Porsche etc...but I don't know that they come from the factory that way I think those are livery add ons that you can add if you choose, they harken back to to the livery these cars used in rallyes back in the days one of the most famous being the Pan-American rallye
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by Sunir
Interestingly the GT3 or the GT3 RS have side decal bardging most frequently seen from the factory. You can buy side badging that says " Carrera " or "Turbo" or "GT2" or GT3 or what have you from Porsche etc...but I don't know that they come from the factory that way I think those are livery add ons that you can add if you choose, they harken back to to the livery these cars used in rallyes back in the days one of the most famous being the Pan-American rallye
Wow... You just made me wonder if any of the newer cars were done up like the old school ones. Something like this- http://www.sportcardigest.com/wp-con...s-300x199.jpg- foglights and all. Lol
Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Your link don't work
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Your link don't work
Sorry, something along these lines:

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...ar_Front_1.jpg
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
took the GT2 to cars & coffee on Saturday morning ... what a fun drive thru scenic twisty roads in great falls, VA! Car felt fantastic thru the tight twisties toggling between 2nd & 3rd. At the event got a nice people come over and have a look, most common comments were 1) is that a kitted turbo? 2) what's the difference from a GT3 and 3) love the color matched wheels...is that a factory option?

Then I went home swapped cars and got into the SL55 and enjoyed the rest of the sunny day with the top down - there was a car cruise from MD to philly for Chees Steaks at Tony Lukes...the SL55 was the perfect cruiser for this trip!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Sunir
took the GT2 to cars & coffee on Saturday morning ... what a fun drive thru scenic twisty roads in great falls, VA! Car felt fantastic thru the tight twisties toggling between 2nd & 3rd. At the event got a nice people come over and have a look, most common comments were 1) is that a kitted turbo? 2) what's the difference from a GT3 and 3) love the color matched wheels...is that a factory option?

Then I went home swapped cars and got into the SL55 and enjoyed the rest of the sunny day with the top down - there was a car cruise from MD to philly for Chees Steaks at Tony Lukes...the SL55 was the perfect cruiser for this trip!
BALLER!!!

Congrats on the new P-car. I had a 04 X50 Vert and got it down to 10.98 @132 with the clutch slipping at the top of 3rd and 4th! What a cruiser!

The widow maker is so true!

Be safe my friend!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
BALLER!!!

Congrats on the new P-car. I had a 04 X50 Vert and got it down to 10.98 @132 with the clutch slipping at the top of 3rd and 4th! What a cruiser!

The widow maker is so true!

Be safe my friend!!!
Thanks Bruce... yeah the X50 is a badass car...I loved mine, the only reason I sold it was that an opportunity for this mint GT2 came about...

that X50 vert of yours sounds like a beast bro!! nuthin like top down boosting!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Somebody famous once said, "Everybody should own a convertible once in their lifetime..." I have yet to own one and it's on my list. Thinking SL55, 63 or 65.

Gotta love the folding steel hardtop, no downside there!

You sir are a Baller!

Alex
Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Somebody famous once said, "Everybody should own a convertible once in their lifetime..." I have yet to own one and it's on my list. Thinking SL55, 63 or 65.

Gotta love the folding steel hardtop, no downside there!

You sir are a Baller!

Alex
I think you are right a convertible is def nice to have on a nice evening or night out...I am not a big convertible guy, I like hardtops, true hardtops without sunroofs, moonroofs, T-tops or targa tops (unless it's a specific rare Targa) ... the SL55 is great because it is a hardtop coupe AND a convertible whenever you want it to be...it is as close to a true hardtop a convertible can be, and it looks great in either form...it is a true drophead coup!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
My toys are always convertibles. Don't see a point in a small coupe. Right now, a 996TT
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by tscales
My toys are always convertibles. Don't see a point in a small coupe. Right now, a 996TT
lol right on...

Heck I think almost all of these cars we have as enthusiasts can be classified as toys...who really needs 500+ hp right lol