Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts install w/ Pics *first timer, DIY style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
--sold Sl55--
Originally Posted by maxusa
I would say do not bother with the brace. I bought one pre-emptively, and quickly realized how ridiculous the idea was. You still need to jack up the engine from bottom -- the brace only holds, cannot pull up. Why risking damage to your fenders, dealing with sagging brace? Totally unnecessary when you need few inches to clear. Hope this helps.
Arent there braces that can lift up as well? In fact I believe that’s how WIS specifies it to be done.

In any case I was leaning toward a cherry picker regardless, as I have other similar jobs I need to do on my BMWs.

just need to figure out where the lift points are. Can the engine really be carried by the supercharger as shown in the OP?

Last edited by 850csi; 07-28-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63
Originally Posted by maxusa
I want to share my experience changing motor mounts on my W211. My vehicle is a 2009 E63, .......
Thanks for posting your experience. I just did the motor mounts on my 2009 E63 with 48k miles on it and they were both just as shot as maxusa's pics showed. Completely transformed the car, and should have done this 15k miles ago. Motor mounts are basically a wear item on these cars.

I dropped the exhaust header pipes on mine and had no problems after soaking the bolts in WD-40 for 10 min. All the exhaust hardware is stainless. The (4) O2 sensors all have connectors in one place under the transmission which makes it really easy to disconnect those. I think unbolting the steering rack would have been more work. Getting the heat shields on the mounts aligned was a PITA indeed.

One strange thing did happen: The hot idle speed is now higher than before, like 1000 rpm in neutral. I looked/listened for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any, and really, nothing was disturbed with any plumbing of the intake system other than removing the airboxes. I had the battery disconnected for 24 hrs during the procedure and wonder if there was a re-learning procedure I didn't know about. Strangely, cold idle and during warmup the rpm is normal as it was previously. Any ideas?
The following users liked this post:
PNW_E63_AMG (07-31-2022)