Frozen Boost Heat Exchanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Originally Posted by Already
Im not sure that would even be an issue, If Im not mistaken the ID of the pump inlet is much smaller then it appears as well (cm30), and a closed system like this is going to be limited by single smallest dia./ most restrictive point right!?!
Thanks for the response. But I'm just gonna stick with a simpler bolt on solution for now. Price wise both are relatively the same.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
What is better to run just the Zzp HE or run it with the oem one? Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
1000th post that is all.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
lol
Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
i would say its better than OEM for sure -- it looks way nicer -- larger surface area & larger core & Larger h2o capacity & better end caps aluminum not plastic
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Originally Posted by guysandiego
i would say its better than OEM for sure -- it looks way nicer -- larger surface area & larger core & Larger h2o capacity & better end caps aluminum not plastic
But would it be better to run in conjunction with the stock one, or just this one itself?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM

good question -- i was debating that -- After seeing the size of it and the lack of space -- I just ran it alone -- its already difficult enough to squeeze the oil cooler in there --- You probably could mount the OEM in front of the new HE-- but that would be tooooo ugly.

I never had shutdown problems with the OEM set-up - So, it was an easier decsion for me -- knowing it was a luxury upgrade for my setup
Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
I pretty much have the same mods as you so probably run it solo as well. Thanks mate!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by tbal
But would it be better to run in conjunction with the stock one, or just this one itself?
Tony-
Running another heat exchanger in conjunction with the OEM unit is the BEST option! PERIOD!!

Most of the options where you remove the OEM and replace it with a larger unit obstruct the amount of air getting to your oil cooler which is extremely detrimental to the efficiency of your oil cooler. Food for thought!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM

E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
thanks for the insight Bruce
Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Tony-
Running another heat exchanger in conjunction with the OEM unit is the BEST option! PERIOD!!

Most of the options where you remove the OEM and replace it with a larger unit obstruct the amount of air getting to your oil cooler which is extremely detrimental to the efficiency of your oil cooler. Food for thought!
Follow up - there are a couple of OEM H/E's floating around in the classifieds for $100-150. Since we're looking to add fluid to the system as opposed to increasing surface area, and since we know that the OEM one will fit in the grille area as some people have done running them in series, would that provide a pretty cheap way to expand the volume of our system, or am I missing something big here? I've got the newer bosch unit at the moment.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
OEM heat exchanger will not fit with another OEM heat exchanger. unless you cut the whole bumper and the steel support and choose not to run the mesh grill.
I think the pump has a lot to do with keeps IATs down. I have seen a meziere pump on a stock heat changer and the IATs are in control with a stock pulley on the car.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Hard to argue with Bruce's food for thought -- However, I believe I have enough air flow over the oil cooler -- + Dont we have 2 other oil coolers with fans behind the fog lights?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by AMG_RL
thanks for the insight Bruce
You are welcome!

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Follow up - there are a couple of OEM H/E's floating around in the classifieds for $100-150. Since we're looking to add fluid to the system as opposed to increasing surface area, and since we know that the OEM one will fit in the grille area as some people have done running them in series, would that provide a pretty cheap way to expand the volume of our system, or am I missing something big here? I've got the newer bosch unit at the moment.
Michael-
I tried to run the PLM in tandem with the stock HE on an E55 but the end tanks on the OEM are just too wide and the PLM stuck out too far. Plus with the PLM the oil cooler is stuffed even lower in the bumper and it gets much less air than when it was in the factory position. While you do need to increase the capacity to aid in keeping the IAT's in check you also want to add increased surface area. While the surface area is limited, if you can run the fluid through 2 separate heat exchangers, you will get a larger decrease in fluid temperature than with only 1 heat exchanger. Piggybacking 2 OEM heat exchangers will increase capacity and surface area and will help in a very cost efficient way. It will also aid in recovery time.

I have a prototype heat exchanger design/size installed on a 06 SL55 with a split system that seems to be working awesome. We upgraded the pump to a Meziere WP136, mounted the heat exchanger in conjunction with the OEM unit , split the system(thanks Shardul for the overflow bottle) and it works. We hot lapped the car at E-town in a bracket event and it was within .05 on 3 back to back runs(the only cool down was the return road back to the water box). It helped keep the IAT's in check but the recovery was EPIC!!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Bruce can you develop a belt wrap kit. I am tired to all this belt slip. I am only seeing 15.2psi at WOT.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by shardul
OEM heat exchanger will not fit with another OEM heat exchanger. unless you cut the whole bumper and the steel support and choose not to run the mesh grill.
I think the pump has a lot to do with keeps IATs down. I have seen a meziere pump on a stock heat changer and the IATs are in control with a stock pulley on the car.
I'm preparing the car for a not stock pulley. Just trying to visualize the veritable plethora of options available before biting the bullet.

You are welcome!

Michael-
I tried to run the PLM in tandem with the stock HE on an E55 but the end tanks on the OEM are just too wide and the PLM stuck out too far. Plus with the PLM the oil cooler is stuffed even lower in the bumper and it gets much less air than when it was in the factory position. While you do need to increase the capacity to aid in keeping the IAT's in check you also want to add increased surface area. While the surface area is limited, if you can run the fluid through 2 separate heat exchangers, you will get a larger decrease in fluid temperature than with only 1 heat exchanger. Piggybacking 2 OEM heat exchangers will increase capacity and surface area and will help in a very cost efficient way. It will also aid in recovery time.

I have a prototype heat exchanger design/size installed on a 06 SL55 with a split system that seems to be working awesome. We upgraded the pump to a Meziere WP136, mounted the heat exchanger in conjunction with the OEM unit , split the system(thanks Shardul for the overflow bottle) and it works. We hot lapped the car at E-town in a bracket event and it was within .05 on 3 back to back runs(the only cool down was the return road back to the water box). It helped keep the IAT's in check but the recovery was EPIC!!
Thanks for the detailed reply! Lots to think about, and lots of measurements to take, it seems.

Despite the differences in cost between the Cobalt h/e and some of our pricier options, it seems that we're actually pretty blessed price wise even with the expensive units.

I was at the speed shop here in town that we use for the family race car [broken CV-Shaft/CV-Axle/Half-shaft? it seems] and was talking to the owner about the external oil coolers that cup cars et al put in front of their bumpers...he quoted $1500 + install just to run a carrera oil cooler. I knew about the porsche markup beforehand, but damn
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Bruce can you develop a belt wrap kit. I am tired to all this belt slip. I am only seeing 15.2psi at WOT.
boo hoo.

Katie's been dailying my car to work every day since she moved in. All I know is that the wheels haven't been curbed yet, and the front lip is still intact. Knock on wood. She is looking at another 335 tomorrow listed for $800 more than she offered on the last one she looked at, hopefully she'll give me my car back soon. You don't have any black kidney grilles lying around to sell to me cheap do you?

Are you pulling the manifold pressure with a datalogger or do you have a boost gauge set up?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
19 to 20 psi no slip
Its all in the belt and pulley prep
VHT track bite on the belt, brush it on thick and rub any any excess off. Brake cleaner on the pulley groves to clean any oil off.
Belt WILL NOT SLIP.
http://www.jegs.com/i/VHT/870/SP162/10002/-1?CT=999
Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
We need to work on this together Shardul!

I'm preparing the car for a not stock pulley. Just trying to visualize the veritable plethora of options available before biting the bullet.
There is plenty of help for you so you can make the best decision so ask away and research, research and research!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Lots to think about, and lots of measurements to take, it seems.

Despite the differences in cost between the Cobalt h/e and some of our pricier options, it seems that we're actually pretty blessed price wise even with the expensive units.
Do it once and do it right!

I was at the speed shop here in town that we use for the family race car [broken CV-Shaft/CV-Axle/Half-shaft? it seems] and was talking to the owner about the external oil coolers that cup cars et al put in front of their bumpers...he quoted $1500 + install just to run a carrera oil cooler. I knew about the porsche markup beforehand, but damn
You should look into setrab oil coolers for your Porsche.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
19 to 20 psi no slip
Its all in the belt and pulley prep
VHT track bite on the belt, brush it on thick and rub any any excess off. Brake cleaner on the pulley groves to clean any oil off.
Belt WILL NOT SLIP.
http://www.jegs.com/i/VHT/870/SP162/10002/-1?CT=999
Oh yeah. I forgot the Bolton Anti-Slip sneakyneon remedy. Thanks for the reminder Nick.

PS Should have the new polyurethane M113k motor mounts this weekend!!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
You should look into setrab oil coolers for your Porsche.
The price of the oil cooler is part of a bigger equation. A buddy put his 996 narrowbody gutted race car into the wall at the last club race and hasn't decided whether he's going to transplant his 3.4 into his next race car. In the event that engine becomes available, I want to know the out the door price including peripherals in order to shoe-horn it into this guy.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Thank you Bruce for chiming in

I dont think their will be enough room to run the stock HE with the ZZP HE?? Also I wonder how it would clear my e63 bumper...

Would the new bosch pump do, or would say a cm90 be better for 2 HE's?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by tbal
Thank you Bruce for chiming in

I dont think their will be enough room to run the stock HE with the ZZP HE?? Also I wonder how it would clear my e63 bumper...

Would the new bosch pump do, or would say a cm90 be better for 2 HE's?
Which ZZP heat exchanger did you order? The dimensions will dictate if you can piggyback the 2 exchangers.

The Bosch pump is fine but if you wanted an upgrade(it is a huge upgrade in quality/performance from the CM90) use a Meziere WP136. You will have to fab a bracket for the Meziere but that pump is killa! Split that system too while you are at it!

Let me know if you need any help.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Bruce this one http://zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion/...=895&catid=178

Can the Bosch handle the 2 HE's? Will it fit? Lol so many questions.

Last but not least is their any significant difference in the split system? Which parts are req. for that? I keep hearing it's a pita to bleed the split system?

Again thanks Bruce!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
I decided not to split the system...

Although at this point my dilemma is whether to run the stock HE in conjunction with the ZZP one, or to run just the ZZP one...

My concern, because the ZZP HE would be in front of the oem one, how effect would cooling be on the oem he as it wouldn't be seeing much air?

Confused, Bruce? Shardul? lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Frozen Boost Heat Exchanger