W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The world of car repair, what's your take?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
The world of car repair, what's your take?

We all know that feeling - a light comes on in the dash, or you hear a noise that is not normal. Especially with our amg's, we are more tuned in to what is going on with our cars. This forum is a great help too for diagnosing.

The best feeling is knowing how to diagnose and fix your own problem, it feels great and you save a lot of money. Unfortunately this is not possible for everything, due to your own time or diffilculty of the job.

I found that you really need to be resourceful, finding a good indie mechanic and getting parts oem. If i had a warranty, i'd bring it to the dealer, but their prices are much more expensive, and my biggest gripe is that generally they are not as creative with repairs as an indie might be. For example, an inde may weld or build a bracket for cheap to secure a part, while the dealer may replace the whole system at thousands more and for no practical reason. I am all for keeping a car fully oem and up to spec, but somethings are just plastic and metal and can be adjusted.

I think my point here is this: fear of the unknown and cost. If i feel something is wrong with my car, and i have no idea what, the dealer scares me. The more knowledge i have, the more you have an idea of cost, the better. An indie is generally less scary due to price. Heck, mercedes charges just to diagnose!

This forum is great, sometimes you can pinpoint the exact symptoms of a problem and take the necessary steps to remedy it correctly both price and parts wise.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
My experience has been a bit different. Dealers have charged me less than indies to run diagnostics. Actual repairs have, of course, cost more at dealerships.
Brgds
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Best arrangement is getting a good mercedes mechanic to do your work on his own time. Speak to them and see if they do work outside of the dealership.

You have access to oem parts and "oem" processes but you decide how far you want to go in terms of their repair policy. Sometimes as you say a simple diy solution here or there will save allot in terms of a full replacement repair approach.