Sponsored by:

PLM header installed and and gas tank changed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Any aftermarket probably are better than stock. But, some are noticeably better than other aftermarkets too. I had the VRP HEMs before I switched to the PLMs and as stated before the throttle response is noticeably improved over the VRP HEMs which were already a great improvement over stock. No numbers here, but just an observation being made by someone who has had hundreds of WOT pulls on VRP HEMs and now about 2 dozen WOT runs on the PLMs.
Agreed, the throttle really response a lot better than stock one.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by komp55
You guys crack me up. KLR CLS rags on me about an expressing an opinion, only to learn that I've actually personally installed shorty headers on my car and dyno'ed before and after (and didn't get the HUGE gains he claims). But his silence is deafening about your expressed opinion about "noticing" a difference after you installed your headers. No one has yet refuted my statement about any manufacturer or other person claiming the kinds of gains being claimed for PLM headers.

Then there's no response regarding my earlier in the thread questioning of doing a base run, the new header install, and more dyno runs all within 3.5 hours. So we go back to his original post regarding his header install and find this quote on 6-12-10:

This, I might believe since he had a professional mechanic do the install.

And in reading through the thread we see that other respected board members questioned the smoothing factor used on his dyno graph and the accuracy of his base runs. I have no further concerns; reading the original thread told me everything I needed to know.

Maybe we can just agree that any headers are better on a 55K than stock manfolds. I'm done on this thread; it's been fun.

As you have yet to provide anything tangible to this thread other than to flame on others, it is better off without you. Go enjoy your noodle Evoposport headers-you know, the one's you have not provided any dynos with.

Last edited by pearlpower; 05-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Go enjoy your noodle Evoposport headers-you know, the one's you have not provided any dynos with.
Like the dynos you've provided?

The Evosports gave my car peak HP gain of 20 and peak torque gain of 28 ft. lbs. Everything else stock with no cooling upgrades. Unfortunately, the runs were done about 10 months apart with different wheels (heavier) on the car when the Evosports were tested. Same dyno but probably different atmospheric conditions. The runs were done over four years ago, and the current version of Winpep which I just downloaded after finding the old dyno files won't display the graphs correctly, so the figures above are from the respective data tables.

I think it's probably time for long tubes. Back in the day (some of us have enjoyed our cars longer than others), I think most guys were reporting around 25HP gains or so with the Evosports. Obviously, there are more header choices available nowadays than when Evosport and Renntech were the only games in town.

Last edited by komp55; 05-23-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tough to stay away from a good time....

To me, the Evosport headers does not appear to be the idea header design. They went out of their way to be equal length yet built a spaghetti header design which in my opinion would hinder peaks numbers. 10 months between dynos mean nothing as the dyno could have been adjusted in the mean time which may be why your result is lower than what others with the same header have reported. But you know this.

The VRP HEMS have been proven to provide 27 or so RWHP from a crappy yet simple design. The PLM headers are better in design in my opinion than either Evoposport or VRP. Is it 40+rwhp? One dyno which you do not want to accept says it is. Even if it were 35rwhp I would be happy with that number.

Point is, if a crappy header design such as VRP can put up 27-30RWHP which has been proven, a header design that in my opinion better is only going to help out further. But I will probably follow your route and go LT one of these days as well.

Last edited by pearlpower; 05-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Tested 0-100KM last night, it didn't do well even a bit worst than before. The best I had was about 5.1s, maybe its time to get some new tyres cus it spins a lot.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by edmond1129
Tested 0-100KM last night, it didn't do well even a bit worst than before. The best I had was about 5.1s, maybe its time to get some new tyres cus it spins a lot.
If you can't put it effectively to the ground, even 2000hp is not going to help.