Sponsored by:

PLM header installed and and gas tank changed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
PLM header installed and and gas tank changed

Feeling good today cus I have the PLM header installed. Was worrying that doesn't fit cus mine is a RHD car.

Also, I changed a new fuel tank becus of the gas smell, the problem was becus the orange cap area(should be the breather/refueling vent) crack.

Just don't know how much power/sound will gain from this header, and do you guys with header wrap them for keeping the heat in?
Attached Thumbnails PLM header installed and and gas tank changed-img_1264.jpg   PLM header installed and and gas tank changed-img_1265.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Originally Posted by edmond1129
Feeling good today cus I have the PLM header installed. Was worrying that doesn't fit cus mine is a RHD car.

Also, I changed a new fuel tank becus of the gas smell, the problem was becus the orange cap area(should be the breather/refueling vent) crack.

Just don't know how much power/sound will gain from this header, and do you guys with header wrap them for keeping the heat in?
Looking good man. Of course, let some vids follow once you get er done.
btw out of curiosity what kind of material are our gas tanks made of?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
FWIW I gained 42whp from these headers...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
damn I didn't realize there was so much to gain from these headers. Was that with a tune/ any other mods to the car
Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
All by themselves? So what's that, about 54hp at the crank? I call And my resonator delete gained 37whp.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
I recently replaced my old VRP logs with the PLMs and for me, I could feel the difference. Response is quicker and the exhaust note is just a tad deeper but not noticible to most. The PLM design is many times better than the VRP logs though.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by komp55
All by themselves? So what's that, about 54hp at the crank? I call And my resonator delete gained 37whp.
Actually, I've seen more than one person post a 40+whp gain from headers. The oem manifolds are really sad when you look at them. Even my 240whp Infiniti G35 had better made oem manifolds, and it put down half the power.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
The PLMs are Chinese knock-offs of the Renntech shorty design. Neither are actually true headers, more like enhanced logs. I believe 40+ HP gains are possible from long tubes only, but not from just shorties only.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
The PLMs are Chinese knock-offs of the Renntech shorty design. Neither are actually true headers, more like enhanced logs. I believe 40+ HP gains are possible from long tubes only, but not from just shorties only.

I am glad you "belive" that....... where as I "know" I made 42whp more after install of headers only( no tune change), on the same dyno within 3.5 hrs in slightly warmer temps after the install. Pre Dyno -3 runs( 406, 403 408whp , post , 442, 445, 448whp). Having seen both headers first hand, PLM's are slightly different than Renntechs in the merge section. Some people have had the merge collector crack. I had one happen recently, but just had it re-welded stronger with a gusset. Seems the RT headers have this problem too. Not promoting these either way, just providing my experience...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
I am glad you "belive" that....... where as I "know"
Okay, you "know." Got it. But if I were you, I would sincerely question the ability of the dyno operator or the accuracy and consistency of the dyno used itself, because shorties don't make over 40HP at the rear wheels without other mods. Your alleged results are far above those of anyone else that's dyno'ed shorties as the only mod. Even Renntech only claims 15HP gain for their shorty headers and everyone knows that the concept of highly effective merge collectors on shorty manifolds is almost an oxymoron.

But now I can't help myself because the story keeps getting better. So you did 3 dyno runs on an admittedly warm day that got warmer as it progressed, presumably with the engine up to normal operating tempature, and then, within only 3.5 hrs., the engine, manifolds and catalysts cooled down sufficiently to allow the stock manifolds to be removed, the replacement manifolds to be installed and the car redyno'ed?

Which hospital burn unit did the installer seek treatment at following the install?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
1/4 mile times tell the true story
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Okay, you "know." Got it. But if I were you, I would sincerely question the ability of the dyno operator or the accuracy and consistency of the dyno used itself, because shorties don't make over 40HP at the rear wheels without other mods. Your alleged results are far above those of anyone else that's dyno'ed shorties as the only mod. Even Renntech only claims 15HP gain for their shorty headers and everyone knows that the concept of highly effective merge collectors on shorty manifolds is almost an oxymoron.

But now I can't help myself because the story keeps getting better. So you did 3 dyno runs on an admittedly warm day that got warmer as it progressed, presumably with the engine up to normal operating tempature, and then, within only 3.5 hrs., the engine, manifolds and catalysts cooled down sufficiently to allow the stock manifolds to be removed, the replacement manifolds to be installed and the car redyno'ed?

Which hospital burn unit did the installer seek treatment at following the install?
Been Through this before with another know it all on this board ( Read Jangy). Dyno operator builds 2000+ hp motors and probably more fabrication and tuning experience than everyone on this board together. Dyno with headers, 2nd cat delete and 185 pulley and tune made 499whp 530 wtq so it right on where it should be. If you haven't installed these headers or seen them for yourself you are only guessing...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Installed the same headers, very noticeable difference. Measured them and they are larger in diameter vs the reg logs also. So far no issues.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Been Through this before with another know it all on this board
Thanks for ascribing more knowledge to me than I've ever claimed. Love it when someone resorts to name calling; it's so . . . adult.

I've seen PLM manifolds (but didn't install them for that reason) and if you want to believe they made 40whp with no other change in variables, you just go with it. It's just so odd that no one else with any brand of shorty header, including manufacturers of same, have ever achieved or even claim the results you do. That's why one might question your claim.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for ascribing more knowledge to me than I've ever claimed. Love it when someone resorts to name calling; it's so . . . adult.

I've seen PLM manifolds (but didn't install them for that reason) and if you want to believe they made 40whp with no other change in variables, you just go with it. It's just so odd that no one else with any brand of shorty header, including manufacturers of same, have ever achieved or even claim the results you do. That's why one might question your claim.
Had the 'logs' installed at one time and went to PLM headers. The improvements of the PLM headers were noticeable over the logs. Either way, anything is better than stock. So congrats to the OP on your mod.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Here is a 33.5 wheel gain with headers only on You Tube

40 doesn't seem that far off no?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by edmond1129

Edmond,
How long did the fuel tank take to change out?
TIA
Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

LOL. Here's the link to Marranos Enhancement Division (your YouTube video company) showing a picture of their custom long tube style headers used for their European car tuning upgrades. Not exactly PLM style manifolds.

http://www.marranos.com.au/index.cfm...an_performance

Have never disputed that 40hp is doable with long tubes. What sort of gains did your car achieve when you added your long tubes?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Again, You are basing you comments on your own opinion, where as I am basing it on fact. I have posted pre and post dynos before when I first installed these. Might I ask how many 55K cars you have dyno'ed after headers only? At least 3 other people have install these and made greater than 35 whp. I also installed these on my friends car as well and made 38whp on his( I don;t have the dyno on me). Do a search. I love when people call BS or people liars when they feel something they read on the internet once makes them know better then someone who actually installed and tested and posted the results for the benefit of the community.

Bottom line is no one who has ever Actually installed these on their own car has ever complained about them making too little power. Use in good health..
Old 05-21-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Edmond,
How long did the fuel tank take to change out?
TIA
About 3-4 hours I think, cus need to take off exhaust and propeller shaft.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Might I ask how many 55K cars you have dyno'ed after headers only?
Just one, same as you. I didn't go with PLMs, and mine didn't make the HP gains you're claiming. And like I wrote before, no one else that's done shorties only, and no shorty header manufacturer has ever claimed the gains you do.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just one, same as you. I didn't go with PLMs, and mine didn't make the HP gains you're claiming. And like I wrote before, no one else that's done shorties only, and no shorty header manufacturer has ever claimed the gains you do.

I'm claiming it. So make it two now. Or close. There are some here claiming 60hp for long tubes. Point is, various dynos, conditions before and after, variables, etc. Do you have or know of any dyno on your Evosport headers which to me have overly long runners even if only to keep things equal. VRP Hems have been proven over and over to add 27-30 RWHP, and that design is hardly what I would call a nice flowing header design. So yes, I would say 40 is right in the ballpark as I noticed a difference between the PLM over the Logs.

VRP Logs 27-30RWHP

Evosport

Renntech

PLM

Last edited by pearlpower; 05-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Some people won't beleive despite whatever proof you put in front of them. All I know is my car make enourmous Dyno Proven Power, is fast as hell, and the PLM headers are a big part of that. Maybe people just want to justify spending much more money for very little more gains...

Last edited by KLR CLS; 05-21-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by pearlpower
I noticed a difference between the PLM over the Logs.1
You guys crack me up. KLR CLS rags on me about an expressing an opinion, only to learn that I've actually personally installed shorty headers on my car and dyno'ed before and after (and didn't get the HUGE gains he claims). But his silence is deafening about your expressed opinion about "noticing" a difference after you installed your headers. No one has yet refuted my statement about any manufacturer or other person claiming the kinds of gains being claimed for PLM headers.

Then there's no response regarding my earlier in the thread questioning of doing a base run, the new header install, and more dyno runs all within 3.5 hours. So we go back to his original post regarding his header install and find this quote on 6-12-10:

Dyno runs were about 6 hours apart on the same dyno with the day getting much warmer for the post install run.
This, I might believe since he had a professional mechanic do the install.

And in reading through the thread we see that other respected board members questioned the smoothing factor used on his dyno graph and the accuracy of his base runs. I have no further concerns; reading the original thread told me everything I needed to know.

Maybe we can just agree that any headers are better on a 55K than stock manfolds. I'm done on this thread; it's been fun.

Last edited by komp55; 05-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Maybe we can just agree that any headers are better on a 55K than stock manfolds. I'm done on this thread; it's been fun.
Any aftermarket probably are better than stock. But, some are noticeably better than other aftermarkets too. I had the VRP HEMs before I switched to the PLMs and as stated before the throttle response is noticeably improved over the VRP HEMs which were already a great improvement over stock. No numbers here, but just an observation being made by someone who has had hundreds of WOT pulls on VRP HEMs and now about 2 dozen WOT runs on the PLMs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PLM header installed and and gas tank changed