Sponsored by:

This car is going to get me killed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
This car is going to get me killed...

So I just bought an 04 E55 a couple weekends ago. I flew down to Ohio and drove back up to Chicago, stopping in Indianapolis along the way to visit some family.

The trip overall was uneventful, getting a couple head turns here and there, but mostly just setting the cruise control and growling at the occasional bug splattering on the windshield.

Since that weekend I've learned a couple things. For one, jumping out into an intersection a bit to aggressively will vastly increase my heart rate. A bit of spin in the rear was all that had happened, but what the hell...I hardly tapped the gas...that's not supposed to happen in a normal car...

Second...I've opened up the throttle a bit both on main streets and highway while giving a couple friends a test drive. I haven't found a speed at which this girl doesn't want to leap onto the car in front of her, latch onto it's neck, pierce the jugular and kill it. It's a bit unsettling. Something this comfortable shouldn't be able to do that.

And third...Someone posted the "sneaky ecu reset" on here. I figured I might as well let the car adapt to MY driving style, so I reset it with an evil grin on my face, knowing full well that I wasn't going to be emulating my "daily drive" routine with everything back to the raw, original state. That being said, the E55 has very comfortable headrests, though for a moment I was thinking they should come with a neckbrace. Wow did she kick after that reset.

I'm trying to be careful. Last week I somehow "unintentionally" kept finding excuses to drive to see friends and relatives that I normally don't go very far out of my way to see. Last Thursday a cute brunette in a Yaris tried to race me on the highway. Later that night a blonde soccer mom tried to race me on the way back home in a mini-van. Driving has never been so entertaining.

Every now and then I'll step a bit too much on the throttle and there's an evil voice in my head that just giggles uncontrollably. There's so much temptation to just hold the pedal down, but somehow my rational side has won that argument...at least this far.

Anyhow, the community here has been excellent, so I wanted to drop in and thank you folks. Everyone I've spoken to or PMd has been extremely helpful, and generous with their time. I know several people who believe in this stereotype where benz owners are elitest snobs and look down on other people. Surely this must be true for a few people out there, but I've seen none of it here.

So thanks again. I'm loving the car so far. Hope to see you on the road sometime!

-D
Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM

2005 E55 amg
If your not driving it with the pedal mashed to the floor at all times then your not even driving it. Don't be a sissy lol jk

It is a pretty awesome car, enjoy it!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Enjoy the car, and trust me - it is normal to feel this way. The AMG's, and the E55 especially, is a blast to drive.

Our common sense must reign in, or else you'd be mashing the pedal all day! It is a fun feeling though, so don't feel guilty, just drive safely.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Im always volunteering to go get the kids or run to the store. I usually go out of my way.
Fun....isn't it.
Then again, I think I've been this way with about every car i've owned.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Just wait, just like the tranny adapting, your mind, reflexes, and body will adapt. . . you WILL start to think it is slow (or at least slower than you originally thought); then you will start to ask "questions" on how to get just "a little more" power; something safe and conservative just to let the corvettes and p-cars know that it wasn't an "accident" they just got passed. . .then you'll run into modded P-cars and vettes (hopefully BMW's) and then you'll think, just a little more power. . .and before you know it: headers, HE, pulley, tune, drag radials. . .I would say you're in trouble but the fact the of the matter is the fun is just beginning
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by motorkas
Just wait, just like the tranny adapting, your mind, reflexes, and body will adapt. . . you WILL start to think it is slow (or at least slower than you originally thought); then you will start to ask "questions" on how to get just "a little more" power; something safe and conservative just to let the corvettes and p-cars know that it wasn't an "accident" they just got passed. . .then you'll run into modded P-cars and vettes (hopefully BMW's) and then you'll think, just a little more power. . .and before you know it: headers, HE, pulley, tune, drag radials. . .I would say you're in trouble but the fact the of the matter is the fun is just beginning
Well said and very true
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
It is great that you are enjoying the car so much. I know my neighbor almost soiled himself when he went on the test drive with me.

I do the same thing with going out for drives and errands just to spend time with the car. Plus, I am even more thankful to have it now since almost losing it a few months when I needed to help out family.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
It is great that you are enjoying the car so much. I know my neighbor almost soiled himself when he went on the test drive with me.

I do the same thing with going out for drives and errands just to spend time with the car. Plus, I am even more thankful to have it now since almost losing it a few months when I needed to help out family.
Glad to hear that your situation turned for the better and that you got to keep her!!! I don't think I posted on that thread but my thoughts and prayers were with you the whole time.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
My drive to work kills my agressive settings, so I have to reset my adaptives every few weeks.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Lol. I was afraid of driving mine for the first couple of weeks... throttle was way too responsive and I kept squealing tires from a stop.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 PM

2004 E55
like mentioned, after a few weeks it will not seem as fast.

Just leave the traction control on and do not put it into dyno mode....unless you're in an area where you have nothing to run in to. These cars get very unpredictable if you turn off "nanny" mode to test your driving skills.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Glad to hear that your situation turned for the better and that you got to keep her!!! I don't think I posted on that thread but my thoughts and prayers were with you the whole time.
Thank you. Much like the original poster here is finding out, this car is WAY too much fun, and I am just glad to have the opportunity to own and enjoy such a fine automobile.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Did you buy it from an Asian guy?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM

E55 AMG
I miss mine its gone to the spa
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 AM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
My car has been stock since it left the factory, just like you guys mentioned it does feel slow at times. When ever I want a rush , I do the sneaky reset and take the TC off find an empty street and go bananas. Brings a smile to my face allll the time.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Just got my 04 E55 last week. I did the ECU reset today and man, did I have some fun after that. I completely forgot about the sneaky reset untill I read this thread. Thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Evolved8
Did you buy it from an Asian guy?
Why do you ask?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
It's "really" fast.....until you start moffing.. Ha
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
It's "really" fast.....until you start modding.. Ha
Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
OP has created such a beautiful thread

Reminds me of this
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-behavior.html
Mandatory reading for AMG owners....
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vraa
OP has created such a beautiful thread

Reminds me of this
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-behavior.html
Mandatory reading for AMG owners....
TY
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
EXACTLY what I was thinkin...
Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Yeah I think I've already adapted to the acceleration. I've gotten to the point where on my way to work I'd wonder why the car wasn't hitting as hard. So the next light I'd pull out aggressively and watch the speedometer and sure enough, it was doing what I would have expected it to be doing.

Same thing happened on my M3. And my old 300Zx, which was why I kept modding that thing. The more mods, the more tickets...but the benz will be different (or so I keep telling myself).

Jake from Eurocharged is going to meet up with me this weekend and lower the car a bit and do a tune, so the daily drive should get smoother, and I'm sure I'll have more power.

I'm sort of worried that this is just the first of many visits to the shop to make "subtle changes" to my car to "improve daily performance", cuz that has always hurt my wallet in the past.

Anyway, even if I've gotten used to the performance, I still walk away backwards from the car after I get home from work with a smile from ear to ear. I know you all know the feeling!

-D
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dlyons22
Yeah I think I've already adapted to the acceleration. I've gotten to the point where on my way to work I'd wonder why the car wasn't hitting as hard. So the next light I'd pull out aggressively and watch the speedometer and sure enough, it was doing what I would have expected it to be doing.

Same thing happened on my M3. And my old 300Zx, which was why I kept modding that thing. The more mods, the more tickets...but the benz will be different (or so I keep telling myself).

Jake from Eurocharged is going to meet up with me this weekend and lower the car a bit and do a tune, so the daily drive should get smoother, and I'm sure I'll have more power.

I'm sort of worried that this is just the first of many visits to the shop to make "subtle changes" to my car to "improve daily performance", cuz that has always hurt my wallet in the past.

Anyway, even if I've gotten used to the performance, I still walk away backwards from the car after I get home from work with a smile from ear to ear. I know you all know the feeling!

-D
whatever you do, DO NOT you tube "e55 exhaust sound" until your done "improving daily performance"; if you're married, it's one thing sneaking on a CF front lip or a pulley and such. . .you'll NEVER be able to justify why your MB all the sudden sounds like a NASCAR

Once again, welcome - I think you'll feel right at home.