Sponsored by:

Kleeman Headers vs. Exotic Metal headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Kleeman Headers vs. Exotic Metal headers

Exotic Metal (Brooke) had a chance to put a micrometer to a set of Kleeman headers taken off my car. The plan was to clean them up and get some more HP out of them. Not to downplay the Kleemans as they are a very popular and reasonably priced header, $1,500.

Our plan, to gain at least 15% more power from the Kleemans.

The Primary tubes are 1 5/8 and that is small for a 500 hp engine but does improve over stock. With the 1 5/8 primaries, you really want them smooth and fee flowing. These have a lot of weld in the openings and in the butt welded areas.. Flow is deceased by at least 15% with these un-needed welds.. See notes below. Second area of concern , is the collector.. This is necked down from 3" to 2 3/4 and then to a tight 2 1/4" ,due to more welding in that area..

Here is a shot of the inside of the primary inlet tube 1 5/8 OD but restricted down to only 1.52" ID

Here is a shot of the primary tube with first weld at neck and second butt weld down further. This blocks flow and creates turbulence.

Picture of collector: This shows the neck down at the end of collector and more weld blocking crucial flow!!!

After Brooke Ported the Primary tubes, you can notice the flow gains. Out of the box is only 39.3MM ID and after weld removed, you can attain 43.3MM!! 21% flow increase!!

Finished Port.

This is just one project that we are working on right now. Others include a high flow fuel rail from BRUCE at TTM, 550CC injectors, and a high stall TC!

The finished headers look great, and as I'm crunched for time, you can check out the thread with end product and photos.

http://www.**************.com/forum/...hlight=headers

Overall, the best bet for headers are the Eurocharged LT's, especially taking into consideration the HUGE discount they are now offering.

https://mbworld.org/forums/group-pur...ml#post4702435
Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Looks nice you will surely pick up some power there.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Looks awesome Hadi.

Brooke, you are always thinking outside of the box. Great job!

Whenever I do Kleemann headers I port match the manifold gaskets and clean up the slag wherever I can get to it!

Did you guys port match to the gaskets too?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Looks awesome Hadi.

Brooke, you are always thinking outside of the box. Great job!

Whenever I do Kleemann headers I port match the manifold gaskets and clean up the slag wherever I can get to it!

Did you guys port match to the gaskets too?
+1 I know you guys have some spare heads lying around to help match up to...
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
The flange on the Kleeman headers (flat plate that mates with head) is larger than the exhaust port by .20 thou. No need to port match.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 06-05-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
The flange on the Kleeman headers (flat plate that mates with head) is larger than the exhaust port by .20 thou. No need to port match.
The gasket opening is larger so if you put the actual gasket to the header flange there is material that will need to be ported to remove the lip in the Kleemann header.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
The gasket opening is larger so if you put the actual gasket to the header flange there is material that will need to be ported to remove the lip in the Kleemann header.
Correct but this adds no gains in flow, as the goal is to MATCH FLOW not gaskets. Flow is matched, with room to spare. Exhaust gaskets are compression style and need some area around them to properly compress and seal. Again , match the flow , not the gasket.

Here are pictures of the kleeman headers, after small 2.25: ID pipes were cut off and 3" OD Bazookas welded on.

Inside of the stock Kleeman collector, just after cutting stock collector off. Also shows 70mm pipe shoved inside collector that had to be removed.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Here are some additional photos that we took this morning. These babies are gonna be crazy! Can't wait! Thanks Brooke for all the help!