Sponsored by:

lasered at 92 mph...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Different county probably (I think you were pulled in LA) but in the OC- I have a pending no plates visable ticket and the officer checked the fixable box; the fee is 25 and proof of correction or 225 and no correction.

Im so lazy im just gonna pay the 225. Its not a moving violation so no points on the record here in Cali.
Yes Vic, was pulled over in LA county. I guess I'll wait for the ticket to come in the mail and see what my options are. I too am lazy and would rather pay a bit more $ not to worry about the hassle.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550, sold 11 E350
I started putting the front plate on when i got ticketed in Westwood while my car was parked. Before that i never used a front plate in Cali thinking they only ticket you if moving. Does not seem worth the hassle, and LA county is notorious for ticketing while parked.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by davidbijan
I started putting the front plate on when i got ticketed in Westwood while my car was parked. Before that i never used a front plate in Cali thinking they only ticket you if moving. Does not seem worth the hassle, and LA county is notorious for ticketing while parked.
True, in LA if you are parked in a public lot or metered lot they will hit you hard. On my M6 I didnt put the front or rear plates on but had the temp reg in my window; the damn parking patrol ran my vin and saw that the DMV had "issued plates" and gave me a 10 dollar ticket (Laguna Beach).
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Dunno if the bay area is different from socal, but last time I checked, 20mph over the posted speed gets a reckless attached to it. This changes the ticket to a 2 point violation. Thats in the DUI range for the cali insurance folks... cost of the ticket is the easy part!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Dunno if the bay area is different from socal, but last time I checked, 20mph over the posted speed gets a reckless attached to it. This changes the ticket to a 2 point violation. Thats in the DUI range for the cali insurance folks... cost of the ticket is the easy part!
Well, bay area or socal, regardless it's CHP, so yes, I too thought that if he would have written me the ticket at 92 i would have got a reckless or excessive speed attached to it
Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Originally Posted by BlackKompressor
Well, bay area or socal, regardless it's CHP, so yes, I too thought that if he would have written me the ticket at 92 i would have got a reckless or excessive speed attached to it

Up in NorCal I just got a 91 in a 65, was $466. No reckless etc, but auto point due to 25+ over limit. My first ticket / point in years so just took my medicine and moved on.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
I'm not reading the entire thread soI don't know if your questions (re the fine amounts) have been answered...

For 92 in 65, the fine for VC 22349(a) would have been $475 + 1 violation point (or add $49take traffic school and avoid the point).

For the front plate (VC 5200), you can install the front plate, get it signed off at a PD or Sheriff's station (for $15) orata CHP station (at no cost) pay the court $25 and submitthe correction certificate by the due date on the citation and it will be dismissed.

However, you can also (leave your bumper alone) and simply choose to pay the fine which would be apprioximately $190. (Zero violation points).
Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Reckless driving (VC 23103) requires other elements in addition to excessive speed...Example, Unsafe lane changes, following too close... etc.

There is also "exhibition of speed" (VC 23109), an officer can write that for screeching tires, racing against another driver... etc.

And for those wondering, no I am not a cop...
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM

2006 SLK 200 R171
I thought in USA you didn't need to have a front plate? Or is that just in certain states? Here we MUST have a front plate and the mounts are always there before you buy a car... All our lasers, speed cameras, average speed cameras and the new anti-terrorist cameras read the front plate... I've fiddled with my letter spacing slightly and got done for that. If they're in a bad mood they can do you for a cracked front plate!! :-/
Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 PM

E63 Bi-Turbo, C63, F430
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I had a similar situation. A cop made a left turn in front of me onto a crossroad and slowed down drastically while pointing at my front bumper. I thought he was pointing at the $5-hoe walking near the intersection but I was wrong. In my rearview I saw him stop and bust a U with lights flashing. I immediately punched it onto a right-hand highway entrance ramp at a very sharp angle from the left lane. A red-light cam flashes due to my rolling turn (you're supposed to stop first). It gets the front and side of my car but not my rear plates, since my right turn was from the far left lane. Officer Loser enters the highway too but becomes a dot on my six then gives up chase probably thinking he could get my info from the red light picture or video. 3 months later I call the DMV and county court to see if I had any red light tickets outstanding since I needed to renew my registration, even explained to them that I was flashed. They reply "No". BIG F-U to that cop and the whole department where it occurred (a Bay area ghetto city) - they are worse than the street thugs and they prefer to go after nice cars because we pay the fines. Catching bad guys yields no money but ticketing good guys who don't want to drill up our fronts will gain the city at least $10 every time.

Redwood****ty?, eerr Redwood City I mean.

The local cops there busted up a bunch of us leaving the beer garden one night for 'racing' on el camino, when they realized they had two Venture capitalists from the biggest VC firms and three CEOs and CTOs from very large local businesses they backed down. I hate cops so much.

I have dealer plates on my car, plan on keeping them on indefinitely and I have an out of state licence.

Side note, bay area people any of you going to Club Auto Sport tonight?
Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
True, in LA if you are parked in a public lot or metered lot they will hit you hard. On my M6 I didnt put the front or rear plates on but had the temp reg in my window; the damn parking patrol ran my vin and saw that the DMV had "issued plates" and gave me a 10 dollar ticket (Laguna Beach).

My buddy showed me a great trick to avoid parking tickets. He got a parking tickets and kept it (here in Oregon it rains ALL the time so the meter maids put the tickets inside zip lock bags and place them under your windshield wiper.) He pulls up to the spot, pulls out the ticket, and slaps it under his windshield wiper. Not sure how it works elsewhere but you cannot be ticketed in the same spot twice so the meter maids see the ticket under the wiper and continue on. He hasn't fed the meter in YEARS....

I bet this would work with a license plate ticket when you are parked downtown as well. Just slap the ticket under your wiper and forget about the lack of a plate
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by skratch77
You guys stop when the blues come on? I was doing 130 and saw the cop turn on his lights and puched it to 160-170 for about 20 seconds and took the first exit.

Me and my cuz were rancing and we both bounced on the cop.

I figured at that speed plus racing is automatic jail and car towed so we were like **** it and punched it.I didnt sleep that night feering they cought me on camera off the exit.

This made me laugh
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by IGB
I'm not reading the entire thread soI don't know if your questions (re the fine amounts) have been answered...

For 92 in 65, the fine for VC 22349(a) would have been $475 + 1 violation point (or add $49take traffic school and avoid the point).

For the front plate (VC 5200), you can install the front plate, get it signed off at a PD or Sheriff's station (for $15) orata CHP station (at no cost) pay the court $25 and submitthe correction certificate by the due date on the citation and it will be dismissed.

However, you can also (leave your bumper alone) and simply choose to pay the fine which would be apprioximately $190. (Zero violation points).
Thanks IGB! Now the question is whether to pay the $190 or pay $25 and somehow rig a license plate holder from the tow hook hole. I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be drilling my front bumper!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 PM

2012 CLS550, sold 11 E350
When I picked up my 212 in Memphis the dealer had already drilled the plate into the bumper. I asked him why as I was upset, and he said he could not let me leave the lot without the front plate. Not sure why though, maybe because I had to finance and the car belongs to MB? Anyways I wish he would have given me the option to find an alternative to drilling holes in my pride and joy. On another note, I dont know what it is about Sundays but I encounter speed traps every Sunday. Glad I have a good radar detector. I waived at the cop today and he gave me a dirty look. LOL
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by BlackKompressor
Thanks IGB! Now the question is whether to pay the $190 or pay $25 and somehow rig a license plate holder from the tow hook hole. I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be drilling my front bumper!
Short answer: I would find a way to get it attached and get it corrected somehow!

Long answer: you should keep in mind that a record of this citation is accessible to law enforcement officer through their MDT for a few years to come...

Now, writing a citation as correctable and giving you the option to make the correction and only pay the $25 versus having to pay the full fine, is strictly at the officer's discretion.

So, if/when you get pulled over again (hopefully never), the officer can see a previous violation, and can also see whether it was corrected or whether you opted to simply pay the fine. If the latter, then s/he can issue another citation and mark it as NON-correctable pursuant to the "persistent neglect" provision of VC 40610(b).

So by not making the correction this time (paying the full fine), you maybe setting yourself up to being forced into paying the full fine AGAIN (with no option to the correction) if/when you ever get an inquisitive officer who wants to cross every "t" and dot every "i"...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by davidbijan
When I picked up my 212 in Memphis the dealer had already drilled the plate into the bumper. I asked him why as I was upset, and he said he could not let me leave the lot without the front plate.
Believe it or not, I know of a few instances where a couple of So Cal dealers, and upon request from a customer to deliver their vehicle without the front plate bracket, have requested that the customer sign a disclaimer stating that they are aware that it is a violation of the vehicle code to drive a vehicle w/o the front plate!

Whether that is to avoid a possible dealer licensing issue with the DMV, or to avoid a customer call saying "I got ticketed but you never told me", I cannot say!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by IGB
Believe it or not, I know of a few instances where a couple of So Cal dealers, and upon request from a customer to deliver their vehicle without the front plate bracket, have requested that the customer sign a disclaimer stating that they are aware that it is a violation of the vehicle code to drive a vehicle w/o the front plate!

Whether that is to avoid a possible dealer licensing issue with the DMV, or to avoid a customer call saying "I got ticketed but you never told me", I cannot say!
My dealer allowed me to take delivery of the Benz as long as I signed some paper stating I wanted the car with no front plate setup. In California its not against the law to not have a front plate as long as the DMV has not issued them.

On all my cars recently: E55, M6, CL65, 997TT, M3, GTR, IS-F, E63- all no front plate setups. I always tell the dealer I wont take delivery if they drill the holes.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
In California its not against the law to not have a front plate as long as the DMV has not issued them.
Hahaaa... Nice play on the wording of the vehicle code section, Vic

VC 5200.
(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
While I will agree that some "vehicles" (trailers, motorcycles... etc.) are only issued one plate, you can rest assured that all of the "vehicles" you listed were issued two plates.

Your dealer obviously only installed one; what they did with the other one, is anyone's guess. But hey, if you've been lucky not to get cited, I hope your luck continues.... "knock on wood"
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by IGB
Hahaaa... Nice play on the wording of the vehicle code section, Vic

VC 5200.
(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
While I will agree that some "vehicles" (trailers, motorcycles... etc.) are only issued one plate, you can rest assured that all of the "vehicles" you listed were issued two plates.

Your dealer obviously only installed one; what they did with the other one, is anyone's guess. But hey, if you've been lucky not to get cited, I hope your luck continues.... "knock on wood"

All my cars were bought new so there were no plates to be installed at the time of delivery. I was just a bit lazy installing them when they actually did show up a month or so later.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by vietjdmboi
use zip ties. then take a pic and present it to the judge.
Lucky if you got away with it. Now they send someone out to take a look at the car. I had the issue and tired that and the judge told me "it has to be bolted on, zip ties dont count" so I went to the Lowes and got a few screws, washers, and bolts and mounted it on the mesh grille.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aghakauve
Lucky if you got away with it. Now they send someone out to take a look at the car. I had the issue and tired that and the judge told me "it has to be bolted on, zip ties dont count" so I went to the Lowes and got a few screws, washers, and bolts and mounted it on the mesh grille.
Id be honored to have a judge actually set foot in the parking lot to check my car here in Cali. I cant even get a judge to hear my trials- always a pro tem as of late...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Id be honored to have a judge actually set foot in the parking lot to check my car here in Cali. I cant even get a judge to hear my trials- always a pro tem as of late...
Judge doesnt come out the bailiff comes out..
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aghakauve
Judge doesnt come out the bailiff comes out..
I read your post fast- all I saw was judge but then I realized he was talking to you inside the court LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by skratch77
You guys stop when the blues come on? I was doing 130 and saw the cop turn on his lights and puched it to 160-170 for about 20 seconds and took the first exit.

Me and my cuz were rancing and we both bounced on the cop.

I figured at that speed plus racing is automatic jail and car towed so we were like **** it and punched it.I didnt sleep that night feering they cought me on camera off the exit.
Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
My kind of guy!!! I wish I had the ***** to do that.
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I had a similar situation. A cop made a left turn in front of me onto a crossroad and slowed down drastically while pointing at my front bumper. I thought he was pointing at the $5-hoe walking near the intersection but I was wrong. In my rearview I saw him stop and bust a U with lights flashing. I immediately punched it onto a right-hand highway entrance ramp at a very sharp angle from the left lane. A red-light cam flashes due to my rolling turn (you're supposed to stop first). It gets the front and side of my car but not my rear plates, since my right turn was from the far left lane. Officer Loser enters the highway too but becomes a dot on my six then gives up chase probably thinking he could get my info from the red light picture or video. 3 months later I call the DMV and county court to see if I had any red light tickets outstanding since I needed to renew my registration, even explained to them that I was flashed. They reply "No". BIG F-U to that cop and the whole department where it occurred (a Bay area ghetto city) - they are worse than the street thugs and they prefer to go after nice cars because we pay the fines. Catching bad guys yields no money but ticketing good guys who don't want to drill up our fronts will gain the city at least $10 every time.
congrats, you're all retarded
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by DAGREEKNYC
FYI ; from what i have been told for laser tickets since i beat one they usually point @ the front plate for a reflection and this is how laser works . i beat my ticket based on the fact that he claimed laser but he wrote radar on ticket .

velcro that plate Temoprarily and then pull it off !!!!!!!!!!!!
The LEOs actually GO for the Front center Mass first (usually the front plate) and then work out from there to headlights and then fogs and then chrome(grills etc) Apparently, they WANT that front plate because its highly reflective. Put the plate ON and then Veil it and your headlights. It severely cuts reflectivity which is a good thing. Works great on any car and is LEGAL!!!

www.laserveil.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: lasered at 92 mph...