Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top HP Numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by e500slr
I guess maybe you should have tried the cooling solution with the unmodified car to see just how much it made a difference. But seriously in your opinion is the whole 5.7 displacement increase necessary? Plus did you ever get to video or dyno it? You were going for 1000hp?!! .....and people give me beef for even speaking of 650whp. I love your initiative and dedication though, separates the enthusiasts from the lazy accountants (no offense accountants). You also said 50k on the project was spent To be honest I think the stock block and and displacement with the mods you did like the crank and the forged pistons and like you said, Ti rods. Beef up the internals to the point where you know you have a bit of safety and work with it. You sent the engine back to Canada a couple of times, I bet that cost some $$ right?
No, the displacement increase is not necessary, but for my build and going for all out power, sleeving the block and increasing the bore is a huge plus. Back then, some of the high HP guys were having issues with broken pistons, so I decided to beef up the bottom end. And since we are increasing the comperssion, boost, and perhaps the RPMs, Ti rods are a plus. No, no videos of it on the dyno. Yeah, I spent a lot a of $ and all to show is broken parts, but I learned from those mistakes and moved forward. Evosport is rebuilding it now and they're excited to be part of it. I'm going for every mod possible: lightweight internals, increased comperssion, and high boost. Still on the path of having the most powerfull 55K!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
No, the displacement increase is not necessary, but for my build and going for all out power, sleeving the block and increasing the bore is a huge plus. Back then, some of the high HP guys were having issues with broken pistons, so I decided to beef up the bottom end. And since we are increasing the comperssion, boost, and perhaps the RPMs, Ti rods are a plus. No, no videos of it on the dyno. Yeah, I spent a lot a of $ and all to show is broken parts, but I learned from those mistakes and moved forward. Evosport is rebuilding it now and they're excited to be part of it. I'm going for every mod possible: lightweight internals, increased comperssion, and high boost. Still on the path of having the most powerfull 55K!

I think this is EPIC because no one here seems to be that bothered by the restrictions, I love that you're trying to work past them instead of simply giving up and moving to another car. Do you have a time frame for this build and maybe a cost? I know you already know but you're kind of a guinea pig in this because you're going to have to overcome problems and find solution for them at the expense of time and money which is the more reason I respect your initiative, just like BenzoBoi's coilovers conversion but on a much more expensive scale. I wish I could do it but the money for R&D isn't there and I don't want my wife to go to prison for stabbing me The point is I just cringe at the figure, 50k, which you mentioned went into it, that's more than the car by alot. I would just love if a cooling solution was figured out because the maximum I would want if I was to embark on this project would be 650whp anyway, which I thought was easily achievable. Right now I'm researching when I can but for me since it's a daily driver I have to work out what parts and how long it would take with how much money, I could build it step by step it would have to happen at once. I would love to see you build though
Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
I'm guessing they like money and more customers which they would get more of if they did find a solution, if not I'm sure someone else will find it and no stacks for them
Top mounted coolers are a one off build and if done right extremely expensive and rightly so because the market for them is extremely small and the time and work that goes into building them is huge. Below are pics of some I had made 3 years ago. They fit E55, CLS55, and SL55 and are for sale if anyone is interested, just PM me.

I decided to create some new top mounted coolers that are a work of art and resemble this intake manifold from the racing 7.3L AMG V12!
I want them to look better and out flow the SLR's

Old 06-23-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
PM sent.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think this is EPIC because no one here seems to be that bothered by the restrictions, I love that you're trying to work past them instead of simply giving up and moving to another car. Do you have a time frame for this build and maybe a cost? I know you already know but you're kind of a guinea pig in this because you're going to have to overcome problems and find solution for them at the expense of time and money which is the more reason I respect your initiative, just like BenzoBoi's coilovers conversion but on a much more expensive scale. I wish I could do it but the money for R&D isn't there and I don't want my wife to go to prison for stabbing me The point is I just cringe at the figure, 50k, which you mentioned went into it, that's more than the car by alot. I would just love if a cooling solution was figured out because the maximum I would want if I was to embark on this project would be 650whp anyway, which I thought was easily achievable. Right now I'm researching when I can but for me since it's a daily driver I have to work out what parts and how long it would take with how much money, I could build it step by step it would have to happen at once. I would love to see you build though
Thanks bro!
No, no time frame. It's done when it's done. And the cost.. it's a lot! Trust me, guys here are tired of hearing about my build since something always happens and it never gets completed. Yes, I'm a huge guinea pig but I'm ok with it cause in the end I'll have one bad special and unique SL55. I'm making good money now and plan on keeping my SL55 forever so to me it's worth it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Thanks bro!
No, no time frame. It's done when it's done. And the cost.. it's a lot! Trust me, guys here are tired of hearing about my build since something always happens and it never gets completed. Yes, I'm a huge guinea pig but I'm ok with it cause in the end I'll have one bad special and unique SL55. I'm making good money now and plan on keeping my SL55 forever so to me it's worth it.
Yes, absolutely, if you can afford to do it why not, the SL is an amazing car so it's not exactly a "waste". I had an idea the other day, I saw a Jay Leno advert about hydrogen cars, now this got me thinking, if cars ran on hydrogen the cooling issue can be mended in a simple way. It has to do with the space shuttle, what the space shuttle does is it cools down the exhausts where the thrust comes out of with the same hydrogen that burns to produce the thrust, it's a simple and genius way. Liquid hydrogen is extremely cold, they run tiny pipes, sort of like a radiator but more complex, the hydrogen is used to cool the exhausts for the thrust then they are burnt to produce the thrust. If our cars ran on hydrogen I would think running the hydrogen through pipes, soft of like a water to air intercooler but you would have to use an anti freeze. What are the implications of air that's too cold, I don't see any, I know water vapor would be an issue but the amount of cooling could be controlled. Anyway this is hypothetical, got me thinking of it because of the space shuttle which fascinated me in the way it cools itself.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 cls 55 amg
Good luck havoc may u achieve your goals with minimal expense. What's next pumpkin chunking? Rear tank not better then top mount?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by meinersk
Good luck havoc may u achieve your goals with minimal expense. What's next pumpkin chunking? Rear tank not better then top mount?
Thanks meinersk!

I have yet to achieve my goals and I'm well passed minimal expense. From those intercoolers not flowing as efficient as needed; to an exhaust valve hitting a piston; to now issues with the sleeves in my block; I'm now forced to start over from scratch. I'm currently going over the entire build to see which direction to take. Looks like I'll keep the new block and bottom end closer to stock with the exception of beefed up pistons and rods. Regardless, I haven't given up just yet!

The top mounts are a better choice since they improve air flow in addition to improved cooling.