Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting The SUpercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by PTE
Hey
Look at the Post #11. Check how close the valve head is to the spark plug exit hole & Thread?? This motor has oversized valves. and the travel angle when it opens . And the spark plug angle !! If someone index's the plug , so the J strap is at the exhaust valve . They will touch and BANG!!! I remember about 4 years age VRP in Cali. Had a spark plug crushing Issue! and even posted some of the damage . Then about 2 years ago the motor had a exhaust valve clearance Issue . from a Valve float at hi rpm . I’m now thinking quite different HUMMM
Cheers _PTEngineering
That spark plug crushing issue happened when they installed 55K spark plugs, which are longer, onto a 55 N/A head and the valves hit the plugs.

On these heads with larger valves, there is enough clearance between the intake valves and the spark plugs when the valves open. The valve float I had was from the stock valve springs. The one damaged valve was an exhaust valve which as you can see has plenty of clearance from the spark plugs.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Look Closer & Check Twice

You have had such Great luck. !! and those failures were not a cause of anything you have done. Just looking over your shoulder Bud.You can see the difference in my Heads with stock intake valve opening. and of coarse my apologies for miss identifying the valves
Cheers _PTEngineering
Attached Thumbnails Porting The SUpercharger-mvc-007s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by PTE
You have had such Great luck. !! and those failures were not a cause of anything you have done. Just looking over your shoulder Bud.You can see the difference in my Heads with stock intake valve opening. and of coarse my apologies for miss identifying the valves
Cheers _PTEngineering
Great luck meaning worse luck in 55K history! No worries, I know the intakes valves are close to the spark plugs, but no intake valves or plugs were damaged. The one issue I had was from an exhaust valve hitting the piston and both cams were destroyed.

Back on topic, hey Pat, have you ever ported a 55K blower?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
What size valves did those old VRP heads have in them? Where they Ferrea?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
What size valves did those old VRP heads have in them? Where they Ferrea?
Yes, they are Ferrea SS valves. I know both intake and the exhaust valves are larger and I'm thinking they were 1mm larger, but I could be wrong as I would have to look it up.