W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPG conversion-can be harmful?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 e 55 amg
Question LPG conversion-can be harmful?

A big Hello to all of you guys! As gasoline prices are getting higher and higher here in Europe, I begun to think to an LPG conversion, at least for city driving. Using the "search" function I found only 2 owners of W210 55 AMGs in UK that are using LPG with no problems-they said.
What do you guys think? The supercharger we have on our W211s would make a difference in a bad way?
Any inputs are welcome,pls chime in!
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
LPG?!! On a E55 You are either a troll or just not very bright.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM

w211 e 55 amg
Originally Posted by e500slr
LPG?!! On a E55 You are either a troll or just not very bright.
I just asked a question, Sir. This doesn"t mean that you have to be rude.
Still waiting for useful oppinions!
The following users liked this post:
Horgand (03-18-2022)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Kaboom!

Doubt anyone in the USA is at a point where gasoline is too expensive to even consider doing this. Why don't you take the plung and let us know how it turns out?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
I have an idea

1. Sell E55

2. Buy E320 BlueTec or buy E320 and convert that to LPG

The whole point of owning a gas guzzler like this is the performance, why do you want to take away the potential of a supercharged V8, which will ruin the performance and leave the V8 as a dead weight. Get a 6 cyl and LPG that, yes it's not going to be fast but tuning LPG to be fast is difficult and won't yield the potential high octane gas can. I said you're a troll because it's like me going on a Lambo forum and asking how to convert it to solar or electric, that's not the point of the car.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
+1 I have to agree
Old 06-24-2011, 01:53 AM

E55 AMG
10 post must be a troll
Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Give the guy a break. He's from Romania. Fuel prices are really high and there are a lot of DIYers trying all sorts of things now. Go to Sweden or Finland and check out some of the stuff they're doing with performance cars. It's pretty interesting.

The only problem is that he just asked on the wrong forum.

To the OP: maybe go on one of those forums from Australia like Fullboost http://www.fullboost.com.au/forum/index.php

There's stuff like this:
"I just recently had my Holden V8 motor rebuilt for use on straight LPG use. The system I will be using is a Impco 425 mixer. The motor has all the usual goodies and has a Gas research Voodoo camshaft and 10:1 comp. Anyone else use LPG for a performance application and how did you go? And what system are you running. Also anyone have any info on who has the cleanest and highest octane LPG going around. Who said LPG is only good for BBQ`s."
Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Problem is the substantially lower MPG with E85 will offset much of the savings in pump cost. My Chrysler 200 get around 23mpg on gasoline and a sluggish 15mpg on E85. Just not worth it.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:38 AM

w211 e 55 amg
Originally Posted by 220S
Give the guy a break. He's from Romania. Fuel prices are really high and there are a lot of DIYers trying all sorts of things now. Go to Sweden or Finland and check out some of the stuff they're doing with performance cars. It's pretty interesting.

The only problem is that he just asked on the wrong forum.

To the OP: maybe go on one of those forums from Australia like Fullboost http://www.fullboost.com.au/forum/index.php

There's stuff like this:
"I just recently had my Holden V8 motor rebuilt for use on straight LPG use. The system I will be using is a Impco 425 mixer. The motor has all the usual goodies and has a Gas research Voodoo camshaft and 10:1 comp. Anyone else use LPG for a performance application and how did you go? And what system are you running. Also anyone have any info on who has the cleanest and highest octane LPG going around. Who said LPG is only good for BBQ`s."
Thank you very much for your understanding and advice Sir !
Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pearlpower
Problem is the substantially lower MPG with E85 will offset much of the savings in pump cost. My Chrysler 200 get around 23mpg on gasoline and a sluggish 15mpg on E85. Just not worth it.
What does E85 have to do with LPG, and MPG?

I don't think people quite understand what the OP is asking. LPG (called autogas in Europe) has a high octane rating of 108 RON. The energy density is lower (then gasoline) so there is no real savings in MPG (fuel consumption is actually higher than gasoline, diesel, and E85 fuel.) The OP is concerned about costs since there's much less tax on LPG in Europe, so LPG comes out as cheaper. Plus in Romania, gasoline quality is bad and inconsistent.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Yes but the car the OP is doing it to is counter productive. It's like making a Ford GT a hybrid, that's not the car's purpose, you can get a Golf Diesel and save so much money on gas. You can get a small car or a Camry or whatever, even a E320 or BlueTec. Point is that if you're after economy, the E55 is the last car you should think about, it's heavy and has a supercharged V8 for God's sake, those two things together make a GAS GUZZLER. LPG can't provide the performance high octane fuel can, so what's left? LPG also has to have a pressurized tank, in the trunk which takes pretty much all the space. It's not the safest in a car accident, since it's pressurized the LPG if punctured will escape, if there's a spark, say your prays and prepare for a big explosion.

The point is, get a more fuel efficient car if you can't afford petrol, it's the smart thing to do. Doesn't mean you have to sacrifice luxury, the E320 is just as luxurious on the inside as the E55 and if you want the performance, LPG is going to take it away anyway.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. He got attacked pretty quickly. LPG may not be the best choice but no real reason to jump on him like he was a complete idiot, imho. They just had gas prices raised by 30% and that's before taxes. It's the highest in all of the EU. Last January taxi drivers were boycotting gas stations. And in Romania it's not always the best quality. He's just exploring options (and there's no high tax on LPG.)

It's not all about efficiency otherwise he'd certainly be driving something else. And in places like Sweden and Finland (where some really hard core car enthusiasts tend to be) they're modding performance cars to run off alternatives to petrol including LPG.

RUF (one of the most famous Porsche tuners) has built an electric 997 with 480 ft lbs of torque. And Porsche itself has built their amazingly quick Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid. Even AMG is building the SLS E-Cell. I guess the point being is that performance and alternative energy are no longer the polar opposites like they used to be just a few years ago.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
In that case I don't think there's anything "harmful" from the conversion but it has to be tuned, it's not a bolt on affair. Plus trunk space is gone.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 AM

2004 E55
nothing to say but...
Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 AM

'95 Z28 - 687 RWHP, '08 E63 P30, '10 X5 M
Wow, so many people without a clue in this thread, tons of fail...

The OP isn't wanting to do this mod for economy, he's doing it to save money on fuel! Plus, the octane of LPG is generally a lot higher than gasoline, so he could potentially increase performance from this mod by being able to run more boost without detonation. Why anyone thinks LPG is E85, or tat it's going to slow the car down is strange.

Yes but the car the OP is doing it to is counter productive. It's like making a Ford GT a hybrid, that's not the car's purpose, you can get a Golf Diesel and save so much money on gas. You can get a small car or a Camry or whatever, even a E320 or BlueTec. Point is that if you're after economy, the E55 is the last car you should think about, it's heavy and has a supercharged V8 for God's sake, those two things together make a GAS GUZZLER. LPG can't provide the performance high octane fuel can, so what's left? LPG also has to have a pressurized tank, in the trunk which takes pretty much all the space. It's not the safest in a car accident, since it's pressurized the LPG if punctured will escape, if there's a spark, say your prays and prepare for a big explosion.

The point is, get a more fuel efficient car if you can't afford petrol, it's the smart thing to do. Doesn't mean you have to sacrifice luxury, the E320 is just as luxurious on the inside as the E55 and if you want the performance, LPG is going to take it away anyway.

To the OP, my advice is to find a shop willing to take on the job first, and then go from there. Once you get the swap done, then consider upping the boost/other mods and get a dyno tune to go along with it. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 AM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
What most don't understand is you can get the same or better power from fuels like LPG or E85, if the engine is set up and dedicated to it. The dual fuel setups, where you have to still switch to petrol, are not as efficient on the secondary fuel.

Why people have to crap on this idea is beyond me. You have no idea of the situation. I think it would be neat to see it done...heck, a natural gas conversion would be cool too. Especially if you could pull out more HP.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by wsybert
What most don't understand is you can get the same or better power from fuels like LPG or E85, if the engine is set up and dedicated to it. The dual fuel setups, where you have to still switch to petrol, are not as efficient on the secondary fuel.

Why people have to crap on this idea is beyond me. You have no idea of the situation. I think it would be neat to see it done...heck, a natural gas conversion would be cool too. Especially if you could pull out more HP.
its not what he wants to do...its the car he wants to do it too. If gas prices are so much of a concern, go buy a cheap economical "slush box" and drive it around with the money he would take to do the conversion. FYI, I had a company car that was converted to LPG...what a headache...it drove like a$$, had to fill up twice as much as the same gasoline car, it was slower, had a weird whistling sound, and a huge tank in the trunk...complete and utter garbage.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Originally Posted by alltrac
its not what he wants to do...its the car he wants to do it too. If gas prices are so much of a concern, go buy a cheap economical "slush box" and drive it around with the money he would take to do the conversion. FYI, I had a company car that was converted to LPG...what a headache...it drove like a$$, had to fill up twice as much as the same gasoline car, it was slower, had a weird whistling sound, and a huge tank in the trunk...complete and utter garbage.
So, if gas here were $8 a gallon, and you had a way to keep most of, if not all the performance of your car, and do it for $4 per gallon, you wouldn't consider it? Maybe he doesn't want a "slush box"', maybe , like you and I, he wants a performance oriented car, but would like to make it more economical to run. What's wrong with that?
Also, LPG and CNG systems have improved in recent years. I know someone that recently drove a CNG powered H3 Alpha SUT Hummer from California to New York. His fuel cost was a little over $500. Site and blog is here. Gonatgas.com
Old 06-25-2011, 12:08 PM

w211 e 55 amg
Thank you all for your kind replies, especially to 220S who seems to know a lot about how things are going here.

To make things clear:
In Romania there are some shops that are doing this sort of "LPG conversion", and they claim that with the new type LPG installations produced in Italy and Holland you won't have a loss of power greater than 5%. I don't buy that, of course they have to sell.
But I would preffer to use LPG in the city(where our MPGs are frustrating), drive a little slower(you're not supposed to do all day long races in town) and run my car as I like using gasoline outside.
The $$$ savings comes from the fact that although fuel consumption is about 6-7% bigger on LPG, the price is half of the gasoline.
And now my main concern:
Because as all of you I love my "baby beast", I'm afraid of possible complications that could occur, such as a blown engine, knock on wood.
Of course if you ask the guys from the shop about this they will say "you won't have any problems", but again, they have to sell.
This was my question, but as 220S said I asked on the wrong place considering gasoline is a lot cheaper in the States.
Thank you all again !
Old 06-25-2011, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Yes, those complications are unavoidable, plus you have to have 2 mode tunes, you can't just switch between fuels and expect the car to run the same tune.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 AM

E270 cdi year 2000
LPG

I own sl500 and it is working perfectly with LPG. It is ICOM JTG equipment..I bought it like this and driveing it now for almost one year I must say that I recomend it to everybody...Engine runs more quietly and the price of LPG is half...Engine first starts on benzine and after 55 seconds automaticaly turns on LiquidPetrolGas...

best regards
Tomaz
The following users liked this post:
Horgand (03-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
I own sl500 and it is working perfectly with LPG. It is ICOM JTG equipment..I bought it like this and driveing it now for almost one year I must say that I recomend it to everybody...Engine runs more quietly and the price of LPG is half...Engine first starts on benzine and after 55 seconds automaticaly turns on LiquidPetrolGas...

best regards
Tomaz
How much power did you feel you lost?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 AM

2003 E55 estate
In the uk there is currently a e55 wagon converted to run on LPG for sale on eBay . In the uk petrol is £1.35 a ltr , I can buy LPG for 48p a ltr . I have in the past had my w124 e320 estate converted to rum on LPG with amazing results , and can see no reason why you would not convert a e55 to run on LPG 。
Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 AM

2003 E55 estate
The LPG converted e55 wagon is still for sale on eBay , I would email the seller and have a chat !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LPG conversion-can be harmful?