W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEEDRIVEN | E55 Twin-turbo PKG (feeler)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' E55
Turbos are cool and all and are a nice novelty, but why has no one fitted a more efficient/larger s/c like a liquid cooled 2.8 or 3.6 kenne bell. Either of those are more than capable of making as much power as you would want or could make on pump gas. What is sopping this from happening? Seems like a 5-7000 kit like that would be a huge seller. And you could continue to use headers and lower pulleys that many already have purchased.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by 03e55
Turbos are cool and all and are a nice novelty, but why has no one fitted a more efficient/larger s/c like a liquid cooled 2.8 or 3.6 kenne bell. Either of those are more than capable of making as much power as you would want or could make on pump gas. What is sopping this from happening? Seems like a 5-7000 kit like that would be a huge seller. And you could continue to use headers and lower pulleys that many already have purchased.
+1...been begging that question for years!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
Originally Posted by 03e55
Kenne Bell will never make a kit for our car. Unless we get enough people.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just emailed Kenne Bell about our interest in a blower for our cars. Hopefully they say yes!!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just emailed kenne bell and they do not plan to go into the Mercedes market as of now. Twin Turbo it is!!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The plumbing issue with turbos, and the lack of dealer support, you're pretty much bringing in a whole new FI system, this sounds custom and custom sounds like trouble with these cars. The amount of sensors in this thing is crazy and there is definitely going to be a few blown engines. People do this to LS2 because they're cheap as chips, the M113 is not a cheap engine, think about that guys, I hate to be a buzz killer but it's reality
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by e500slr
The plumbing issue with turbos, and the lack of dealer support, you're pretty much bringing in a whole new FI system, this sounds custom and custom sounds like trouble with these cars. The amount of sensors in this thing is crazy and there is definitely going to be a few blown engines. People do this to LS2 because they're cheap as chips, the M113 is not a cheap engine, think about that guys, I hate to be a buzz killer but it's reality
arent you the one that was talking about adding space shuttle hydrogen cooling technology to the SL55 and E55?? and you are worried about a few sensors that any proper tune would run within sensor paramaters

Yes, absolutely, if you can afford to do it why not, the SL is an amazing car so it's not exactly a "waste". I had an idea the other day, I saw a Jay Leno advert about hydrogen cars, now this got me thinking, if cars ran on hydrogen the cooling issue can be mended in a simple way. It has to do with the space shuttle, what the space shuttle does is it cools down the exhausts where the thrust comes out of with the same hydrogen that burns to produce the thrust, it's a simple and genius way. Liquid hydrogen is extremely cold, they run tiny pipes, sort of like a radiator but more complex, the hydrogen is used to cool the exhausts for the thrust then they are burnt to produce the thrust. If our cars ran on hydrogen I would think running the hydrogen through pipes, soft of like a water to air intercooler but you would have to use an anti freeze. What are the implications of air that's too cold, I don't see any, I know water vapor would be an issue but the amount of cooling could be controlled. Anyway this is hypothetical, got me thinking of it because of the space shuttle which fascinated me in the way it cools itself.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Well guys we have ordered a turbo to take some measurments and do some test fitting. Deffinetly leaning towards the idea of eliminating the oem blower out of the picture. For those of you who are gonna whine about lag, you need to do some reading about some of the new turbos that are hitting the market. The turbos you buy on ebay for $600, yeah you'll have some lag issues. If you buy a real turbo, you will get what you pay for.

Turbo on order is a gt3076r, which we can have in a 3582 also that will have same external dimentions. Once we see what options we have than we will see if air to air or air to water cooling will be the best choice. The idea of a single gt40r is also being considered. BTW the whole rear mount think is absolutely out of the question. Turbo(s) will be by the motor.

As stated by Jo in the first post though. We are looking into it, but there is a whole lot of time that need to be devoted on the software side. I currently am tied up with finalizing the v12 turbo kit. Which means can't start on software end for months to come. I have not really seen any actual interest from any other tuner to come on board here. And just so you guys that are willing to be the test big. Hardware will take a couple weeks, software might take weeks, months, etc. Not trying to scare anyone here just thats the reality. Software has been the issue with these cars from day one and still is quite the bi#*h.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dsmed
Well guys we have ordered a turbo to take some measurments and do some test fitting. Deffinetly leaning towards the idea of eliminating the oem blower out of the picture. For those of you who are gonna whine about lag, you need to do some reading about some of the new turbos that are hitting the market. The turbos you buy on ebay for $600, yeah you'll have some lag issues. If you buy a real turbo, you will get what you pay for.

Turbo on order is a gt3076r, which we can have in a 3582 also that will have same external dimentions. Once we see what options we have than we will see if air to air or air to water cooling will be the best choice. The idea of a single gt40r is also being considered. BTW the whole rear mount think is absolutely out of the question. Turbo(s) will be by the motor.

As stated by Jo in the first post though. We are looking into it, but there is a whole lot of time that need to be devoted on the software side. I currently am tied up with finalizing the v12 turbo kit. Which means can't start on software end for months to come. I have not really seen any actual interest from any other tuner to come on board here. And just so you guys that are willing to be the test big. Hardware will take a couple weeks, software might take weeks, months, etc. Not trying to scare anyone here just thats the reality. Software has been the issue with these cars from day one and still is quite the bi#*h.
While GT3076R's are excellent turbo's for big power, won't the cots kinda skyrocket using them? Also, a single turbo in the valley of the engine block ( where the charger is ) wouldn't be such a bad idea. I saw an SRT6 like this and it was pretty sick. I just don't know if something like a GT4094R would fit.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am down for the wait. I need to start saving up!! Do you think the GT40 Single would be the most cost effective way? I would go twin gt30's though. So glad you guys are doing this for us!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Turbo systems aren't complicated, and the 55K engine has less sensors then most engines I've worked with...it doesn't even have a maf sensor...lol. The biggest issue, which you pointed out, is the cost of the engine if it were to pop....but you can simply not pop it.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wonder how many pounds of boost we will be able to run with the turbo setup? I know we are pushing around 15 right now.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Johncy2000
I wonder how many pounds of boost we will be able to run with the turbo setup? I know we are pushing around 15 right now.
Even at the same 15psi, it'll still make LOTS more power. But you can push 30psi if you want...and blow the engine too.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Interesting you are talking about "new" turbos and then reference an old technology turbo (GT3076r or GT35r). New technology would be the GTX 3076r, and FYI, the 30r and the 35r DO NOT have the same external dimensions. The 35r runs a .70 a/r compressor housing which is a good amount bigger than the .60 a/r housing of the 30r. You can run a custom 30r .60 housing on the 35r, you just will cut down on the flow of the turbo, but that still doesn't fix that the 35r has a larger turbine housing as well and the way it is designed also puts the turbo farther out off center of the T3 flange.

If you want to talk about new turbo tech, then talk Borg Warner EFR series, they cost more but at the same time it evens out since the diverter valve is built in to the turbo so no need for separate diverter/blow off valves. They also have internal wastegates so no need for 2 separate wastegates making the price almost identical to buying a regular turbo and then having to get the separate items.

I would look at the EFR 7670 for a good sized newest tech out there turbo and will make things easier for plumbing the charge pipes and downpipes with the internal diverter valve and wastegate.

Last edited by urbamworm; 06-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would go 18psi just for kicks.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Well turbo motors make more power pound for pound than a blower motor. So if you were to run 15psi on a turbo setup you will make more power from the start.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well turbo motors make more power pound for pound than a blower motor. So if you were to run 15psi on a turbo setup you will make more power from the start.
Thats sounds safe enough for me! So will you guys develop an intake manifold that removes the blower or will the blower stay on and have a smaller belt to deactivate the supercharger?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Interesting you are talking about "new" turbos and then reference an old technology turbo (GT3076r or GT35r). New technology would be the GTX 3076r, and FYI, the 30r and the 35r DO NOT have the same external dimensions. The 35r runs a .70 a/r compressor housing which is a good amount bigger than the .60 a/r housing of the 30r. You can run a custom 30r .60 housing on the 35r, you just will cut down on the flow of the turbo, but that still doesn't fix that the 35r has a larger turbine housing as well and the way it is designed also puts the turbo farther out off center of the T3 flange.

If you want to talk about new turbo tech, then talk Borg Warner EFR series, they cost more but at the same time it evens out since the diverter valve is built in to the turbo so no need for separate diverter/blow off valves. They also have internal wastegates so no need for 2 separate wastegates making the price almost identical to buying a regular turbo and then having to get the separate items.

I would look at the EFR 7670 for a good sized newest tech out there turbo and will make things easier for plumbing the charge pipes and downpipes with the internal diverter valve and wastegate.

Well aware of the borg warner stuff. have lots of literature and specs from them. Currently I am playing with some new stuff from tial that has not been released yet. Got a couple test pigs from them actually.

Btw. A gt35 with a B cover will be for all intensive purposes the same size as a 3076. We can have some custom stuff taylored with a little machining.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Thats sounds safe enough for me! So will you guys develop an intake manifold that removes the blower or will the blower stay on and have a smaller belt to deactivate the supercharger?
Looking to get rid of the blower completely.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a GT3076 .82A/R on my evo and it was FUN!!. I can't imagine two of them!! P.S. I hope its not externally wastegated. I want a clean turbo sound.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well aware of the borg warner stuff. have lots of literature and specs from them. Currently I am playing with some new stuff from tial that has not been released yet. Got a couple test pigs from them actually.

Btw. A gt35 with a B cover will be for all intensive purposes the same size as a 3076. We can have some custom stuff taylored with a little machining.
What kind of power are you looking to make with this endeavor? A 600whp car or something much more? Since you mentioned Tial the turbos that Johnny Bravo helped get together for the GTR and B5 S4 known as the "770" kit are nice. They are Garrett billet wheel GT2868 turbos, you may want something slightly bigger though.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a GT3076 .82A/R on my evo and it was FUN!!. I can't imagine two of them!! P.S. I hope its not externally wastegated. I want a clean turbo sound.
External wastegate sounds like ****, I don't know how some people like it. I had an external gate on my Audi for about a week and then got it rerouted in to the downpipe.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG

Actually, the T3 housing, be it on a GT30 or a GT35, is identical. What changes is the size of the bore where the wheel is ( assuming both have the same A/R and are of the same type, being 5-bolt, 4bolt, or V-band ).

As for the compressor cover, same thing applies except that the GT30 is NORMALLY available with the .60 T04E housing and the GT35 is NORMALLY available with the .70 T04S housing yet both can be bought with the same T04E housings.

ALSOOOOO....I'd personally veer away from the latest and greatest technologies as they add to cost considerably and we really don't need it due to the fact that we have displacement of our side. For a 1.8T though, I'd get the best turbo man has ever invented.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
What kind of power are you looking to make with this endeavor? A 600whp car or something much more? Since you mentioned Tial the turbos that Johnny Bravo helped get together for the GTR and B5 S4 known as the "770" kit are nice. They are Garrett billet wheel GT2868 turbos, you may want something slightly bigger though.
Got some billet 3076 internally gated stuff. turbine housing can be water cooled too if needed.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Just because the wastegate is external doesn't mean it's vented to atmosphere. You can have an external gate vented into the downpipes and it'll sound just as sweet as with an internal gate, make more power, and have better control....it just adds MORE cost...lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SPEEDRIVEN | E55 Twin-turbo PKG (feeler)