East Coast Mile...and a HALF???!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Zax63
I don't think they'll let you go as fast as you want, JR - have you reached out to them? Last time I checked, they were trying to figure out how fast to let our cars go...
He has a roll cage though if im not mistaken so??
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by AKnight55
He has a roll cage though if im not mistaken so??
ahh... I forgot how tweaked his car was!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 AM

2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
all right... after much ambivilence, I am going to drive 6 hours to this thing. I don't have a nomex suit, I am trying to get wrist restraints installed today, I drained my coolant and put in water, no halon fire supression system, no rollcage, and no 5 point safety harness. But I figure I can get to 175 in the mile, and then slow down through the traps to whatever speed they want me at, and it'll still be kinda fun. I'll let you boys know how it went.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

all right... after much ambivilence, I am going to drive 6 hours to this thing. I don't have a nomex suit, I am trying to get wrist restraints installed today, I drained my coolant and put in water, no halon fire supression system, no rollcage, and no 5 point safety harness. But I figure I can get to 175 in the mile, and then slow down through the traps to whatever speed they want me at, and it'll still be kinda fun. I'll let you boys know how it went.
I just looked at where its being held, wow that's going to be quite the drive.. Have fun and take some pics and let us know how it went.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
I've been in conact with these people and they were like yah we can clear you to 155. I was like yeah no thanks. THey want a parachute for 175 plus .... lol
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Hey good luck to those that make the trip...I had some interest, but its an 8 hr drive and my wife's 35th birthday this weekend. As fun as it may be, it will not balance the the aggrivation when I return. Hopefully *** time goes on, these events become more common and frequent in areas closer to home. Zax63 I'm sure the cooler weather will be on your side. Once you get up to your allowed speed you may have to set the cruise for the last 3/4's of a mile...lol
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
it takes around 500 WHP to make 170 w a ton of cooling at the mile. 175 is a good goal, but it needs a ton of mods

Originally Posted by prodigymb
I've been in conact with these people and they were like yah we can clear you to 155. I was like yeah no thanks. THey want a parachute for 175 plus .... lol
LOLOLOL Tx mile its 190 for a cage and 200 and something for a chute. Our cars even mildly modded should hit 155 in the mile yet along mile and a half....
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Yeah, it was far. 5 hours from Portsmouth. And yeah, there were plenty of rules. But Texas is a sh@tload farther away, and this only cost 150 bucks. And it was a legal place to drive over 150.

So there were rules, but it was fun. I drove up Friday, arrived at 3. At first they were telling me I could go 135 without a cage. I had drained the coolant and was running water, as per the rules, and I had installed wrist restraints. (the dealer laughed at that one, saying "I bet this is the only S65 in the country with a set of these!) As a last ditch effort, I handed the tech inspector and the event director my keys and said "you drive it down the runway, and whatever you tell me to run, I'll run. Did I mention it was raining, and windy as hell? They ran it down the track, hit 150 or so, and came back up. They said "you can do 165". The tech (guy giving the most pushback) shook my hand and said "that's quite a machine." I took three runs Sat. first two were "Rookie Runs", you have to run 125, then run 150. I set the cruise control at both speeds. It was still windy, but the car felt fine. Last run, I was supposed to run 165, and my quick glance down looked like 170 or so, so I thought I was good. I got there just around the 1 mile mark, and backed off and held the speed steady. I crossed the traps at speedometer reading 172 or so, was actually 179. They were not particularly happy with me. I was not kicked off the track, but it was appearing to head in that direction. The pit guy approached my car and held up his hand in a stopping gesture. he had my timeslip folded and did not offer it to me(the first two runs, not folded), and I apologized for exceeding the speed limit they set and told them I was taking myself off the track.

In actuality, I did have to leave, so it all worked out. The guys up there were good guys, the event Director Tim and the chief tech Steve. There were more motorcycles than cars, and there was one guy who was intimately aware of the E v12 65 project from LI, running a 200+mph Honda with a chute. Hayabusas are also frickin' insane, there was one with a procharger on it, one with a 175hp nitrous shot, and many that could easily break 210.

I could see how it can be addictive, but if I put a cage in my S65, and pull out all the seats and replace them with 4 Sparcos, my wife will have my *****.

By the way, ran into a 2012 GTR on the highway back. we did two hammer downs, one with me hitting first, one with him hitting first. they were from 75-120 or so. He appeared surprised/upset that he could not pull me/catch me - that was potentially the best part. From a dig he would have slaughtered me, but on the highway a stage one 65 is in it's element. Oh, and that part happened in Canada.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by loungn14
it takes around 500 WHP to make 170 w a ton of cooling at the mile. 175 is a good goal, but it needs a ton of mods

LOLOLOL Tx mile its 190 for a cage and 200 and something for a chute. Our cars even mildly modded should hit 155 in the mile yet along mile and a half....
At 672 hp, how much WHP you calculating? I'm at 570 using 15% loss. And does the 840 ft/lbs of torque help anywhere along the way? I run a 11.6 quarter at 123 with a terrible (1.79) launch. I did not think that 170 was out of the question, and it happened fairly early. From where I backed out, I am fairly certain I would have hit limiter-187, had I kept my foot in it. I was out of the Throttle the last 10 sec of the run. As for cooling, I have a brand new stock IC pump, was considering an upgraded HE, but as I cannot run these events without a cage and will not put in a cage, I'm not sure I need to. If I knock .1 sec's off my quarter, which i should be able to do with better 60 ft, I won't be able to run there without a cage either. Keep in mind that it was in the 50's. I am assuming that the car would need more cooling for a hot event like that one? What was the temp in Texas?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, it was far. 5 hours from Portsmouth. And yeah, there were plenty of rules. But Texas is a sh@tload farther away, and this only cost 150 bucks. And it was a legal place to drive over 150.

So there were rules, but it was fun. I drove up Friday, arrived at 3. At first they were telling me I could go 135 without a cage. I had drained the coolant and was running water, as per the rules, and I had installed wrist restraints. (the dealer laughed at that one, saying "I bet this is the only S65 in the country with a set of these!) As a last ditch effort, I handed the tech inspector and the event director my keys and said "you drive it down the runway, and whatever you tell me to run, I'll run. Did I mention it was raining, and windy as hell? They ran it down the track, hit 150 or so, and came back up. They said "you can do 165". The tech (guy giving the most pushback) shook my hand and said "that's quite a machine." I took three runs Sat. first two were "Rookie Runs", you have to run 125, then run 150. I set the cruise control at both speeds. It was still windy, but the car felt fine. Last run, I was supposed to run 165, and my quick glance down looked like 170 or so, so I thought I was good. I got there just around the 1 mile mark, and backed off and held the speed steady. I crossed the traps at speedometer reading 172 or so, was actually 179. They were not particularly happy with me. I was not kicked off the track, but it was appearing to head in that direction. The pit guy approached my car and held up his hand in a stopping gesture. he had my timeslip folded and did not offer it to me(the first two runs, not folded), and I apologized for exceeding the speed limit they set and told them I was taking myself off the track.

In actuality, I did have to leave, so it all worked out. The guys up there were good guys, the event Director Tim and the chief tech Steve. There were more motorcycles than cars, and there was one guy who was intimately aware of the E v12 65 project from LI, running a 200+mph Honda with a chute. Hayabusas are also frickin' insane, there was one with a procharger on it, one with a 175hp nitrous shot, and many that could easily break 210.

I could see how it can be addictive, but if I put a cage in my S65, and pull out all the seats and replace them with 4 Sparcos, my wife will have my *****.

By the way, ran into a 2012 GTR on the highway back. we did two hammer downs, one with me hitting first, one with him hitting first. they were from 75-120 or so. He appeared surprised/upset that he could not pull me/catch me - that was potentially the best part. From a dig he would have slaughtered me, but on the highway a stage one 65 is in it's element. Oh, and that part happened in Canada.

Good read, sounds like a good time.. I might have to check it out if it happens next year..
Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AKnight55
Good read, sounds like a good time.. I might have to check it out if it happens next year..
Thanks bud! it's a different kind of thrill, but I think I still like drag racing better. You get to race someone, and it's not a billion miles away. Plus you don't need to drain your coolant or install a rollcage, and I hope I didn't ruin it for benzes in the future by going too fast...
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
At 672 hp, how much WHP you calculating? I'm at 570 using 15% loss. And does the 840 ft/lbs of torque help anywhere along the way? I run a 11.6 quarter at 123 with a terrible (1.79) launch. I did not think that 170 was out of the question, and it happened fairly early. From where I backed out, I am fairly certain I would have hit limiter-187, had I kept my foot in it. I was out of the Throttle the last 10 sec of the run. As for cooling, I have a brand new stock IC pump, was considering an upgraded HE, but as I cannot run these events without a cage and will not put in a cage, I'm not sure I need to. If I knock .1 sec's off my quarter, which i should be able to do with better 60 ft, I won't be able to run there without a cage either. Keep in mind that it was in the 50's. I am assuming that the car would need more cooling for a hot event like that one? What was the temp in Texas?
one thing you need to also put into the equation is the drag co as well as the wind! Like you said, that wind can do crazy things with the car. It takes massive HP to push past the 150mph "wall" and keep going. TQ doesnt really matter as this is almost a pure HP event. Your temps really helped. Last time we ran the mile it was closed to 102 degrees out. We are running again next month.

here is a list of the archived times...

some modded sl600's were hitting 178 etc, modded sl65s hitting 180s

http://texasmile.net/records.php

addicting it surely is. I love the mile more then the 1/4 by far.