W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**** Beverly Hills Red Light Cameras

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
Just a suggestion, but this is a fallacious argument in a court of law. The analogy is fighting a speeding ticket on the premise that you felt driving on an empty freeway at 100 mph was appropriate since the freeway was devoid of traffic. If the freeway has an established speed limit of 65, then that is the speed limit. There are no exceptions based on what you thought was appropriate at the time. The court cannot make an exception based on the circumstances you mentioned above.

Your best option to file a trial by declaration and sit it out until the LA Superior Courts decide to not follow through with any red light camera tickets in any jurisdiction, despite being in BH or elsewhere. The LA Weekly article mentions they are contacting cities outside of LA to find out their position on the issue. So just sit tight (extended by the trial by declaration.) The odds are in your favor.

Thanks for the info but if I remember correctly, when you file a trial by declaration you are required to send in the bail amount so considering the city of beverly hills said it plans on increasing the number of red light cameras I don't see how that would be a smart choice. LA county found that the tickets were unenforceable and voluntary but once you paid they were not required to refund.

The only way of fighting it I can think of that involves actually going to court would be trying to argue the fact that the third party company that controls the red light cameras has no jurisdiction and thus cannot issue tickets or something like that.

I'll probably have to end up paying the ticket and going to traffic school for 8hrs to keep that point off but I don't like when the law is used purely for the purpose of generating revenue.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Thanks for the info but if I remember correctly, when you file a trial by declaration you are required to send in the bail amount so considering the city of beverly hills said it plans on increasing the number of red light cameras I don't see how that would be a smart choice. LA county found that the tickets were unenforceable and voluntary but once you paid they were not required to refund.

The only way of fighting it I can think of that involves actually going to court would be trying to argue the fact that the third party company that controls the red light cameras has no jurisdiction and thus cannot issue tickets or something like that.

I'll probably have to end up paying the ticket and going to traffic school for 8hrs to keep that point off but I don't like when the law is used purely for the purpose of generating revenue.
fwiw, the state legislature made a change in the traffic school laws and ticketing system that went into effect on July 1st of this year. Although you will get the points off and your insurance company won't see it (providing you don't get another ticket within 18 months), the infraction still stays on your record. It used to be it was actually dismissed and off your record (with the 18 month period), but not anymore. Instead it'll be "hidden." But the courts can still see the ticket. They said it was because some people were getting more than one ticket dismissed within the 18 months and it was a loophole. They wanted to regulate traffic schools (which are privately run) because some were breaking the rules.

"Beginning July 1, 2011, the courts will no longer “dismiss” in fractions after a driver attends Traffic Violator School (TVS). Instead, new state law (AB 2499) now requires that all offenses be recorded as “convictions,” which will create a detailed breakdown of a person’s driving history. In addition, the new law will bring court approved courses in traffic safety into the DMV Traffic Violator School licensing program and implement a number of recommendations included in a DMV study of traffic violator school issues over the next three years."
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, the state legislature made a change in the traffic school laws and ticketing system that went into effect on July 1st of this year. Although you will get the points off and your insurance company won't see it (providing you don't get another ticket within 18 months), the infraction still stays on your record. It used to be it was actually dismissed and off your record (with the 18 month period), but not anymore. Instead it'll be "hidden." But the courts can still see the ticket. They said it was because some people were getting more than one ticket dismissed within the 18 months and it was a loophole. They wanted to regulate traffic schools (which are privately run) because some were breaking the rules.

"Beginning July 1, 2011, the courts will no longer “dismiss” in fractions after a driver attends Traffic Violator School (TVS). Instead, new state law (AB 2499) now requires that all offenses be recorded as “convictions,” which will create a detailed breakdown of a person’s driving history. In addition, the new law will bring court approved courses in traffic safety into the DMV Traffic Violator School licensing program and implement a number of recommendations included in a DMV study of traffic violator school issues over the next three years."

Yeah a friend of mine told me about that when I found out about my ticket. I don't really mind that it's "hidden" as long as I don't get the point on my license and a raise in my insurance premium. I'll just have to be a little more watchful so as not to get another ticket because then the court can pull out the old one and I can get ****ed insurance wise.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
With all due respect, I just dont get this thread. Sucks getting pinched (I just got dinged for a silly speeding ticket last week, when I wasnt even aware I was speeding). But, if you rolled through the stop...you rolled through the stop. Whether during a crowded time or otherwise, I cant see a judge agreeing that its a silly rule. It is what it is.

Not trying to bash you, but if your free time is as valuable as mine, it seems like a lot of effort to fight in hopes of dismissal. Now, if you're going to court solely to get it amended & traffic school issued, that's an altogether different situation, which I truly recommend.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by lawguy
With all due respect, I just dont get this thread. Sucks getting pinched (I just got dinged for a silly speeding ticket last week, when I wasnt even aware I was speeding). But, if you rolled through the stop...you rolled through the stop. Whether during a crowded time or otherwise, I cant see a judge agreeing that its a silly rule. It is what it is.

Not trying to bash you, but if your free time is as valuable as mine, it seems like a lot of effort to fight in hopes of dismissal. Now, if you're going to court solely to get it amended & traffic school issued, that's an altogether different situation, which I truly recommend.
I agree with you 100%. The law is the law and if you knowingly break it then you have to risk dealing with the consequences, despite if you think it's an "unfair" law. I guess the only difference here is that LA has voted on removing the red light camera system and the LA County courts have no longer pursued those with tickets. BH is a separate city but is under the LA County Superior court system. I guess if I had received the ticket, I'd probably be looking for a way out since the system is slowly being shut down and others in the LA metro region aren't having to pay and getting it on their record.

The system is being shut down because people were getting tickets even when they were making a full stop. The system is obviously flawed. But yeah, in this case the OP admitted to breaking the law. In the end it's up to his own conscience......
Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lawguy

The main point is to shed light on how terrible red light cameras are in bh.

And because I wasn't very versed on going to court or what's going on with red light cameras and the laws on them in LA County I was hoping people would chime in as they did.

ie: 220S mentioning trial by declaration in case red light cameras phase out of bh, since after all I'm dealing with la superior court.

But I will probably end up just going to court to see if I can get the ticket fine lowered and traffic school.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Hyperlite
The main point is to shed light on how terrible red light cameras are in bh.

And because I wasn't very versed on going to court or what's going on with red light cameras and the laws on them in LA County I was hoping people would chime in as they did.

ie: 220S mentioning trial by declaration in case red light cameras phase out of bh, since after all I'm dealing with la superior court.

But I will probably end up just going to court to see if I can get the ticket fine lowered and traffic school.
Gotcha. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Who is the ticket ...

issued to?

Here in the Houston area, those red light tickets are issued to the registered owner of the car but do not go on that person's record erego, no points.

Failure to pay the fine results in the State denying a registration renewal until it is paid.

If running lights is a habit, drive disposable cars...