Sponsored by:

Supercharger magnet removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The glued in and greased bearings are on the other end.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Thanks man....

Originally Posted by cnterline
It's gonna bend the s/c coupler /flange it's flimsy,I told you heat it up and pull it off,the coil is so far away it's not gonna melt anything ,your just heating up the area where the threads of the bolt is,pull the two little pins out with vise grips and heat it up, I've done it twice ,no problems ,or if you don't want to do that try finding the MB puller for the coupler/flange
But good luck with that
Super thanks, ok so here is what happen my friend just bought E 55 2004 also with the familiar Chirp sound he got so pissed he sprayed some grease between the supercharger and the S/C Coupler see picture..
Before I could warn him he started the car and went of chirp sound gone S/C seem to not engage Chirp sound gone, he turned picked me up we went for some good runs and no car seems weak, we kept pushing it until we got to the garage one last boost damn there the chirp sound and since that is gone, we can feel it engage no doubt and car easily run 220 km/h on the highway..
I tried clean it for him with contact spray and left it dry of, I think we need remove it what you think can it get in between and destroy it?
What if washing engine do you cover it can water enter also?

I just want ask before doing to much,, the Dowel pins I read here something but you say heat it first
heating up the area where the threads of the bolt is

1 Picture Dowel pins

2 Where he put lube, stupid but to late..

Dowel pins.. hard to reach or?

Red arrow here he put lube chirp sound gone even after 1000 km driving..
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320, 2009 Cayenne GTS
Originally Posted by Snogard
Yeah, i thought so also. Thanks anyway. But i just discovered that it is not the magnet itself that is faulty, but just protection diode inside SC electromagnetic clutch wire connector (yes, there is little diode inside SC clutch connnector which (diode itself) connects to both (+and-) wires of SC clutch wires). So no need to remove anything, just swap N1-A diode inside connector and game is on again...

So if in the future someone will have faulty magnet, then i suggest that you first look at the protection diode inside connector.
Forgive me for resurrecting this very old thread, but I have just diagnosed an electrical issue on my SLK32's supercharger.
There is zero resistance between the two terminals of the connector, it was pulling down the voltage of that circuit of the engine management to 10V, causing error codes on the SAI switchover solenoid and both oxygen sensors.
Is it feasible that this diode going faulty could cause this symptom? (I don't know much about electronics)

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey Steve,

Diodes do a couple of things for cars. For one they protect the ECU and other important components like SAM and COM circuits.
If we look at a basic Alternator which charges the battery it generates an alternating current much like we use in the home.
A diode trio rectifies the AC to DC which our batteries need for life.
The magnetic clutch on the supercharger and some air conditioning clutch generates some eddy current like an alternator in the form of AC which can harm the electronics described above. A relay might contain a diode for motor circuits like the fuel pump and convertible top motors as well.
The diode drains harmful AC from the circuit.
You can test them with an ohm meter one way shows 0-10 or low resistance. reversing the leads should be in the Mega ohm to infinite range.
Make sense yet? the meter should only read in one direction across the diode with the external circuit disconnected. Hence Relay removed or key off.
There will be a resistance value of the clutch coil on the supercharger unless the diode is internal.
A good WIS test required here.
Hope this helps.

Gator
The following users liked this post:
StevenHaywood (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 05:18 AM

1999 ML320, 2009 Cayenne GTS
Thanks for the reply Gator
Turns out actually my diode is toast - 500+ kOhm in both directions. The low resistance on the coil was as designed, actually about 3 ohms. The low voltage on the circuit was caused by a faulty solder joint in the K40 relay unit...
So now trying to find a new diode... How risky is it not to have one in place? Does anyone know the specs of the diode required? I can't see a number on mine

Last edited by StevenHaywood; 06-10-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY06 E55
Can this clutch be pulled off with the supercharger still on the car ?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Yes, I have done it twice
Old 08-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY06 E55
Yes, I have done it twice
great, do you mind if I ask you a few questions ?

Is it just a case of pull the blower pulley off, pull the 2 pins, and get a gear puller on it ? ( perhaps some heat on the centre shaft ( away from the clutch frictions ?)
I want to do this and then rmachine the clutch face flat and reinstall it.
Does this sound achievable ? any suggestions to reinstall ?
Or can I pm you ? or call you ?
Thanks and Regards
Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Originally Posted by Mr. CVE
great, do you mind if I ask you a few questions ?

Is it just a case of pull the blower pulley off, pull the 2 pins, and get a gear puller on it ? ( perhaps some heat on the centre shaft ( away from the clutch frictions ?)
I want to do this and then rmachine the clutch face flat and reinstall it.
Does this sound achievable ? any suggestions to reinstall ?
Or can I pm you ? or call you ?
Thanks and Regards

Pm sent
Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard
Yeah, i thought so also. Thanks anyway. But i just discovered that it is not the magnet itself that is faulty, but just protection diode inside SC electromagnetic clutch wire connector (yes, there is little diode inside SC clutch connnector which (diode itself) connects to both (+and-) wires of SC clutch wires). So no need to remove anything, just swap N1-A diode inside connector and game is on again...

So if in the future someone will have faulty magnet, then i suggest that you first look at the protection diode inside connector.

can you help me with this? I think it may be my problem. How do I find what you are talking about here?
Old 02-17-2020, 01:47 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 CLS55
Im looking for the diode too. Is the diode 12v 3amps?
Old 02-02-2022, 01:16 PM

CLS 55 amg
It's gonna bend the s/c coupler /flange it's flimsy,I told you heat it up and pull it off,the coil is so far away it's not gonna melt anything ,your just heating up the area where the threads of the bolt is,pull the two little pins out with vise grips and heat it up, I've done it twice ,no problems ,or if you don't want to do that try finding the MB puller for the coupler/flange
But good luck with that
Originally Posted by ta72
Im looking for the diode too. Is the diode 12v 3amps?
hello does anyone know where to find the correct diode i tried the 12v 5w ac zener diode does not work. Thank you
Old 02-02-2022, 01:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2006 E55 AMG
A Zener diode will not work. A standard 1N4004 or a 1N914 should work just fine.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:53 PM

CLS 55 amg
Originally Posted by nemiro
A Zener diode will not work. A standard 1N4004 or a 1N914 should work just fine.
thanks man i will try that
Old 10-01-2023, 01:04 PM

AMG GLC43, Audi A4, Ferrari 360, MG MGA, Ferrari F355CH
Hi guys, I had this issue with replacing my coil packs and two of the black pieces flew out before I figured out how to use the toothpick trick. With the toothpick and a tiny amount of teflon lube spray before unlatching the remaining connectors came out by hand with no effort.

But for the 2 that are now latching back in but not really holding tight is there a possibility to replace the inner black piece inside the connector without touching/altering the harness and swapping the *entire* connector?

Thank you all!