W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Anyone have DIY tips for replacing alternator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
Exclamation Anyone have DIY tips for replacing alternator?

As the title suggests... I'd like to try to do it myself to create a DIY as this seems to be a common failure these days... However, there's all kinds of crap (coolant cables) and such in the way... I have no idea how to even begin to take the Alt out...

Any pointers will be appreciated...

- Edit: Worst case scenario, anyone know of a good, trustworthy, reputable repair shop in the East Bay? I live in Vacaville so I can branch out to either Sac or towards SF... Alt is dead so car will need to be towed either way... Thanks!

Last edited by harjothundal; 08-04-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added information
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Did you read this? https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lternator.html

Search is your friend.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
Yes, search IS my friend... Jump to your link and take a look at the last post.. Then notice the date it was posted.. Thanks for the suggestion, but it's been done..

I've pm'ed a couple members after doing a "search" and a few of you have replied with very useful information.. Thank you for the help.. From what I learned, you must remove the fan shroud and a few radiator cables to wiggle the alt out the top... It can't come out through the bottom due to the strut being in the way.. One member removed it from the bottom but had to loosen an engine mount and tilt the engine to the drivers side..

If anyone else has any good info please do share! I plan on (hopefully) making a detailed DIY out of this...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Just did this 2 weeks ago. Stupid alternator died I thought no biggie, probably is the regulator. Replaced that but no luck, waste of 80 bucks. Now I have a spare.

Here's what I did.
I removed the FAN completely.
Removed all coolant hoses that were in the way. This ofcourse means draining your coolant prior.
DISCONNECT your battery.
Remove belts.
unbolt the 2 alternator mounting bolts from the engine.
Turn it around in it's place and remove the exciter wire plug and B1+ connector.
Wiggle it out towards front of car so it's front of the timing case cover and pull it up.
If it's still too tight then remove the regulator out in it's place then try to pull it out.

I know it looks like HELL when you look at it but should be pretty straight forward. Just remember take it one step at a time. E55 should be similar. Removing the fan helped me alot.

Last edited by benz_addict; 08-06-2011 at 04:49 AM.