Meth vs. Nitrous

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Meth vs. Nitrous

I was wanting to open a discusion on using either products for cooling and wanted some thoughts.

Instead of running meth, why not a small shot, say a 50-75 shot for cooling. Nitrous would be alot easier to tune on, and as long as it is relatively small, it should be safe and produce a whole lot better gains than meth.

What you guys think?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
The problem I see is nitrous runs out way to fast so it isn't a "always there" type of mod. I ran a 60hp dry shot on a car of mine and you could get about 10 bursts through the gears and then it was a big drop in power and you are ready for another (at the time $25 bottle fill up). My methanol kit on my other car uses a 1.2 gallon tank and I use a 625cc nozzle with 150psi pump. I can run through the gears triple the amount if not more before I run through that gallon of washer fluid and then that is an easy $1.25 fix that can be purchased just about anywhere. Those are my opinions on the two. With that said, nitrous will definitely make a more significant difference because it is going to cool to sustain power while also adding power where the meth injection is going to really just be sustaining your power in a setup that we are all looking to run, but I personally would choose the meth injection which is also safer since it isn't increasing cylinder pressures like the nitrous does.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by urbamworm
The problem I see is nitrous runs out way to fast so it isn't a "always there" type of mod. I ran a 60hp dry shot on a car of mine and you could get about 10 bursts through the gears and then it was a big drop in power and you are ready for another (at the time $25 bottle fill up). My methanol kit on my other car uses a 1.2 gallon tank and I use a 625cc nozzle with 150psi pump. I can run through the gears triple the amount if not more before I run through that gallon of washer fluid and then that is an easy $1.25 fix that can be purchased just about anywhere. Those are my opinions on the two. With that said, nitrous will definitely make a more significant difference because it is going to cool to sustain power while also adding power where the meth injection is going to really just be sustaining your power in a setup that we are all looking to run, but I personally would choose the meth injection which is also safer since it isn't increasing cylinder pressures like the nitrous does.
I agree, nitrous is fine for the track but useless on the street. I'm not saying it doesn't work because your on the street, it just crappy to have something that isn't there all the time. No to mention nitrous is much harder on the motor then running meth, in fact running meth can be good for the motor.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
i'll go with the small shot of NOS when the time comes -- either 30 dry or 50 wet --

Such a small shot will last longer and wont put incredible stress on the engine... Also, I dont get many chances to race... thus, I will be using it Rarely.

Most of my driving is grandma style going to the grocery store and a E350 power would suffice -- some of the time passing on the freeway an E550 would suffice ... few times do i need OEM E55 power -- and a handful of times i needed 600crank HP --

I just dont get many chances to race quality cars or bikes... thus, I will be using it Rarely.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Well, I would want the extra power there just for when I plant the throttle as well which could be many times on a drive, not just if someone is beside me. That is why I would never choose nitrous over meth injection.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by urbamworm
The above is so true.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
I consider methanol as more of an insurance policy against detonation. I wouldn't use nitrous as a cooling agent, its too damn expensive. I know they used to make those intercooler spray bar kits (I believe Nitrous Express sold them) and they never really did much or so I was told. Would you guys ever consider running a dry 50 shot on our cars w/o a tune?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stage 3 63
Hey

Nos. I used 100bhp on runs and small shots never ever had a problem, but that my opinion

Acid