Sponsored by:

Got some Respect tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Just curious, did you leave traction control on during these spints or disable it. I can now spin my tires briefly with traction control on, so curious about your approach here.

Nice run/story!

Alex
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I think the "respect" indeed comes from the collective whole that design, engineer, etc. the "brand". Also, much of the respect comes from the history, cache, and bloodline of a brand or individual model. People definitely have their priorities muddled if they feel that respect toward their car = respect to them as people, or vice versa, but a car or a car manufacturer can earn respect (that's one of the leading reasons that people buy M-B's in general).

As said before; a car is a work of art, and a highly technological form of (mobile) engineering. Some people look at still paintings all day long, and pay thousands/millions for them. I prefer to look at cars all day long, and feel that they are equally worthy of "art form". Not to mention, people obsess over appliances as well, which cars also are: Appliances, pieces of tech, etc. Not to mention human nature's ever-long obsession with motors, and things that they can get into and drive. So a car can really be a whole package to many people, worthy of constant praise, obsession, constant thoughts, etc., if they see it in such a way.

To me, what I find crazy is those who obsess over Sports Teams.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by K-A
I think the "respect" indeed comes from the collective whole that design, engineer, etc. the "brand". Also, much of the respect comes from the history, cache, and bloodline of a brand or individual model. People definitely have their priorities muddled if they feel that respect toward their car = respect to them as people, or vice versa, but a car or a car manufacturer can earn respect (that's one of the leading reasons that people buy M-B's in general).

As said before; a car is a work of art, and a highly technological form of (mobile) engineering. Some people look at still paintings all day long, and pay thousands/millions for them. I prefer to look at cars all day long, and feel that they are equally worthy of "art form". Not to mention, people obsess over appliances as well, which cars also are: Appliances, pieces of tech, etc. Not to mention human nature's ever-long obsession with motors, and things that they can get into and drive. So a car can really be a whole package to many people, worthy of constant praise, obsession, constant thoughts, etc., if they see it in such a way.

well, can't say I agree with any of that, save for maybe the last line, but I can at least acknowledge your decision.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think that the problem lies in the separation between the braggart d-bags who always have to have the newest, or fastest, or most "hot" thing on the block, and like to boast about it, or use it as a *****-extension/chip on shoulder, and those who genuinely appreciate cars in the art-form, engineering form that I mentioned, don't use them as competitive "better than thou" tools, etc. For example, those who prefer a 930 Turbo or 993 Turbo, over even a 997 Turbo, because it simply speaks to them more.

I can go to a Hyundai lot and enjoy looking at the designs, analyzing their interiors in terms of what looks good and what looks bad/lesser than my cars of choice, and can find something interesting about the way that they operate.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 PM

E55 AMG
K-A, very well said. You and I seem to be on the same page about it.

Oliver, I also see where you are coming from. You seem to think, from what I can tell, this respect thing means that people want to be acknowledged in a positive way for what they drive. Kind of what K-A was saying, you have art vs. ego's. I do see a downside in people wanting to be respected for them having money and being able to buy an actual piece of art. Although they might want to be respected due to all of the work that they had to do to become wealthy. There are also people who just love to modify an already built piece of art.

Respect is just a word. People feel good when they modify a car and somebody compliments them for what they have done. It also hurts when somebody bashes it. It is a fine line when their mods aren't everybodies preference.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Smile

To me, what I find crazy is those who obsess over Sports Teams.[/QUOTE]

Obviously, you don't live in Pittsburgh!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by Coalman
Obviously, you don't live in Pittsburgh![/quote]

Yep, watching men wearing tights bending over grabbing A$$ and then jumping on each other chasing a ball does nothing for me. I'm weird that way. But at least the beer is good!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Coalman
Obviously, you don't live in Pittsburgh![/QUOTE]

Or Boston .... I mean how can you not like sports
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by pearlpower
Yep, watching men wearing tights bending over grabbing A$$ and then jumping on each other chasing a ball does nothing for me. I'm weird that way. But at least the beer is good!
Lol. Agreed.

I mean, I was a Sports obsessor when I was young, and when I played (all Sports), but now, it baffles me how ape-sh** or downright dumb (read: People killing each other over the crap) people can be due to "their teams". These teams consist of individual owners and revolving players from all over the world (thus not exactly technically representing said Cities), when the teams represent cities merely in technicality and business.

Idk, it is fun, and I "get it" when it's done healthily, but when people obsess so much, and live so vicariously, I just don't get it anymore (when I was a kid, I went through like weeks of depression when the then-L.A Raiders lost in the Playoffs.... wtf).

I'd rather obsess and fight about cars, at least we own them, operate them, and can represent them personally.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
After that is was a long ride home from Mexico
hahahahahahaha
Nice
Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
well, can't say I agree with any of that, save for maybe the last line, but I can at least acknowledge your decision.

I understand your point about the car itself but, at least in this case, I think the respect would be in the form of acknowledgment from one performance car enthusiast to another on the quality of their choice in cars and their passion towards making this already beast out the factory piece of art, into a monstrously powerful work of self-expression. Instead of the opposite of that being the M driver rolling down his window and yelling something along the lines of "AMG stands for AH EM GAY" or the other typical insults you hear from people more concerned with having the most expensive/fastest car on the road than enjoying the cars themselves and the occasional run-ins with others who share your own interests and just happen to have chosen another brand of vehicular-art.

You stated you weren't a die-hard enthusiast or anything but I hope this helps explain how I believe myself and others view the subject.

Last edited by Hyperlite; 09-08-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I'd rather watch Car auctions and other car shows than sports (football, baseball, etc). More interesting in seeing the design of cars over the years.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I turned traction control off for a better exageration of blowing dem tires
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by novae500
I'd rather watch Car auctions and other car shows than sports (football, baseball, etc). More interesting in seeing the design of cars over the years.

I love going to Auctions and seeing all the cars. Hell I love going to Repo/Tow Auctions with $200 hoopties.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Got another solute last night from an E39 M5 owner, what is going on
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 360 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
E39 M5 guys are the coolest of the bunch. Those dudes are in it for the love of the game.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
With my job, wife, travel and 3 kids I had to pick one sport to follow, so it's NASCAR. While I have yet to physically go to a race I watch the Sprint Cup races every Sunday. As those cars make 850 - 900HP (Naturally aspirated and carberated to boot!), I can really get into it.

My wife hates it but oh well.

For what it's worth NASCAR crushes all other sports in attendance, viewership and revenue in the US. A small NASCAR race gets 100,000 fans attending, a large one, Daytona, Talledega can get 250,000 fans in the stands! The biggest football stadium holds, maybe 80,000?

As for weekly TV viewership it's usually 3M-5M and as a revenue stream Nascar is in the billions annually.

All my buddies think it's red neck, (driving in circles dude!), but I disagree completely. Yes a man can wear Brooks Brothers Suits (I have 30 of them) and enjoy Nascar.

Football, Baseball, Hockey....ehh...

Oh and from a historical perspective, the ancient romans (the Eastern Roman empire, specifcally in Contantinople, modern day Turkey, Instanbul, had the "Hippadrome" with a U shaped/Circular track where they had charriot racing. This was around 300 - 500 AD. So technically NASCAR continues this sport through today.

Alex