W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too flashy for the workplace?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by pearlpower
perception will always be Mercedes>Chrysler.
I get **** all the time at my work because of my car. It wasn't expensive and my friend works at an indy shop so maintenance/repairs don't cost me much (his boss lets him do side jobs on my car). There's one guy that drives an Escalade ESV part of the time and another recently bought a newer Tahoe. Both of those are worth more than my car yet, they still give me a hard time just because I drive a Mercedes.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
I pray Charlie doesn't read this thread *tears*

I am a mid 20's business owner (retail) and I got away with it purely due to the neighborhood it was located in... Every one that that worked for me had nothing buy awe inspiring things to say about the car and nobody was a dick about it, which was very refreshing.

The pure, honest, stand up gentlemen I sold the car to let it go for the exact opposite situation and it makes me sick honestly. It seems as if no one can see the line drawn between a pure auto enthusiast and a materialist pig, and it isn't that hard to decipher.

It's funny because that star emblem represents a $100k car when it's worth a fraction of that today.

My opinion, be honest with the industry you are in and what that car will mean to your co-workers, boss, cliental etc. And at the end of the day, if you're anything like myself, you'll say **** it and drive what you want because it puts a smile on YOUR face.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Lol ... I often get comments at work about the E55 ... Surprises me how many folks recognize the AMG. I just say I stole it. . I alternate between my old W124 300D and the AMG. That keeps the opinions down!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Yah ... We did too

Originally Posted by tgoss
Every one that that worked for me had nothing buy awe inspiring things to say about the car
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Who cares what other people think.
I'm 25 and drive my car to work all the time, nobody cares.
Even leave it there (inside the building) overnight sometimes, then again we own the building/business so I guess that's a plus.

Last edited by _AMG_; 09-19-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Strigoi
I get **** all the time at my work because of my car. It wasn't expensive and my friend works at an indy shop so maintenance/repairs don't cost me much (his boss lets him do side jobs on my car). There's one guy that drives an Escalade ESV part of the time and another recently bought a newer Tahoe. Both of those are worth more than my car yet, they still give me a hard time just because I drive a Mercedes.
This is funny, as it's very true. It could be a Benz worth $10K now, but if it shows well, then people who drive much newer, much more expensive cars that don't have the everlasting cache of "Mercedes-Benz" will think you're a snob and materialist because of it. I have to explain to some people that "I spend all my money on cars, I'm purely a Benz enthusiast", when I want to downplay something, and the enthusiast part is true.... Unfortunately, many people perceive M-B drivers as more materialistic than enthusiastic.

This is a good and interesting Thread.

I get many comments and have to calculate the perception I give off with my car (even more-so because I'm under 30). I like the E-Class because it plays two roles: Understated, logical Sedan when you want it to be, and prestigious, expensive, "flashy" Luxury Car when you want it to be. If you have something like an SL, or even CLS, then you can't really play that "which face will I show today" game. Ferrari/RR/Bentley/911? Forget about it, you're only showing one face very strongly. To be honest, in many ways, I'd feel a little embarrassed/conscious in one of those.... And I am the type that likes to flaunt (to myself) and value how I do things on my terms, how I want, and when I want.... But I still have a conscience.

Last night, one of my "Employers" saw me pull up in my E. He owns a Vette, Tahoe, Camaro, and just got a brand New Lamborghini Gallardo.

I tried to act as if I didn't notice him, looked in the other direction, and drove around to park. I see him later, and he says "Did you get another New Benz? Wow, she sure is pretty!". I downplayed it by saying "Uhh, well, I got it a year ago, so it's not New New.... But, but, I actually just traded in my last one for an identical car 3 months ago, FOR CHEAPER PAYMENTS (stressing that I wanted/needed cheaper payments), and sold my second car because I felt it wasn't necessary to have a second car, or to spend money to replace it with another second car".

Different people who cut your checks will respond differently to you. I'm independent, so I have different sources of income. With my line of work, I think that they usually will be impressed or respect you more, as it proves that you are doing well with yourself. So with him, he seemed genuinely impressed and respected the fruit of my labor. Hopefully that stands as true.

Last edited by K-A; 09-19-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by tgoss
I pray Charlie doesn't read this thread *tears*

I am a mid 20's business owner (retail) and I got away with it purely due to the neighborhood it was located in... Every one that that worked for me had nothing buy awe inspiring things to say about the car and nobody was a dick about it, which was very refreshing.

The pure, honest, stand up gentlemen I sold the car to let it go for the exact opposite situation and it makes me sick honestly. It seems as if no one can see the line drawn between a pure auto enthusiast and a materialist pig, and it isn't that hard to decipher.

It's funny because that star emblem represents a $100k car when it's worth a fraction of that today.

My opinion, be honest with the industry you are in and what that car will mean to your co-workers, boss, cliental etc. And at the end of the day, if you're anything like myself, you'll say **** it and drive what you want because it puts a smile on YOUR face.
Haha...yes, I just sold Tal's car due to the massive amounts of bull**** I have received about it. Have owned a ton of cars and never received a response like this before, even my black one didn't conjure up this type of sentiment. I am...ummmm...older then mid 20s and own a construction and construction supply business..(only drove it to the shop/store never out to a jobsite) Our industry isn't exactly kicking *** so a "new $100k+" plus car wasn't received warmly by a lot of my clients. I know for a fact that I lost some business due to it. On one hand I want to tell those jealous ***** to GTFO, but on the other hand I have three kids and a wife to consider and those same douchebags help pay the bills. My wife said I should keep it and just drive it on the weekends, but that defeats the whole purpose for me. It is going to a great home, so that is the good news, unfortunately I am going to miss the hell out of it.

Last edited by 930chas; 09-19-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Wow! That sucks! Things are pretty rough if that's the case. I hate to sound like one of "those guys", but that's so "un-American" for people to think and judge like that. They should be told: "You don't like it? Then do your best to get yours!" It's not like you cheated or stole to get it (I'd guess, lol).
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
All,

Very interesting thread! I think this depends on two variables, 1) How old you are and 2) What industry you work in. I'm 42 and am a Software Sales Manager who works in Scottsdale AZ. The E55 fits me perfectly as my bosses' boss drives a jag and my boss has his own ranch and has a few difference nice cars.

I've even bumped into my bosses boss in the garage as he's just parked his Jag and we chat momentarily about cars. This guy is a SVP & GM managing a $30M piece of business and has a huge house in Scottsdale. Never has he given me the impression that my car is too much or that I should be worried. In fact my sense is quite the opposite, that I bust my *** at work, I dress immacculately I wear nothing but Brooksbrothers suits (I have 30 of them), when nobdy else at work does. (I don't wear a tie though). Combine all this together with the E55, and I'd guess my reputation to my bosses (which is all I really care about), is one of an up and coming leiutenant who one day would fit right in perfectly to upper Management. (My goal is to be a Director by the time I'm 43.)

So for my age and my industry, it's a perfect fit, but I can see how in other industries this car might not go over so well.

Also the earlier comments about women is spot on. While I am happily married with 3 kids, in Scottsdale you can definitely tell when you pull up in the E55. The chicks look at you just a bit longer when you step out of the car, especially if you're wearing a suit. (Most people in AZ do not, as it's hot.) It's funny but whenever the other managers want to go to lunch, they ask me to drive because invariably, we go out to somewhere close and they don't want to be seen pulling up in their older/less attractive cars I guess.

I think a nice car is sort of the, "Dress/Drive for who you WANT to be," not who you are. Like dressing, dress for the job you WANT not the one you HAVE. Dress/drive for success sort of thing.

Sorry about the long response, this is a very cool/interesting thread.

Alex

Last edited by alextaylor29; 09-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Also just wanted to add one more thing. Given the state of the economy/recession, I can definitely see how the, "Envy quotient" is much higher than it normally would be, if you're driving an E55 and other people barely have enough $$ to put gas in their tank.

Just wanted to add that on part. If it were still the mid 2000's where everything was rocking, I'm guessing this wouldn't even be a concern!

Alex
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM

2008 e63 AMG
I'm not quite in my 20s anymore, but it's true. I get flack all the time and I've only had my e63 for a month. Tons of "we're paying you too much" or "oh ok, Mr Mercedes driver". Like was said above, most people don't know what AMG means, but when no one else in the company drives a Benz, you get crap.

Oh I try to deflect it with "I drove a 97 4Runner for 14 years" but they see the emblem and assume you're rich.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I'm approaching 40yo and end of the day, its up to you to decide what to drive to work. If its going to make you lose business $$$ or have upper mgt do a second look when they see you, then drive a back up car. Discrimination will always happen when people see you driving a mercedes not knowing the age of the mercedes. Negative or positive. I did that as a kid growing up. Wow they must make alot of $$$ to drive a Mercedes. Owning one means, 'you've made it in life" i would think as a kid.

I tend to drive my 12yo Civic Si to work and one of the mercedes on Fridays-weekend. I've been spotted on Fridays driving it by coworkers/mgt. So if they say we are paying you too much/nice car, I respond, I purchased this 6yr old car before i worked here or joking its my wife's car i'm borrowing. End of conversation most of the time.

My director is a car guy and drives a G37 and asked what i drove. I said Civic Si. He was come on, that may be your dd or beater car. So i told him i drive an 06 Mercedes 4matic. He saw it and thought it was only a couple years old vs 5 yo. His dream car is a porsche 911 TT, but due to having 3 kids and a 4th one on the way, trading in the G37 for a Honda Odyssey.

Work smart, not hard is my work ethic and purchase at a bargain on high end luxury goods that you can afford. Let the haters continue to hate.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 AM

e55,cayenne turbo, supra, sti
every time I get a **** comment I just tell people they should have told their wife that works in anesthesia to buy them one. When they respond that their wife does not work in anesthesia I say sucks to be you.

I offer every person that makes a positive comment a ride and many times they take me up on it. It is amazing how many new friends you will make.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by novae500
His dream car is a porsche 911 TT, but due to having 3 kids and a 4th one on the way, trading in the G37 for a Honda Odyssey.
Ouch! That's depressing.

How many of them do you need anyway???? (Kids, not Porsche 911 TT's )
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
agreed!! i have one 2yo and just get alot of practice but no more kids!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
I think a nice car is sort of the, "Dress/Drive for who you WANT to be," not who you are. Like dressing, dress for the job you WANT not the one you HAVE. Dress/drive for success sort of thing.
I agree completely. I'm in the camp to dress better, but not over, than your boss. Mine wears khakis and polos, I wear made-to-measure (mytailor.com ftw!), open collar dress shirts and slacks. But I'd never wear a tie. If my boss wore a tie, I'd wear nicer ones, but never a jacket.

As for cars, I'd say it is a non-issue. He drives an Acura and BMW motocycle. In my department there is one Jaguar, a couple Range Rovers, and one Bimmer that I know of. If anything, I'll get a comment asking why I didn't get a new one. hehe

I don't buy that it will influence whether you lose your job or not. I don't buy that "all other things being equal" nonsense, either. All other things aren't equal. People don't get paid the same... they have different education, tenure, performance reviews, bosses, etc. If you're on the chopping block it isn't because you drive a nice car. It's because you are considered worth losing.

Cut backs are tough, I've lost a job to one. If yo lose your job as part of a 25% reduction in workforce, your car had nothing to do with that. If you are the only one that got laid off, it still isn't your car's fault. Make yourself valuable, work hard with a good attitude, be part of the team and help your colleagues when they need help. When you leave the company, whether voluntarily or not, make them wish you were still there because they were a better department. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bamaster
I agree completely. I'm in the camp to dress better, but not over, than your boss. Mine wears khakis and polos, I wear made-to-measure (mytailor.com ftw!), open collar dress shirts and slacks. But I'd never wear a tie. If my boss wore a tie, I'd wear nicer ones, but never a jacket.

As for cars, I'd say it is a non-issue. He drives an Acura and BMW motocycle. In my department there is one Jaguar, a couple Range Rovers, and one Bimmer that I know of. If anything, I'll get a comment asking why I didn't get a new one. hehe

I don't buy that it will influence whether you lose your job or not. I don't buy that "all other things being equal" nonsense, either. All other things aren't equal. People don't get paid the same... they have different education, tenure, performance reviews, bosses, etc. If you're on the chopping block it isn't because you drive a nice car. It's because you are considered worth losing.

Cut backs are tough, I've lost a job to one. If yo lose your job as part of a 25% reduction in workforce, your car had nothing to do with that. If you are the only one that got laid off, it still isn't your car's fault. Make yourself valuable, work hard with a good attitude, be part of the team and help your colleagues when they need help. When you leave the company, whether voluntarily or not, make them wish you were still there because they were a better department. Good luck!
100% agreed. My company has had 4 RIFs (Reduction in force - ie. layoffs) in 4 years) and I've never been worried. If you bust your *** at work, produce results and execute, you'll alwasy have a job. If you have to leave, your reputation will proceed you and you'll get another one don't worry.

Somebody famous once said, "40 vs. 60 hours a week is the difference between a job and a career." So work hard, execute, deliver results, and your work/career will reward you, and you'll be able to drive whatever you want.

Another good quote on this is..."Thank god for the lazy people, for without them, I'd have to work doubly hard." - Mark Twain.

Lastly, (national athem begins to quietly play in the background...) this is the USA right? Every $$ I have I earned personally, so I'll be damned if somebody has issues with what I drive. I earned every freaking penny I have and continue to do this daily. I have yet to meet a very successful person who negatively commented on what I've done with my life so far.

Generally in life I've found, those that criticize you for being/showing your success that you earned, in reality are simply jealous and quietly wish they had your success but refuse to pay the price for it. (Working longer/harder/never quitting.)

Last quote..."In life there will be a long line of people waiting to shake your hand telling you want you cannot do/accomplish in this world and conversely a much shorter line of people that will shake your hand and tell you what you can accoplish in life. Just listen to the latter people.

OK I'll stop now, jeez!

Alex
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I am surprised to hear that this public perception is so pervasive.

One of the owners of my company commented that I should not be driving such a nice car referring to my 03 SL55. After all, I am just the VP of Operations and should not be driving a $100k car. He had no idea what I paid for it and I suspect thought it was new. I just blew the comment off because he is an arrogant **** that thinks he is better than everyone else. I had no idea other people have had similar experiences.

Lucky for me, my boss is a car guy. He drives his Quattroporte or G Wagon to work depending on weather. He did make the mistake of trying to pull a "hole shot" in the Mazeratti on the freeway on ramp one time. Stupid me, I walked him bad.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM

01 E39 M5 SOLD 07 E63AMG Mazda3 Hatch
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
I would not do it. Jealousy from management higher than you could be dangerous. Be careful.

+1, I am with you neither my M5 or the current beast was ever brought to my job. I drive my mazda. just better that way no need for all the questions and comments like we are paying you too much.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I just turned 30. I get crap about it at work from the guys who have kids and drive their beige sedan/minivan/low end SUV to work. Screw them. They're missing out.

I bought myself a used 911 Carrera for my 28th birthday (this was many years ago) and it became my daily driver for work. Initially, quite a few people made snide comments about my "expensive" car..... and then I told them: "This 5-year old car cost the same as a brand new Honda Accord....given the choice, which would YOU rather drive?"

That revelation generally shut them up. Most people never consider buying used, or the kinds of possibilities that are out there at a given price point. There are a LOT of ways to spend $30,000 on a car; some of them just happen to be a lot more enjoyable and fun.

Enjoy your brand new Accord or Camry.... but I'll happily take the low-mile used Porsche (or AMG) instead.

-G
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM

E63
This kind of work stuff does matter to me too. I had a Jetta TDI that I drove to the office no problem. Traded that for the E63 and started thinking, huh this is a more flashy car than my colleagues have. I am an Optometrist and I work with Opthalmologists (surgeons), one of them drives a 2007 Acadia that his wife has already driven for at least 3 years that I know of. My wife and I bought a 2007 Acadia used and had it for a year then traded it for a 2011 which still looks very similar so there is not as much noticeability.

When I got my E63 I felt like I should tell him that its not still a 98k car but more like $38k. Big difference between Jetta and E! I could see the look on his face like , that's awesome. Prejudgement is definately there whether we like it or not and how you deal with it is up to you.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM

05 E55
I own an AMG in one of the worst professions to be dubbed "Rich Boy" ....the Army. I drove a S/C 06 Mustang GT that I purchased new and spent an unholy amount of money on mods, never once catching sh*t. I sold my mustang for the beast which was 3k less than I paid for my mustang new and all of a sudden I'm a rich boy. BTW, the military is one of the very few places in the world where it is absolutely taboo to be financially stable.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM

03 SL55 AMG
Yup. Discrimination still exists to this day in the workplace. Always have, always will.

I own my own franchises and places. I can drive whatever I want.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Indeed..... there is a bizarre double-standard when it comes to comparing domestic vehicles vs. AMG. For some reason the AMG is considered "excessive" but almost nobody will diss the guy who shows up in his $60,000+ diesel pickup truck..... or a guy who just dropped $50K on a Mustang GT500.

-G
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by 930chas
Haha...yes, I just sold Tal's car due to the massive amounts of bull**** I have received about it. Have owned a ton of cars and never received a response like this before, even my black one didn't conjure up this type of sentiment. I am...ummmm...older then mid 20s and own a construction and construction supply business..(only drove it to the shop/store never out to a jobsite) Our industry isn't exactly kicking *** so a "new $100k+" plus car wasn't received warmly by a lot of my clients. I know for a fact that I lost some business due to it. On one hand I want to tell those jealous ***** to GTFO, but on the other hand I have three kids and a wife to consider and those same douchebags help pay the bills. My wife said I should keep it and just drive it on the weekends, but that defeats the whole purpose for me. It is going to a great home, so that is the good news, unfortunately I am going to miss the hell out of it.
That is just nuts, you had to sell your car and lost clients because of it? Goodness there are some sick people out there...

Originally Posted by K-A
Wow! That sucks! Things are pretty rough if that's the case. I hate to sound like one of "those guys", but that's so "un-American" for people to think and judge like that. They should be told: "You don't like it? Then do your best to get yours!" It's not like you cheated or stole to get it (I'd guess, lol).
+1 Get to work, stop being complacent, those two things will change your life more than education could.

Also just wanted to add one more thing. Given the state of the economy/recession, I can definitely see how the, "Envy quotient" is much higher than it normally would be, if you're driving an E55 and other people barely have enough $$ to put gas in their tank.

Just wanted to add that on part. If it were still the mid 2000's where everything was rocking, I'm guessing this wouldn't even be a concern!

Alex
Actually, this mess was a concern back then too, some people are just silly. Now when the economy is tighter, yes it is more "open" but the haters are always there in good or bad times.

100% agreed. My company has had 4 RIFs (Reduction in force - ie. layoffs) in 4 years) and I've never been worried. If you bust your *** at work, produce results and execute, you'll alwasy have a job. If you have to leave, your reputation will proceed you and you'll get another one don't worry.

Somebody famous once said, "40 vs. 60 hours a week is the difference between a job and a career." So work hard, execute, deliver results, and your work/career will reward you, and you'll be able to drive whatever you want.

Another good quote on this is..."Thank god for the lazy people, for without them, I'd have to work doubly hard." - Mark Twain.

Lastly, (national anthem begins to quietly play in the background...) this is the USA right? Every $$ I have I earned personally, so I'll be damned if somebody has issues with what I drive. I earned every freaking penny I have and continue to do this daily. I have yet to meet a very successful person who negatively commented on what I've done with my life so far.

Generally in life I've found, those that criticize you for being/showing your success that you earned, in reality are simply jealous and quietly wish they had your success but refuse to pay the price for it. (Working longer/harder/never quitting.)

Last quote..."In life there will be a long line of people waiting to shake your hand telling you want you cannot do/accomplish in this world and conversely a much shorter line of people that will shake your hand and tell you what you can accoplish in life. Just listen to the latter people.

OK I'll stop now, jeez!

Alex
Damn good post. I wish people would get off their a$$ and do something with their lives and stop looking at what others have. People look at my house and cars, and wonder what am I doing. WORK. While you party and drink, I am working. As Shawn Carter (Jay-Z) so eloquently (sarcasm) put it:

1. In order to walk on water I had to get out of the boat.
2. What you eat does not make me *****.

Originally Posted by GregMB
Indeed..... there is a bizarre double-standard when it comes to comparing domestic vehicles vs. AMG. For some reason the AMG is considered "excessive" but almost nobody will diss the guy who shows up in his $60,000+ diesel pickup truck..... or a guy who just dropped $50K on a Mustang GT500.

-G
Damn right it is, and perception. As crazy as it is with some people, it is what it is. Basically gents, it sums up to a bunch of silliness and hating by some. I am all into congratulating and not hating, if you have a Ferrari, Lambo, MB, or fill in the blank, I am happy for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Too flashy for the workplace?