W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too flashy for the workplace?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Too flashy for the workplace?

Does anyone who is in their 20s take their beast to work? I'm in the market for a 55 but I think I will have to debadge it to make it look more like a regular e-class.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I just turned 30. I get crap about it at work from the guys who have kids and drive their beige sedan/minivan/low end SUV to work. Screw them. They're missing out.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM

e55
most people wont even know it is different from a normal e class anyway, they will say something just because it is a benz.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
Im 22 and I bring my car to work all the time. Do it bro!!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Who cares what others think
Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I wish all employers were truly free of all kinds of discrimination but sadly they're not.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Ya and if budget cuts happen, there probably going to fire the guy with the flashiest car...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CityOfAngels
Ya and if budget cuts happen, there probably going to fire the guy with the flashiest car...

Well sounds like you just answered your own question then?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I wish all employers were truly free of all kinds of discrimination but sadly they're not.
true

Possibly true

Well why don't you pick up a civic or an accord and drive it to work and save the MB for after work and weekends.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I'm with Hammer and Cylinder. It's just a different time now with class warfare being stoked HARD!!

Careful bro.

I have a client who brags on his SS Camaro hard. You tread lightly around clients so I mentioned that have an OOOOOLLLLDDER I mean OLD OLD E55 AMG Mercedes. Have I mentioned it's old. Almost 10 years now!
Queen of England old. Barely running it's so old.

Response, "Boy Mr Rich, we are paying you TOO much for sure" He never mentioned his Camaro again.

It's probably worth more retail than mine.

LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
I sold my bright red supercharged 2006 Mustang GT because it was too flashy. I work for oil and gas and the parking garage is full of German imports and exotics. I think the E55 (at least in stock form) is very conservative. There are at least four other AMGs that I know of... so I'll fit right in.

You can drive a Corolla but if it's slammed and chromed, it's too flashy for an older crowd. Just don't pimp it out.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 PM

2007 E63
I'm in the mortgage industry. Everyone who was smart with there money drives a nice car to work. My CEO drives a Ferrari California, president drives a bentley coupe, my vp drives a m6 vert and I'm in the 63. The people who blew through there money are driving accords.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I would not do it. Jealousy from management higher than you could be dangerous. Be careful.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
I work at a hospital, and probably have the nicest car in the lot aside from a couple of vettes and audis, because it's the county hospital and even if some of the attendings did have ferraris they wouldn't park them there. As a result, I changed my vanity plate from my nickname/first initial+last name to "TORQUED" instead. It might attract just as much or more negative attention, but it's not exactly traceable to me when my coworkers/bosses/nurses/therapists walk by the car, and there are probably 400 cars in the lot.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway

As someone that has laid off hundreds of people, I can tell you that there is a lot of truth to the above statement.

Generalized discrimination is the norm, like it or not.

When it comes down to two people with similar work history and performance, the one that has the flashiest car is the one that folks will believe does not need his job as badly as the guy pulling in a minivan with a baby on board sign on the back.

When money is missing at work, yep you guessed it, the one with the new big wheels is now the suspect when no other evidence is available. Guess who is getting their hours cut, or first out the door.

Trying to show off your new stereo or exhaust at work, yep, people remember that. Just because you believe it to be cool, it does not bold well with those in power-much of the time.

I drive a crappy Chrysler to work. Even if it does cost more than early E55s, perception will always be Mercedes>Chrysler.

Nobody here was every promised life was fair and if you want to complain, take it to the labor board or to your girlfriend.

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Cayenne
My gf just got a new job. On her first day she wore her Louis Vuitton accessories and a very expensive watch.. She could see the jealousy on her manager's face. You obviously don't want this from your boss. She doesn't want me to drop her off in front of her work either since her coworkers spotted these "kids" in an "expensive mercedes".
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM

07 E63
Yeah i get a lot of crap already for the truck i drive to work. People assume i make too much money, and now with the beast in my fleet, that will be another situation i have to deal with.

But i dont care what they all think, i do what i want and thats why i buy cars and drive them to work and to pick up ladies and whatever else can keep me occupied.

DO IT!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Exactly why i bought my Lexus SC300. When you get your *** canned like i have, you will think twice about what others think
The owner of my company drove a E550. I didnt want to show him up, so the E Cinco CInco has been relegated to Weekend Reserve.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
My $.02...

I am 23, and bought my E55 about a month ago. I daily drive it, as it is the only car that I have that is comfy/clean/running/not-project-status. I am one of the newest guys in my group (about a year of employment), so its a bit ackward when people ask me about how I can afford a nice car...

I am just honest and up front with them. I tell them that its almost 10 years old, and that it costs less than a 1-2 year old Honda. I tell them I do all of my own maintainence myself (thanks to this site for awesome DIYs), and that I shop around and research parts to save money. At that point, my coworkers/managers laugh that their new loaded Honda Minivan cost more than my E55, or ask me to help them out with some car related project. They understand that I am a car person.

I say, dont worry about it. My boss knows he can turn to me to get a critical project done, and that I will deliver on time - if not before results are needed. Work hard - it shows.

Last edited by justinwrock; 09-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Funny I find this thread as tomorrow is my company picnic and I will be taking my beast to the park where the entire company will be at. Today she got the works, caly bar and Zeimo treatment. White as white could get...lol. I personally could care less what they think of me. My VP knows I have an EV12 and he is always asking me about it. He drives a Porsche and is always discussing how he loves to bang the gears here and there.Some people will be jealous, of course others will see it as you liking finer and better things in life. If I get canned, I get canned,their loss.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 PM

W203-4M W163
This is very sad to read. 2 weeks ago, I went to pick up a donation for a school at a friend/colleague of my wife's. Her husband had this amazing Mercedes S-Class, got it from an estate sale, great price. Owned by a diplomat or something, had bullet proof glass, armor plating. When I got to their house, he shows up driving this little 2006 Hyundai, so I asked him where that crazy S-Class of his was, and he says:

"I had to sell it. My boss had an ML-500 and was told that 'people in the ––––––– industry need to look poorer' or else the customers would think they are getting ripped off. So, my boss sold his and told me to get rid of mine. Didn't have much choice, but damn, do I miss that car."

This is unbelievable in the USA where we used to aspire to earning enough to own the best, now we're supposed to hide it from those who envy it? Wow. Incredible to read this, but there it is. Just like Russia in the early part of the last century.

Another Empire backfire. Back to square one.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
BTW - CityOfAngels - It says your in Silicon Valley, what tech company are you going to work for?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 PM

e55,cayenne turbo, supra, sti
the day you drive it to work it will be very clear who is worth knowing and who is not. If you are into playing office politics get a beige camry. If you are a no bull**** guy then drive the benz.

It works with chicks too, it is like you dick gets 10 inches bigger. Just bang every girl you can until some girl says nice car you should see mine, then marry her
Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Drive whatever you want. Most people don't even know it's an older car, granted it's one that still rides like a $90K sports luxo cruiser, but that shouldn't be your problem. The look on people's faces is priceless when I tell them the model year and the "bargain basement" purchase price (if they ask).
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by FraKctured
This is very sad to read. 2 weeks ago, I went to pick up a donation for a school at a friend/colleague of my wife's. Her husband had this amazing Mercedes S-Class, got it from an estate sale, great price. Owned by a diplomat or something, had bullet proof glass, armor plating. When I got to their house, he shows up driving this little 2006 Hyundai, so I asked him where that crazy S-Class of his was, and he says:

"I had to sell it. My boss had an ML-500 and was told that 'people in the ––––––– industry need to look poorer' or else the customers would think they are getting ripped off. So, my boss sold his and told me to get rid of mine. Didn't have much choice, but damn, do I miss that car."

This is unbelievable in the USA where we used to aspire to earning enough to own the best, now we're supposed to hide it from those who envy it? Wow. Incredible to read this, but there it is. Just like Russia in the early part of the last century.

Another Empire backfire. Back to square one.
+1 It is very sad and quite telling of the caliber of people you work with when these types of conversations come up. In my work and consulting I get paid to perform and provide solutions to problems with technology. What I drive or what anyone drives for that matter is irrelevant. I don't have an AMG, (next car will be) but when I read over this thread it sounds depressing.

Yeah, I know the reality of some people that get caught on these things, and perception, but it's sad that that is where someone's mentality is stuck. Strive to own a Ferrari, a Maybach, Lambo's, goodness. MB's regardless if AMG or NA are nowhere near being the most expensive cars around. I get stupid comments at times, and some nasty looks, but mostly I get nice comments (usually when I drive the CLS). I have 3 MB's, and just keep rolling.

Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Drive whatever you want. Most people don't even know it's an older car, granted it's one that still rides like a $90K sports luxo cruiser, but that shouldn't be your problem. The look on people's faces is priceless when I tell them the model year and the "bargain basement" purchase price (if they ask).
Very good point...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Too flashy for the workplace?