W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too flashy for the workplace?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 930chas
Haha...yes, I just sold Tal's car due to the massive amounts of bull**** I have received about it. Have owned a ton of cars and never received a response like this before, even my black one didn't conjure up this type of sentiment. I am...ummmm...older then mid 20s and own a construction and construction supply business..(only drove it to the shop/store never out to a jobsite) Our industry isn't exactly kicking *** so a "new $100k+" plus car wasn't received warmly by a lot of my clients. I know for a fact that I lost some business due to it. On one hand I want to tell those jealous ***** to GTFO, but on the other hand I have three kids and a wife to consider and those same douchebags help pay the bills. My wife said I should keep it and just drive it on the weekends, but that defeats the whole purpose for me. It is going to a great home, so that is the good news, unfortunately I am going to miss the hell out of it.
WOAH, man, who did you sell it too, board member?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
This is a fun discussion. I have a W210 E55, I have owned it since it was young, and it still raises some eyebrows at work as I keep it pristine and the average observer can't really tell it from a much newer car. People are incredulous that when I bought it, it cost only marginally more than a loaded Camcord, and today it is worth as much as a wonderful new Rio or Accent etc. When I bought it, one of the lower VPs where I work who heads my dept gave me the old "we are paying you too much" etc ribbing...but when I told him what these things can be had for, he started looking...couldn't find a MB he wanted, but ended up buying a nice sport package 5er (perfect for the old spoiled fratboy type imo) to replace his blandbox...I think I lured him in. We enthusiasts sometimes forget about the accidental ignorance of non-car people, or non-MB people.

Now and then I look at W211 cars, but I am hesitant to give up my clean and solid W210...if I found that exactly colored and optioned P3/030 E63, I don't know if the average observer could tell the difference from my car. They see round or oval lights, it is all the same to them. I also have a W111 fintail, and bystanders think it is worth a fortune, and then ask me who willed it to me
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by turbo97se
Yah ... We did too
HAHA, and that I could never get enough of! MBworld = WINNERS

Originally Posted by 930chas
Haha...yes, I just sold Tal's car due to the massive amounts of bull**** I have received about it. Have owned a ton of cars and never received a response like this before, even my black one didn't conjure up this type of sentiment. I am...ummmm...older then mid 20s and own a construction and construction supply business..(only drove it to the shop/store never out to a jobsite) Our industry isn't exactly kicking *** so a "new $100k+" plus car wasn't received warmly by a lot of my clients. I know for a fact that I lost some business due to it. On one hand I want to tell those jealous ***** to GTFO, but on the other hand I have three kids and a wife to consider and those same douchebags help pay the bills. My wife said I should keep it and just drive it on the weekends, but that defeats the whole purpose for me. It is going to a great home, so that is the good news, unfortunately I am going to miss the hell out of it.
Major props buddy. As sad as it is to read that and talk with you about it, it's incredibly humbling to know you will do your best to provide for your family.

You'll get something down the road mang! Only wifey is going to be driving it every day because you won't be able to take it to work

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
WOAH, man, who did you sell it too, board member?
It's definitely staying in the MBworld Community
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by GregMB
Indeed..... there is a bizarre double-standard when it comes to comparing domestic vehicles vs. AMG. For some reason the AMG is considered "excessive" but almost nobody will diss the guy who shows up in his $60,000+ diesel pickup truck..... or a guy who just dropped $50K on a Mustang GT500.

-G
Indeed. My friend works for AAA, and he said how insane it is when he sees how much some people pay for their Optioned out big Diesel Pickups. $60..$80+K. Talk about transportation that doesn't have the dollar-presence!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
All,

Very interesting thread! I think this depends on two variables, 1) How old you are and 2) What industry you work in. I'm 42 and am a Software Sales Manager who works in Scottsdale AZ. The E55 fits me perfectly as my bosses' boss drives a jag and my boss has his own ranch and has a few difference nice cars.

I've even bumped into my bosses boss in the garage as he's just parked his Jag and we chat momentarily about cars. This guy is a SVP & GM managing a $30M piece of business and has a huge house in Scottsdale. Never has he given me the impression that my car is too much or that I should be worried. In fact my sense is quite the opposite, that I bust my *** at work, I dress immacculately I wear nothing but Brooksbrothers suits (I have 30 of them), when nobdy else at work does. (I don't wear a tie though). Combine all this together with the E55, and I'd guess my reputation to my bosses (which is all I really care about), is one of an up and coming leiutenant who one day would fit right in perfectly to upper Management. (My goal is to be a Director by the time I'm 43.)

So for my age and my industry, it's a perfect fit, but I can see how in other industries this car might not go over so well.

Also the earlier comments about women is spot on. While I am happily married with 3 kids, in Scottsdale you can definitely tell when you pull up in the E55. The chicks look at you just a bit longer when you step out of the car, especially if you're wearing a suit. (Most people in AZ do not, as it's hot.) It's funny but whenever the other managers want to go to lunch, they ask me to drive because invariably, we go out to somewhere close and they don't want to be seen pulling up in their older/less attractive cars I guess.

I think a nice car is sort of the, "Dress/Drive for who you WANT to be," not who you are. Like dressing, dress for the job you WANT not the one you HAVE. Dress/drive for success sort of thing.

Sorry about the long response, this is a very cool/interesting thread.

Alex

Agree. I'm in sales in Silicon Valley (minus the suits thank god, been there and done that no disrespect) working for a 5000+ person company whose founders roll a Lambo and F 430. I'm a blip on the radar when it comes to car and conflict at work. There are other 63's, multiple M5s etc. Made my decision easy.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by CityOfAngels
Ya and if budget cuts happen, there probably going to fire the guy with the flashiest car...
Not if you're the MVP. Make yourself valuable to the company and you'll greatly reduce your chances of getting the cut. I drove BMW and Mercedes to work in my 20s. I was always one of the top sales people, so they've never have let me go.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by boschk
Not if you're the MVP. Make yourself valuable to the company and you'll greatly reduce your chances of getting the cut. I drove BMW and Mercedes to work in my 20s. I was always one of the top sales people, so they've never have let me go.

But if the company closes, sold, etc. you may still be the first out when personal performance metrics take a back seat. Or the last based on the above........ Just never now, just have to ask if it is worth it.

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Jdeastbay,

Born in raised in Cupertino myself, SJSU grad but moved to AZ about 7 years ago because I didn't want to mortgage my life for a $1M, 2,000 square foot house in Santa Clara County, by the airport. Worked in high-tech my entire life (Was Computer Department Manager at Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto in the mid-90's) so what's up brotha!

My wife is a grade of GGU Law (You have a JD in your name, so guessing here) so it's a small world. In Sillicon Valley High Tech Software Execs roll in amazing cars, this driving an E55 there would not even be an issue!

Alex
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Originally Posted by K-A
Indeed. My friend works for AAA, and he said how insane it is when he sees how much some people pay for their Optioned out big Diesel Pickups. $60..$80+K. Talk about transportation that doesn't have the dollar-presence!
But this is precisely why some people like expensive cars with "blah" badges. For instance one of the wealthiest guys I know won't buy used as he is paranoid about how the car was treated/incidents.

His latest purchase was a grey 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser, I think it was a little over $80,000 all said and done. I asked why he chose this truck.

"It'll never leave me stranded, it'll keep my kids safe and 99 percent of people won't look twice at it thinking it's just another $40,000 Toyota."
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM

B5 S4 Stg III
My commute is from my bed, to the shower, to the fridge, and then 15' into my office. The most ridicule I get is from my neighbors if my lawn gets too high because I work too much. I guess that's one of the perks from working at home.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
was always told if you gotta ask if somethings too much for you , it probably is ..
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM

2010 E350, 2011 ML350, 2003 996TT
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Jdeastbay,

Born in raised in Cupertino myself, SJSU grad but moved to AZ about 7 years ago because I didn't want to mortgage my life for a $1M, 2,000 square foot house in Santa Clara County, by the airport. Worked in high-tech my entire life (Was Computer Department Manager at Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto in the mid-90's) so what's up brotha!

My wife is a grade of GGU Law (You have a JD in your name, so guessing here) so it's a small world. In Sillicon Valley High Tech Software Execs roll in amazing cars, this driving an E55 there would not even be an issue!

Alex
I was born and raised in San Jose and went to SJSU too. I moved here to Texas 3 years ago for the same reason as you and also because schools, in general, suck there.

I'm also in high-tech and was able to move here and keep my Silicon Valley salary because of performance. It pays to work your *** off, that's for sure.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlkE55K
I was born and raised in San Jose and went to SJSU too. I moved here to Texas 3 years ago for the same reason as you and also because schools, in general, suck there.

I'm also in high-tech and was able to move here and keep my Silicon Valley salary because of performance. It pays to work your *** off, that's for sure.
100% agreed! I've kept my CA income (got a big raise in fact) but live in AZ where it's cheap! If you deliver results and continually execute for your employer, you will never be worried about your job!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by pearlpower
But if the company closes, sold, etc. you may still be the first out when personal performance metrics take a back seat. Or the last based on the above........ Just never now, just have to ask if it is worth it.
The beauty of sales is that I make money everywhere I work. I love 100% commission. I cost the company little and I negotiate excellent splits. I've never been laid off and when I feel the company is weak, I leave well before they tank. I'm 42 and I'm been through a number of mergers, buyouts and lame duck companies. None of them are a destination to me, just a means to my ends. When you're not the captain, you don't have to go down w/ the ship.

Last edited by boschk; 09-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MBFLO
was always told if you gotta ask if somethings too much for you , it probably is ..
Writing blank checks is for suckers IMHO. I even ask Doctors how much and some get pissed when I do. I see no reason that as a customer, they're beyond disclosing the cost of their services. After all, I'm paying for them.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
If you work hard, play hard. Life is too short to drive souless cars trying to win the approval of others.

My clients pay for top notch service/advice and I under promise and over deliver. I also expect the same from the other professionals I work with and don't expect the best in their field to work for free.

If my attorney, certified financial planner, and surgeon drive 20 year old Camrys/Accords or wear a $200 suit. I would question if they are making the right choices in their profession? I have much more confidence in the neurosurgeon driving a Ferarri than a 20 year old Camry!

Work hard and the money will follow, you will progress and all the jealous people will fall off your radar as they continue to worry about others playing office politics in corporate america.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
One thing this thread definitely shows. Don't be the poor performer and drive the Merc! It's definitely all about your personal situation. I've had to explain that the new camry next to the E55 cost less than the E55 countless times. There's definitely a double standard; just be sure to recognize it. Use driving the E55 to motivate you to be a top performer. Or pick up a "daily" and weekend it and mod the shi* out of it....or both
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Here's my $0.02 (and I only read the first page so I don't know what else is after it). Just because you drive a rusty old Mazda Protoge doesn't mean you don't have more money than the person driving around in the brand new MB S Class. My wife had a Mazda Protoge for years. Had rust spots on the trunk. The paint on the entire hood was down to bare metal. The interior was an absolute mess. She didn't care though, as she isn't a car person and her only point to having a vehicle is going from point a to point b. I remember the day we walked into the MB dealer and she bought her first MB. The guy started asking about financing. She said, oh, there's no need to file a credit application, I'll just write a check. The salesman was floored. To boot, we didn't even drive the car home from the dealer for a month! The dealer put it in a covered storage area and it sat there for a month as my wife didn't even want to drive it. I remember when I went back there to purchase my E55 and the salesman and I were talking about it. The thing is, a week before she bought the car, we drove by there and were looking at cars and a salesman only said hello to us and didn't even bother helping us. Had he helped us that day, my wife would have bought the car from him and he would have gotten a second sale for my E55. I saw him from time to time and he would barely look at me.

I also know people that drive Bentleys and live in 5million dollar homes that are flat *** broke! I'm talking second mortgages on their house, refinancing their car payment to seven years, barely any food in the house, and having the AC set at 78, money coming out of their savings account instead of going in broke... Just because they are driving a nice car doesn't mean they can afford it... Yes, I own two Mercedes (well, actually, my wife just traded her C300 in for a Kia Sorento SX of all things, that is the car she wanted... she could have gotten a GL but didn't want it) and a Bentley Continental SuperSports. I live in a house that I can truly afford and I put money in the bank each and every month, and I'm not talking about a hundred dollars.. Over 5,000 in the bank each and every month. Sure, I could go out and buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini... But I would rather have the money in my savings account than going towards a material possession...

If your boss looks down on you because you drive a nicer vehicle than him, that is his problem not yours! If he wants to drive a MB maybe the question he should be asking is, what do I have to do to be able to drive that?!

Everybody's situation is different and to judge someone by the vehicle they drive is just plain vain and shallow...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Perfectly said! The earlier post of the guy having to sell his Porsche for a Honda Oddessy made my heart sink for the guy.

While I think mini-vans are fantastic, user friendly, useful cars I'll never own one/buy one for just this reason. And again I have 3 kids and happily married. For the litle ones we have a Qx56 (Infinity's huge SUV) and I enjoy dirving that from time to time.

We're definitely enthusiasts on this board so this of course should be taken with a grain of salt, but if you continue to bust your a$$ as work, generally rewards do/will follow (and then income and then nice cars) as most people refuse to put in the time/hours.

For example yesterday at work we were debuting our new product in the form of a roadshow in order to drive revenue. As I'm on point putting this all together, I was up at 4AM in the car by 5AM at work by 6AM (I have a 50 mile commute one way to work) start setting up and getting everything ready. The rest of the helpers/employees started rolling in around 7AM (the event started at 8) with their Starbucks in hand, taking their time.

The event when until 5:30 PM and after it wrapped, I picked up everything, cleaned up the room and was the last guy to leave to head home with my 1.5 hourly commute (this is one way travel time). Some employees actually left early!

The event was fantastically successful and I was happy for everyone involved. My point here is not to say, "Look at me, I work hard," but basically if you make it your mission in life to out work/out hussle (in a nice way mind you) your fellow co-workers you will ALWAYS win and be rewarded. Even if people are smarter than you, if you commit to yourself that you will never be outworked and continue to, "Master your craft," you'll always win.

Life rewards expertise in a given field. If everyday you get up and focus on your profession, trying to get better/more knowlegeable at it every day, vs. your competitors, customer/clients will find YOU and seek YOU out and $$$ will flow.

OK I'm done being Tony Robbins now!

Alex
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM

A couple toys
You only live once, you cant not do stuff because someone might hate, or you might get hurt, or so on and so on. Then there'd be no fun in life. I take mine everywhere. If not why would you spend the money on it?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 AM

08 E350
I have read both positive and negative comments. Speaking from personal experience, I would say DRIVE the #&%! out of your car. You have to make yourself happy. There will always be haters in this world. Human nature. Ask yourself this when it's early in the morning and you have to go to work; Does this car make my adrenaline pump or make me lower my head and plop into the driver's seat? I am proud of my MB and wouldn't change it for the world. It is a wonderful feeling to start the car and begin the daily adventure. You only live once and don't want to be on your death bed saying I wish I drove my car more often. That would suck. It also does feel good to get the longer look over from the ladies when you step out of your ride. Driving my W211 til it won't start anymore.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by APruler
I have read both positive and negative comments. Speaking from personal experience, I would say DRIVE the #&%! out of your car. You have to make yourself happy. There will always be haters in this world. Human nature. Ask yourself this when it's early in the morning and you have to go to work; Does this car make my adrenaline pump or make me lower my head and plop into the driver's seat? I am proud of my MB and wouldn't change it for the world. It is a wonderful feeling to start the car and begin the daily adventure. You only live once and don't want to be on your death bed saying I wish I drove my car more often. That would suck. It also does feel good to get the longer look over from the ladies when you step out of your ride. Driving my W211 til it won't start anymore.
And there you have it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
just wait till your ball joints are squeeking really bad and drive through the parking lot and everyone will think its a hunk of ****.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by 06E55
Here's my $0.02 (and I only read the first page so I don't know what else is after it). Just because you drive a rusty old Mazda Protoge doesn't mean you don't have more money than the person driving around in the brand new MB S Class. My wife had a Mazda Protoge for years. Had rust spots on the trunk. The paint on the entire hood was down to bare metal. The interior was an absolute mess. She didn't care though, as she isn't a car person and her only point to having a vehicle is going from point a to point b. I remember the day we walked into the MB dealer and she bought her first MB. The guy started asking about financing. She said, oh, there's no need to file a credit application, I'll just write a check. The salesman was floored. To boot, we didn't even drive the car home from the dealer for a month! The dealer put it in a covered storage area and it sat there for a month as my wife didn't even want to drive it. I remember when I went back there to purchase my E55 and the salesman and I were talking about it. The thing is, a week before she bought the car, we drove by there and were looking at cars and a salesman only said hello to us and didn't even bother helping us. Had he helped us that day, my wife would have bought the car from him and he would have gotten a second sale for my E55. I saw him from time to time and he would barely look at me.

I also know people that drive Bentleys and live in 5million dollar homes that are flat *** broke! I'm talking second mortgages on their house, refinancing their car payment to seven years, barely any food in the house, and having the AC set at 78, money coming out of their savings account instead of going in broke... Just because they are driving a nice car doesn't mean they can afford it... Yes, I own two Mercedes (well, actually, my wife just traded her C300 in for a Kia Sorento SX of all things, that is the car she wanted... she could have gotten a GL but didn't want it) and a Bentley Continental SuperSports. I live in a house that I can truly afford and I put money in the bank each and every month, and I'm not talking about a hundred dollars.. Over 5,000 in the bank each and every month. Sure, I could go out and buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini... But I would rather have the money in my savings account than going towards a material possession...

If your boss looks down on you because you drive a nicer vehicle than him, that is his problem not yours! If he wants to drive a MB maybe the question he should be asking is, what do I have to do to be able to drive that?!

Everybody's situation is different and to judge someone by the vehicle they drive is just plain vain, stupid and shallow...
Well said, and fixed the last sentence.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Infiniti
just wait till your ball joints are squeeking really bad and drive through the parking lot and everyone will think its a hunk of ****.

Bahaha, so thats what the hell that sound is... I'm a noob and was wondering what the heck has been squeaking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Too flashy for the workplace?