W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with Methanol Injecton...I need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Today I'll test water only....I'll see if I can dyno again ( unlikely though ).
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Also, food for thought homey, in the mustang community it is VERY common to loose HP if you dont tune for the meth, just saying. As you know each car is different, and will always yield different results. Yours might be that one that needs a slight tune adjustment to make even more POWA

Last edited by chawkins2001; 09-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Was this car dyno tuned with those 550s? they are no joke bro now Add meth to that mix

I Installed 460ccs on my car and tons of fuel was still removed, TONS!!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
I am watching this thread closely now as I have my nozzles here soon in couple of days and it is the time to decide where to put them and what size.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Was this car dyno tuned with those 550s? they are no joke bro now Add meth to that mix

I Installed 460ccs on my car and tons of fuel was still removed, TONS!!
It wasn't dyno tuned, but Jerry did load a file on my ecu for the 550's. They seem to be running perfectly! Even in the dyno the A/F ratio was good.

Today I did a few WOT runs with pure water and it felt great. It doesn't do the hiccups it would do with the meth and pulls very smooth to redline. It's 90* outside and my car would spin 2nd gear in every run I did. It could be placebo but we'll see...lol.

BTW- for those who say that larger injectors will give me gains in power....that's definitely not my case. It's exactly what I expected though and I just wanted to lower my duty cycles so I'm happy.

Last edited by GT-ER; 09-21-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by GT-ER
It wasn't dyno tuned, but Jerry did load a file on my ecu for the 550's. They seem to be running perfectly! Even in the dyno the A/F ratio was good.

Today I did a few WOT runs with pure water and it felt great. It doesn't do the hiccups it would do with the meth and pulls very smooth to redline. It's 90* outside and my car would spin 2nd gear in every run I did. It could be placebo but we'll see...lol.
I have similar problem, I can not go for dyno tune coz of time difference, my work schedual, so I usually do DYNO then send the sheet to Jeremy and I get a tune, then DYNO again and send the sheet, now I will make another DYNO once I changed the nozzle location and send the sheet for the tune.

The car is still rich even without the W/M 50/50 I have 550 CC injectors too.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro

BTW- for those who say that larger injectors will give me gains in power....that's definitely not my case. It's exactly what I expected though and I just wanted to lower my duty cycles so I'm happy.
Well that being said, just get a logger ASAP and do street logs to see where shes really at..Would sell you mine with wideband and all but the P-car might see a tune sometime next year so i'll keep that.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Well that being said, just get a logger ASAP and do street logs to see where shes really at..Would sell you mine with wideband and all but the P-car might see a tune sometime next year so i'll keep that.
LOL...yup...the P car needs love too.

I hate having a freaking scanner that doesn't work when I need it. It's the second time my autoenginuity scanner dies on me. At least they have excellent customer service and the first time replaced with no questions asked. Let's see what happens this time.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Meth is like putting race fuel in. The only way to take advantage of that is to re-tune for it. I put 550cc injectors in over winter and my first dyno run the a/f never got above 10.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Methanol is going to rasie the octane level. So what you need to do is have a file made just for meth. You can add some timing without the fear of knock due to the raised octane level which wil in turn produce some rwhp
But be careful if you run that file and the meth system fails or doesnot work the added timing will toast the motor within seconds of a WOT run.
You can also just spray water to keeps the IATs in check.
Make sure you have a knock detection sensor in place when the car is on the dyno.
Food for though : Usually the methanol distribution is also not equal on all the cylinders
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by skratch77
That gti dyno shows exactly what im saying its higher numbers under the curve becasue the drum is spinning faster threw the more agressive gear.

you are making more power everywhere and hit the same peak power.

I have the dyno of my stock car making 66x torque when we did a second gear run.the drum accelerated insanly fast and thats what the thing registered.

we cant compare our top ends this way to see drop off power.

im using 4th gear and seting up the dyno to read rpms

yours is in 3rd with no rpm signal and using roller speed
rpms or mph at the bottom of the graph is just something they can change in the computer after the run is done. When I ran on a dynojet they gave me a printout with mph at the bottom first and then I asked for it in rpm instead so he punched a few buttons and gave me the same thing with rpm instead. I have no idea why they would even use mph at the bottom but I have seen a lot of dynojet graphs like that. I guess if they have a problem with rpms signal than they would print mph instead but in my case they could give me either and I have seen others switch the bottom key to rpm from mph using the dynojet Winpep program with dyno files they were sent.

And one thing I noticed is the a/f on that graph immediately goes rich right from the start and if the meth is supposed to turn on at 10psi then it shouldn't even be spraying yet due to the boost being progressive with rpm of the motor on a supercharger. I don't know where 10psi is reached with a 180mm pulley since I don't have a scanner but if someone does know and it is actually at say 3500rpm or 4000 and not right off the bat at 2500 that would point to a problem elsewhere too.

Last edited by urbamworm; 09-21-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
And one thing I noticed is the a/f on that graph immediately goes rich right from the start and if the meth is supposed to turn on at 10psi then it shouldn't even be spraying yet due to the boost being progressive with rpm of the motor on a supercharger. I don't know where 10psi is reached with a 180mm pulley since I don't have a scanner but if someone does know and it is actually at say 3500rpm and not right off the bat at 2500 that would point to a problem elsewhere too.
Remember, we have screw type superchargers. We can build 10psi of boost right off idle. Centrifugal superchargers build exponentially boost as rpms go up but our cars don't...at least just barely anyways.

Here is a previous log I made:

While the lowest WOT reading is 4100rpm ( the 3500rpm reading is still part throttle ) it already has 13.4psi at 4100rpm. This is why our cars have such monstrous low end torque...because we can make so much boost down low ( I've seen 12psi and higher even at 2500rpm ).
Old 09-21-2011, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, didn't even think about that. Almost would think some kind of progressive system that can be controlled by rpm or maybe higher duty cycle of the injector at higher rpms would be better since spraying so much at low rpm is to much for the engine to handle.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
I think it's a combination of lower IAT's telling the ECU to dump more fuel due to denser air coming in ( which isn't true ) and the meth burning even richer. Maybe the people with meth tune their vehicles for it...hmmmm.
when i first installed meth on my s4 i was told by a few audi tuners (vast and epl) that i had to get a tune and advance the timing (like 7-8 degrees i think it was) in order take advantage of the octane boosting properties of the meth and see any HP pickup and to not run rich ... so i got a VAST tune for meth when i installed mine and saw a nice pick up in hp...

from what i understand the meth tune is very similar to like a 100 oct tune... at least in the B5 s4's

fwiw,one guy i know that installed the devils own kit on his s4 with no tune said he was bogging down at WOT and stuttering so he turned it off till he could get a tune for it and once he got tuned it was fine (although that could be numerous reasons it went away, just seems related)

Last edited by gaspam; 09-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Remember, we have screw type superchargers. We can build 10psi of boost right off idle. Centrifugal superchargers build exponentially boost as rpms go up but our cars don't...at least just barely anyways.

While the lowest WOT reading is 4100rpm ( the 3500rpm reading is still part throttle ) it already has 13.4psi at 4100rpm. This is why our cars have such monstrous low end torque...because we can make so much boost down low ( I've seen 12psi and higher even at 2500rpm ).
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Yeah, didn't even think about that. Almost would think some kind of progressive system that can be controlled by rpm or maybe higher duty cycle of the injector at higher rpms would be better since spraying so much at low rpm is to much for the engine to handle.
Exactly

When I had my whipple on my stang, I wouold see almost 10 psi at 1500 RPM.

The problem was/is with ANY positve displacement blower, is how to control timing or meth preoperly.

When I used a boost retard, it would take away timing as soon as it would see boost. Not a good thing, as you will never spark rattle below 3000rpm. Atleast you shouldn't unless you have other issues.

You guys are seeing the same thing with the meth. Instant boost, means instant dump of meth/water.

What is needed is a progressive unit based on rpm, NOT boost, as you will always have instant near constant boost. They still have NEVER made this unit for the ignition timing. And I honestly do not know if they make it for Meth

Bottom line, you need progessively MORE meth as you build rpm, and you shouldn't need any below 3000rpm.

Good luck guys
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55

hey what logger is this from?my ebay scan tool is dead and looking for something like this.is it a laptop with software or a hand held tool?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
hey what logger is this from?my ebay scan tool is dead and looking for something like this.is it a laptop with software or a hand held tool?
Autoenginuity. It's a great product that has proven kind of unreliable ( it's broken twice ). Their customer service is fantastic though and they fix my problems always.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Autoenginuity. It's a great product that has proven kind of unreliable ( it's broken twice ). Their customer service is fantastic though and they fix my problems always.
there made cheap in china,iv had 2 ebay scan tool just die on me
Old 09-21-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
there made cheap in china,iv had 2 ebay scan tool just die on me
Isn't everything? LOL.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I did not read everyones post so I hope this is not redundant. There is power to be made with meth, that being said I'm not looking to make power with it. I use it to keep my IAT's in check and it seems to keep my timing happy. With my giant pulley my car makes back to back real world power on the street. The issue I have with leaning the car out and making more power with it is that if you have a water/meth failure your cars going to go stupid lean and its going to cost you big.
If pure and simple dyno/ track numbers are what your looking for than run it lean, most of the other brand cars that use it this way usually tune for high 12 low 13's afrs for peak power.

My car is by no means refined and I use a very basic system. there's more in it for sure. I simply lack the funds and resource's to get every last bit out of it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I did not read everyones post so I hope this is not redundant. There is power to be made with meth, that being said I'm not looking to make power with it. I use it to keep my IAT's in check and it seems to keep my timing happy. With my giant pulley my car makes back to back real world power on the street. The issue I have with leaning the car out and making more power with it is that if you have a water/meth failure your cars going to go stupid lean and its going to cost you big.
If pure and simple dyno/ track numbers are what your looking for than run it lean, most of the other brand cars that use it this way usually tune for high 12 low 13's afrs for peak power.

My car is by no means refined and I use a very basic system. there's more in it for sure. I simply lack the funds and resource's to get every last bit out of it.
I want it for the same reasons...but I LOST huge power with it. I'm running pure water now and it feels perfectly fine ( no more surging or bucking ) but it makes me wonder if I'm losing power.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
I want it for the same reasons...but I LOST huge power with it. I'm running pure water now and it feels perfectly fine ( no more surging or bucking ) but it makes me wonder if I'm losing power.
this maybe a stupid question as i am not sure of the wiring on your meth setup kit but i assume it uses a MAP sensor tap - did you check connection on that, because when i first installed my kit on my s4 it was bucking and stuttering as soon as the meth came on with the boost and it was because the crappy quick tap fittings werent making a good connection on the MAP sensor wire...

once i removed the quick tap and soldered the map wire from kit to map sensor wire on the car the bucking and stuttering went away.

but then again different platform so i am not sure if your kit or wiring is the same
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Map sensor wire? A map sensor kit should have a vacuum hose tapped in to a source of boost/vacuum and then hook to the controller and the controller simply have a power and ground wire to it. Never heard of splicing in to a wire on the map sensor, that sounds more like a maf based kit.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Nope...mine has a separate boost switch exclusively used by the water/meth injection system.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Do you guys think its okay to just spary water into the tb to cool temps?I had a meth kit and sold it becasue I knew it wasnt going to just be that simple and needed to be tweaked to run right.

I might go this route angain but just spray mist into the blower just to lower its temps.

Is there any reason not to do this?it was the meth that ate the coating on the blower right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those with Methanol Injecton...I need help!