W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with Methanol Injecton...I need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Map sensor wire? A map sensor kit should have a vacuum hose tapped in to a source of boost/vacuum and then hook to the controller and the controller simply have a power and ground wire to it. Never heard of splicing in to a wire on the map sensor, that sounds more like a maf based kit.
the VAST/devils own kits for the b5 s4 used a map sensor tap as opposed to tee'ing into the boost line... the map sensor tap was on top of the y-pipe

a few guys on the zine, including me, had problems with the quick tap connectors and were getting inconsistent map sensor readings and consequently poor performance, bucking surging etc... soldering a sold connection seemed to cure this for all...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
That is weird they did it differently, don't see why you wouldn't just tap in to the vacuum line like everything else out there.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
i am not sure why either other than maybe it would just add another place for s4 to have a boost leak in the notorious spider system but the map sensor was good once it was soldered..

maybe vast new how problematic boost leaks were in the b5 s4 and though there would be times when they would get a inconsistent reading from the boost line tap if a leak appeared in some other part of the pvc system along the way
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
Do you guys think its okay to just spary water into the tb to cool temps?I had a meth kit and sold it becasue I knew it wasnt going to just be that simple and needed to be tweaked to run right.

I might go this route angain but just spray mist into the blower just to lower its temps.

Is there any reason not to do this?it was the meth that ate the coating on the blower right?
I regret not doing this actually.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Its not hard to just tap into the y pipe bro,give it a shot and report back if it drops temps.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only thing I am scared about spraying in to the throttle body is I have had meth injection in my Audi since late 2006 or early 2007. My stock throttle body stopped working and then was replaced by a used one that lasted a while then was replaced again. I then upgraded to a larger throttle body after doing extensive mods to the car and that eventually stopped working and had to replace it as well. I almost always spray washer fluid in my system so not a ton of meth (I would say around 35% meth). But for some reason it seems like the injection would cause the throttle bodies to go bad for some reason and I would dread having to keep buying the throttle bodies that are used in these cars. I can get a 70mm throttle body which is what I use in my A4 (10mm larger than stock) for less than $100 so it isn't a big dent in the wallet if it happens, but I personally would stay away from spraying pre throttle body from my experience with my other car.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
The only thing I am scared about spraying in to the throttle body is I have had meth injection in my Audi since late 2006 or early 2007. My stock throttle body stopped working and then was replaced by a used one that lasted a while then was replaced again. I then upgraded to a larger throttle body after doing extensive mods to the car and that eventually stopped working and had to replace it as well. I almost always spray washer fluid in my system so not a ton of meth (I would say around 35% meth). But for some reason it seems like the injection would cause the throttle bodies to go bad for some reason and I would dread having to keep buying the throttle bodies that are used in these cars. I can get a 70mm throttle body which is what I use in my A4 (10mm larger than stock) for less than $100 so it isn't a big dent in the wallet if it happens, but I personally would stay away from spraying pre throttle body from my experience with my other car.
If done right the water wont touch any electronics though.Maybe you just had a string of bad luck with the audi tbs.

we can find stock 74mm tbs on ebay for cheap,Iv seen them go for 100 bucks.

worst case you can spray right into the inlet since there are a few plugged holes on it.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No other people have had them go bad too who use meth not just me. Tapping in to the inlet sounds like a much better idea to me.

And as for the stock 74mm throttle body, that is ok for people with stock throttle body but I was meaning for the bigger throttle body guys (I have "80mm" (actually 78mm inside from my measurement) one from SL55).
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Bruce from TTM made the point in another thread that his best experience was a #3 jet before the TB and a #7 jet before the intercooler. I think this is sneakyneon's setup as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
This is what the KING told me about his setup, and I saw him repeat it in some thread, so I dont think he would mind me posting it here:

This is exactly how my car is setup. I used the windshield washer reservoir for the meth, Dashdaq with Zeitronix to trigger it, and a solenoid along with a check valve for added flooding protection (http://www.devilsowninjection.com/en/water-injection-parts/17-solenoid.html). I went with a single nozzle and a10 gph with a 200 psi pump. The rating on the nozzle was at 150 psi which put me around 14 gph with a 200 psi pump. My ultimate goal was to achieve IAT's under 80 at WOT through 140 mph, it was successful.
I actually use the Dashdaq to trigger my switch and not the standard boost switch. I have several parameter that need to be met in order for the meth pump to kick on. IIRC it is set to 85% throttle position and 8 pounds of boost. I also have both a check valve and solenoid to add extra protection against flooding out my engine ( Devils Own http://www.alcohol-injection.com/solenoid-17.html ). My check valve is next to the nozzle with my solenoid in-line and installed in the engine bay next to the in cabin air filter.
I installed the nozzle post intercooler and 8 inches in front of the IAT sensor.

Bassn_07 FTW

You will have to ask Dane (Bramage) if it is ok for me to post how his tune is setup for meth. I have it documented but will not post anything without his consent.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 09-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by GT-ER
This is how I have mine now, You can feel the top of the SC much cooler with just a #3 pre TB
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 PM

2005 corvette
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
You will have to ask Dane (Bramage) if it is ok for me to post how his tune is setup for meth. I have it documented but will not post anything without his consent.
I don't understand what it is with you MB guys and being so secretive with break through tuning methods. I can see it if you are selling the idea for a profit or offering the tune for a price. But it seems like non vendors/sponsors are keeping all these ideas for themselves.

Why even participate on the open forums in the first place?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
the car definitely needs tuning for meth. when i installed meth in my supra, i had to take out fuel pretty much across the board as soon as boost came on. the whole point of meth is so that you can run higher boost and advance the timing = make more power. unfortunately on supercharged cars you cant turn up the boost without changing the pulley... so you can go with a 200++mm pulley and meth with proper tuning, but you have to run meth ALWAYS... if you dont wanna do that, you cant run as much boost, so you go with a smaller pulley and two separate maps, one for meth and one without... but you wont make nearly as much power by just tuning...
like others have said, meth increases octane rating, so you can run more boost without detonation
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is pretty crazy how the injection works, the intake manifold on my Audi would get pretty hot just from heat transfering from the head along with the intake temps going through it. Obviously nothing like the supercharger but you couldn't hold your hand on it still it would be that hot and with the meth injection going it is cold after dyno runs like the car hadn't even been running.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Bicycle
Looking at your afrs, you look like you have some room for improvement, I'd say you need to lean it out OFF the meth, get that section thats around mid 11 afrs and get that to mid 12's and you will see some power come back when on the meth, and off. Its still going to be 11.0 afrs on the water/meth but not to lean if you have a failure.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
the way i had it done on my supra, i had a fail safe which would open the wastegate if there were any issues with meth, whether i ran out of fluid or flow was interrupted, the car would immediately dump boost and save the motor.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by apsgto
I don't understand what it is with you MB guys and being so secretive with break through tuning methods. I can see it if you are selling the idea for a profit or offering the tune for a price. But it seems like non vendors/sponsors are keeping all these ideas for themselves.

Why even participate on the open forums in the first place?
Probably because they don't want the "tuners" to have the idea to then sell stuff to people and often times for a pretty penny with the AMG tax that gets included.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
This is what the KING told me about his setup, and I saw him repeat it in some thread, so I dont think he would mind me posting it here:

This is exactly how my car is setup. I used the windshield washer reservoir for the meth, Dashdaq with Zeitronix to trigger it, and a solenoid along with a check valve for added flooding protection (http://www.devilsowninjection.com/en/water-injection-parts/17-solenoid.html). I went with a single nozzle and a10 gph with a 200 psi pump. The rating on the nozzle was at 150 psi which put me around 14 gph with a 200 psi pump. My ultimate goal was to achieve IAT's under 80 at WOT through 140 mph, it was successful.
I actually use the Dashdaq to trigger my switch and not the standard boost switch. I have several parameter that need to be met in order for the meth pump to kick on. IIRC it is set to 85% throttle position and 8 pounds of boost. I also have both a check valve and solenoid to add extra protection against flooding out my engine ( Devils Own http://www.alcohol-injection.com/solenoid-17.html ). My check valve is next to the nozzle with my solenoid in-line and installed in the engine bay next to the in cabin air filter.
I installed the nozzle post intercooler and 8 inches in front of the IAT sensor.

Bassn_07 FTW

Allan's set up is killer and works very very well. Its well thought out and is effective, that with the killer chiller on his car is a combo that is just amazing
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM

2005 corvette
Probably because they don't want the "tuners" to have the idea to then sell stuff to people and often times for a pretty penny with the AMG tax that gets included.
So does bramage know how to set up the IAT fail safe or just how to tune for the meth?

BTW, it wouldn't be worth anything to the tuner if everybody knew how to do it.

Last edited by apsgto; 09-22-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
GT-ER how is the water injection? any results?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM

03 Silver E55
This seems like the most appropriate place for this.

Has anyone tried adding Nitromethane to their meth mixture? It is supposed to help maintain afrs when spraying so you don't need a retune (assuming your ratios are correct). This way you are taking in more fuel and oxygen to get the most bang.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by apsgto
So does bramage know how to set up the IAT fail safe or just how to tune for the meth?

BTW, it wouldn't be worth anything to the tuner if everybody knew how to do it.
I did not post it because it is up to him, and his tuner, if they want the public to see certain parameters of the tune.