Sponsored by:

ECU Tune and warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
ECU Tune and warranty?

If I had my ECU tuned for enhanced engine performance, would Mercedes know that it was re-programmed/flashed? If so, would it void any warranties?

I'm interested in an ECU tune but concerned about the affects of my CPO and 3rd party warranty thereafter.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Great question. See my sig for mods. I have an extended warranty and I take my car to the dealer for all repairs/issues but have local tuners do all the mod install.

I've had quite a few repairs done to my car for regular maitenance, and my extended warranty has covered every penny.

The trick is getting in good with the dealer first, talking to the service manager, etc. The MB dealer I go to, turns a bit of a, "Blind eye" to my mods and when the extended warranty guys come out (and adjuster basically) to approve the repairs, they don't way a word about my mods.

I even tape a piece of paper to the dash when I drop it off saying, "Please don't reflash the ECU!" and the dealer hides the paper when the extended warranty folks come out.

So it's a bit tricky, so I'd recommend you chatting with the local MB dealer first to see how, "Mod friendly" they are.

Because if they rat you out to the extended warranty folks, you could be in trouble when it somes to coverage.

My $.02.

Alex
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I guess it is akin to bribery, but I have done the same as alex. I developed a relationship with one SA at the dealership. I tipped him often ($50 or $100) and then told him about my mods. He caught on quick and would say stuff like "I will make sure they don't mess with your tune." He took really good care of me. The return on the small investment in tips was tenfold. I also felt more comfortable knowing my baby was well cared for.