W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTE or Kleeman cams?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
PTE or Kleeman cams?

Which one and why? Anyone with dyno info on the cams? Average HP across the band go up or just peak? Idle or tunning issues? Codes? 1/4 mile times increase or decrease?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
There is a member on here selling cams UR NEXT I believe is his nick on here. He has new cams for sale if they are not sold yet.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
I read all about the PTE cams and I hear from alot of folks here that it's just TOO lumpy and uncomfortable for daily driving. As for power difference, I would also like to see the difference before and after on the same car on the same day or at least same dyno with same weather conditions.

This still might be last mod since I have Kleemann cams in my car. Only Betreza has said it was not too lumpy. Allmost all the OEM 55k guys either complain about the idling or trying to sell them.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
+1 PTE, been running them for awhile
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
There is a member on here selling cams UR NEXT I believe is his nick on here. He has new cams for sale if they are not sold yet.
Thanks, I saw those.

Originally Posted by AMGSC
I read all about the PTE cams and I hear from alot of folks here that it's just TOO lumpy and uncomfortable for daily driving. As for power difference, I would also like to see the difference before and after on the same car on the same day or at least same dyno with same weather conditions.

This still might be last mod since I have Kleemann cams in my car. Only Betreza has said it was not too lumpy. Allmost all the OEM 55k guys either complain about the idling or trying to sell them.
I hear you bro! Lets work together and find info!

Originally Posted by Craigo
+1 PTE, been running them for awhile
Great to hear! You have any codes, idle issues or other info to show power gains? Have you ran at the track yet? Just looking for as many details as possible, and it is cool if you don`t have the info , just asking.

I was hoping PTE would just send me a set to go with my heads, track times, mile times and dyno testing.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Exotic-Metal cams...Boom
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55, Supra, CTS-V
I have a set of Kleemans that Im going to throw in as soon as my car arrives from shipping. SHould be here in a week or so. Ill post my opinions asap.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
chiromikey is selling his SLR cams!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stage 3 63
Hey

I got kleemann good high rpm power

Acid
Old 09-12-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I spoke to a very reliable source about the three cams mentioned here and are as follows from least aggressive to most aggressive: slr ; kleeman; pte. In terms of power the slr and kleemans are very close with 15-20rwhp in the upper range can be expected. Noticeable increase in lope in kleeman and pte.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
PTE.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i've "heard" the pte's make the most power but never seen any actual proof...which is weird considering how many people have tried them. unfortunately, they also seem to have a lot of drivability issues. i also remember seeing back in the day that the kleemann's made similar hp to the slr's but changed idle characteristics a bit. i posted some dyno and track info on the slr's years ago so it's around here somewhere but most people were averaging 15-20hp above 3k rpms and i dropped a tenth in the 1/4mile. the slr's have zero idle or drivability issues but needed a tiny bit of prep to fit properly.

Last edited by chiromikey; 09-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I would pm betreza, he's located in Katy. He's running pte cams in his Kleeman clk55.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loudandheard
I would pm betreza, he's located in Katy. He's running pte cams in his Kleeman clk55.
it might be hard to draw a fair conclusion comparing the behavior between two different motors...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
it might be hard to draw a fair conclusion comparing the behavior between two different motors...
The motor is an m113, it's essentially the same engine with higher compression. I think the major difference is the supercharger and maybe the pistons, other than that, it's the same engine. His car has a kleeman supercharger, so it should be fairly similar.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loudandheard
The motor is an m113, it's essentially the same engine with higher compression. I think the major difference is the supercharger and maybe the pistons, other than that, it's the same engine. His car has a kleeman supercharger, so it should be fairly similar.
i do agree that it's the same basic block assembly but there are enough differences just to accomodate the s/c and compression you cited that one has to conclude they're not the same motor ...ie the heads, valves, pistons, maf vs map...well you get the idea. i think it's less of a stretch to say the e55 has the same motor as the slr and we know that's simply not the case.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
i do agree that it's the same basic block assembly but there are enough differences just to accomodate the s/c and compression you cited that one has to conclude they're not the same motor ...ie the heads, valves, pistons, maf vs map...well you get the idea. i think it's less of a stretch to say the e55 has the same motor as the slr and we know that's simply not the case.
Good point.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
cams

I've got Kleemann's and all I can say is the power and pull in med-range and top end is unreal. I've spinned the tires and fish tailed and 60mph plus ,.. big torgue ... Badm
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by badm
I've got Kleemann's and all I can say is the power and pull in med-range and top end is unreal. I've spinned the tires and fish tailed and 60mph plus ,.. big torgue ... Badm

Woah, really, hmm
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
i've "heard" the pte's make the most power but never seen any actual proof...which is weird considering how many people have tried them. unfortunately, they also seem to have a lot of drivability issues. i also remember seeing back in the day that the kleemann's made similar hp to the slr's but changed idle characteristics a bit. i posted some dyno and track info on the slr's years ago so it's around here somewhere but most people were averaging 15-20hp above 3k rpms and i dropped a tenth in the 1/4mile. the slr's have zero idle or drivability issues but needed a tiny bit of prep to fit properly.
Thanks for the cam honesty. Been while but it seemed the SLR cam specs compared to our stock cam specs, did not show to be larger on the intake side. I recall, it seemed to have less intake duration than ours and favored the exhaust event more. That would back up the engine having better heads, more boost and other intake goodies. Maybe on degree less lobe seperation.

The specs are posted on this forum somewhere.

Hey Jake, why do you want me to run SLR`s and go slower-maybe?

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Thanks for the cam honesty. Been while but it seemed the SLR cam specs compared to our stock cam specs, did not show to be larger on the intake side. I recall, it seemed to have less intake duration than ours and favored the exhaust event more. That would back up the engine having better heads, more boost and other intake goodies. Maybe on degree less lobe seperation.

it has been a while and you're right, the only differences i can recall were with duration...and i agree with your additional conclusions/assumptions. but do you not recognize that you've addressed all these differences? either way, even with only a 178mm pulley, 78mm tb, ff headers, and k&n filters i still gained a tenth in the 1/4mile and showed gains on the dyno.

btw, i'm not trying to push mine on you at all as i think i've decided to put these in my new motor. just want to assure you that slr cams will not make you run slower!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

possible lol

na its just from what I have been seeing, there are a ton of people having issues with them (cams) and seem like more of a hassle then what its worth..
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
it has been a while and you're right, the only differences i can recall were with duration...and i agree with your additional conclusions/assumptions. but do you not recognize that you've addressed all these differences? either way, even with only a 178mm pulley, 78mm tb, ff headers, and k&n filters i still gained a tenth in the 1/4mile and showed gains on the dyno.

btw, i'm not trying to push mine on you at all as i think i've decided to put these in my new motor. just want to assure you that slr cams will not make you run slower!
My bad, I read that you lost a 10th. I assume the power scale would increase with larger pulley (AKA 200mm and ported heads) with the cams.

Still don`t understand why most these cams have idle and lope issues, they are just to small. Must be LSA or how they are degreed. I started to have my heads ground out to allow me to have custom larger cams made to my specs but then passed due to time.

Ok , found the thread with cam specs. https://mbworld.org/forums/3004898-post33.html

Really hard to tell why the SLR cam makes more power but it is the little things that must work. Tighter LSA, diffferent advance and maybe more Exh. help for high end flow.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 09-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nice find...i haven't seen that in a while! when making some general measurements after finally getting my hands on a set of slr's back then, i remember being pretty disappointed that the cams were not significantly different but after the cash outlay i went ahead with the install. before i got them i was thinking old chevy days and expecting 50hp. after getting them i was praying i didn't have two new paper weights! so seeing the results on the dyno and the track were very pleasing and even more so after seeing all the drivability issues other cams later had.

My bad, I read that you lost a 10th. I assume the power scale would increase with larger pulley (AKA 200mm and ported heads) with the cams.

Still don`t understand why most these cams have idle and lope issues, they are just to small. Must be LSA or how they are degreed. I started to have my heads ground out to allow me to have custom larger cams made to my specs but then passed due to time.

Ok , found the thread with cam specs. https://mbworld.org/forums/3004898-post33.html

Really hard to tell why the SLR cam makes more power but it is the little things that must work. Tighter LSA, diffferent advance and maybe more Exh. help for high end flow.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I went with MHP cams witch have slightly higher lift then PTE cams, I'm taking it down to be tuned in a few weeks so I'm not sure how the gains will be compared to stock. Once I get it dynoed I'll post up the sheet and hopefully the cams are worth it Unfortunately I'm doing so many other things I won't be able to tell what difference the cams made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PTE or Kleeman cams?