Sponsored by:

E55 cranking but not starting, ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG / Gallardo
E55 cranking but not starting, ideas?

Ok, first off, I have done a little troubleshooting so it's not a super broad thread lol. It does not appear to be the crankshaft position sensor. Here is the story--left the car parked outside for the weekend at a friends while out of town. Come back, the car cranks right up and drive 25 miles to my house just fine. I come back out of the house to leave 30 mins later and the car just turns over but never fires up.
I pulled the cap off the shrader valve, no pressure/fuel comes out when I push that. I removed the rear seat and don't see anything wrong with the wiring or anything so far. If there is anything to inspect closer, please let me know. The main thing is, I can't hear the fuel pump(s) priming. So, they appear to be getting no power or are dead themselves. I didn't have a voltmeter handy but am going back to my house at lunch to put one to it. The #4 fuse in the rear looks fine, so I'm hoping it's just the fuel pump relay. I've been told that's the "A" relay next to the fuse. This is a 2003 E55 btw.

So, getting no fuel, can't hear the pumps. If anyone has any suggestions of anything else to look for when I go back at lunch, please let me know. Right now, I just plan to test that relay and see if the pumps are getting power.
Any help is appreciated...

edit: there have been no symptoms before this. It just came out of nowhere. The only thing the car has been doing for the past month or two is a little surging at lower rpm that eventually clears itself up but seemed to be more related to the supercharger clutch in my opinion. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
I had this issue once. Car has power, wants to start, just not getting fuel.

Ended up with new fuel sending unit.

This isn't something you want to try to fix yourself. Have it towed to the dealer. There was a recall on the fuel sender...has yours been done?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
I will check into that. What does that actually do? I would think it just tells the car it has fuel, no? I should mention, all guages work correctly, show the right fuel, no check engine light/codes.

Is there a fuel shutoff of some sort on these cars anywhere? Don't know why it would be triggered, but it's worth a check. What about a "tow away" mode or something accidentally activated, do these cars have that? I just want to rule out the simple stuff 1st. Thanks again guys!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
Just as an update, I did some testing and found that the fuel pump wasn't priming/coming on in either section of the tank. So after checking fuses and relays, I finally pulled the passenger side trunk lining out and found a melted relay socket and bad relay. So, I will be sourcing those two items and should be back in business.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
How much did it cost to do this? I think I am having the same problem. I was driving and all of a sudden the car stopped even though I was pressing the gas pedal. When I tried to start it wouldn't work...although it tried to. How much is the fuel sending unit/fuel pump?