Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else read this?? New Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94/95 Supra,07 E63 AMG
When I think of "USED" SRT8 Vehicles all I think is a cheap vehicle I can mod and make pretty fast.Otherwise I wouldnt think of it as classy and fast like the AMG's are.But thats my 2 cents.
I see guys buying up SRT8 vehicles at auction cheap and then modding them to hell and they got 1 Quick Brick.I think it is all what the would be buyers plans are when choosing this new SRT8 or the used AMG.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
I am dealing with a similar situation since i got my new car, people telling me i should've gotten a GT-R

As we all know the 997 turbos were/are/will be compared to the Nissan GTR. And we all know the GTR has had the edge on some off the tests and is indeed Faster if tinkered right, for 30-40k less Well lets say i went with the depreciated item for the same reason a lot of people would go for that E63 in this article
If price weren't an issue, I'd go with the Porsche all day long. What it gives up in performance, it more than makes up for in exclusivity, interior build quality, aesthetics (IMO) and cache. Porsche is the quintissential driver's car!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BK63amg
If price weren't an issue, I'd go with the Porsche all day long. What it gives up in performance, it more than makes up for in exclusivity, interior build quality, aesthetics (IMO) and cache. Porsche is the quintissential driver's car!
funny you mention that because I've kind of been daydreaming about one

edit: upon visiting website these may be out of my range new....lol....WOW!

Last edited by hyperion667; 10-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I just read it. C&D are out of their minds. There is know way if I'm dropping $50K an SRT-8 would be on my list. The only thing a Charger is good for is an airport rental.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I just read it. C&D are out of their minds. There is know way if I'm dropping $50K an SRT-8 would be on my list. The only thing a Charger is good for is an airport rental.
C&D will do anything to take a dump on an AMG. They've been bought and paid for by BMW for decades.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
C&D will do anything to take a dump on an AMG. They've been bought and paid for by BMW for decades.
+1 You are not kidding.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

According to C&D

Charger SRT8 = 13.1 1/4 mile (BTW thats the same as stock C55 w/360hp)
E63 = 12.6 1/4 mile.

I think we all know what a 1/2 a second looks like in a 1/4 mile race.

There is no doubt America makes some awesome engines, But they have poor designers when it comes to making a car look pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 10-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
According to C&D

E63 = 12.6 1/4 mile.

There is no doubt America makes some awesome engines, But they have poor designers when it comes to making a car look pleasing to the eye.
yeah, I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a good looking american car.

my god are you people all this delirious?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
And the price quoted seems about $5-$10k too high. I would imagine you could get a 2008 now for the low 40s.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Oliverk

Almost everything that looks half way good looking. Is a remake of something from yesteryear. When designers had original ideas. Except a lot of these cars with retro styling are bulky looking and filled with plastic. If we are talking 4 doors, than whats out there that preforms and looks great? The CTS-V? I like that car, I even think it looks Ok. However I can totally understand why someone would not like the way that car looks.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone

I've seen many, many beautiful American cars. I do not count the new-generation Charger among them.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM

The only way anyone would buy a dodge over amg is if they forgot to take their meds. Charger is ugly, slow, and has rental car interior quality.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I've seen many, many beautiful American cars. I do not count the new-generation Charger among them.
Agreed. I seen beautiful cars from America, Europe & Asia alike.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM

2005 E55 amg
You can disagree with his review but to assume that the editor is bashing it because he can't afford one is a pretty presumptious and ignorant statement.

I think it is equally ignorant to call the Charger another piece of American crap. While that might be your opinion, the automotive industry as a whole has hailed the American Big 3 for the strides they've made in the past three years. This improvement has also been reflected in the steadily increasing sales of American cars. I think credit should be given where credit is due.

With that said, I wouldn't pay $50K for a Dodge but if I do think the SRT cars are fantastic performance bargains when purchased CPO'd.
Ya well his whole article is pretty ignorant. Just because he wrote 3 more pages of crap doesn't justify it any more than my ignorant "one liner" statement attacking his personal finances and life style. I just wasted lest time

Please allow me to retract my statement and lay out what I should of wrote.

I'm personally offended that he is comparing a 90k car to a 50k car. The whole reason I paid more money for my car is because you get what you pay for. I'm tired of seeing these articles where these editors are trying to compare something thats half the price and trying to say its just as nice when its just plain not. That right there is basically them saying we are all a$$holes for overpaying for a used car not even as nice as their "brand new" 2012 srt-8 charger.

I also think thats pretty shady to compare a 2012 car with a car thats 4yrs old. Nice to know that american cars are just now catching up with some of the technology thats been around for 4yrs now.

How about comparing it to the 2012 E63? Leave my "old, outdated, almost as good as a 2012 dodge srt-8" car out of it

Last edited by SvtAmg; 10-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
agreed, i don't like the charger either.

Originally Posted by SvtAmg
I'm personally offended that he is comparing a 90k car to a 50k car. The whole reason I paid more money for my car is because you get what you pay for. I'm tired of seeing these articles where these editors are trying to compare something thats half the price and trying to say its just as nice when its just plain not. That right there is basically them saying we are all a$$holes for overpaying for a used car not even as nice as their "brand new" 2012 srt-8 charger.

I also think thats pretty shady to compare a 2012 car with a car thats 4yrs old. Nice to know that american cars are just now catching up with some of the technology thats been around for 4yrs now.

How about comparing it to the 2012 E63? Leave my "old, outdated, almost as good as a 2012 dodge srt-8" car out of it
they are comparing two pieces of metal. why in gods name does that offend you?

No one said the charger is as nice. They said its more modern and handles better (debatable).

No one is suggesting that if someone gave you the option to get a free 12 e63 or a new charger srt8 that anyone would pick the charger. But comparing a new lesser car to a depreciated used car is something that happens all the time...and it has merit. Some people want new and will pay for it. Some want newer technology over a nicer interior.

Obviously most of us here would chose the E63, but I applaud C&D for making the comparison. Even better to me would be the new Chrysler 300 SRT8. Thats a good looking car with a nicer interior than the charger and similar performanc.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: 08 E63 vs. 2012 SRT

My C&D just arrived, quickly read the article. Agree there is an element of yellow (because I can't afford one) journalism to it, which mags tend to do to Mercedes.

I also pulled out the 07 issue C&D issue when the E63 first came out and compared their comments then with the current article, several interesting contradictions although cars have certainly evolved since then.

I owned an SRT8 Jeep from 07 to 09, bought it new. It was fun, relatively fast, and offered a lot of performance for the money. I liked it when I had it, but the (cheap material) quality was in a different league. Would I get another SRT? Not likely....unless they get performence and quality up to AMG levels. IMO the SRT cars cater to a different consumer than Mercedes.

Oh and I'll just keep my E63 too, thank you very much.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM

2005 E55 amg
agreed, i don't like the charger either.

they are comparing two pieces of metal. why in gods name does that offend you?

No one said the charger is as nice. They said its more modern and handles better (debatable).

No one is suggesting that if someone gave you the option to get a free 12 e63 or a new charger srt8 that anyone would pick the charger. But comparing a new lesser car to a depreciated used car is something that happens all the time...and it has merit. Some people want new and will pay for it. Some want newer technology over a nicer interior.

Obviously most of us here would chose the E63, but I applaud C&D for making the comparison. Even better to me would be the new Chrysler 300 SRT8. Thats a good looking car with a nicer interior than the charger and similar performanc.
I explained why it comes off offensive didn't I? The editor makes it sound like for the $ we should all be buying new chargers instead of "used" amg's. And if thats not the case then why did he write a 4 page article comparing the two? Am I missing the point?

I'm glad you liked his article, btw
Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
haha, great dudes........
thanx for all the thoughts, even you OllieK, lol....

it's like comapring an apple from 2008 to an orange from 2011........
how lame, never knew bmw owned the 'zine though.....
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
You can disagree with his review but to assume that the editor is bashing it because he can't afford one is a pretty presumptious and ignorant statement.

I think it is equally ignorant to call the Charger another piece of American crap. While that might be your opinion, the automotive industry as a whole has hailed the American Big 3 for the strides they've made in the past three years. This improvement has also been reflected in the steadily increasing sales of American cars. I think credit should be given where credit is due.

With that said, I wouldn't pay $50K for a Dodge but if I do think the SRT cars are fantastic performance bargains when purchased CPO'd.
I hardly feel that the comment made about the editor bashing it because he can't afford it is a "presumptuous and ignorant statement." It is nothing more than a little humor. If you can't see it, maybe you should buy a bigger belt.. That XXL is getting a little small!

The automotive industry is hailing the American Big 3 because, thanks to the help of the government, none of them collapsed... Not because they are producing quality automobiles. The only American vehicle I would even consider right now is the Cadillac Ciel concept, but I highly doubt that will come to fruition... American car sales are going up because the Big 3 have continuously brainwashed the American citizen that buying American cars is, well, the American thing to do. People want to support the economy. Personally I feel , GM should have met its demise. I think the government bailed them out because they realized that if GM fell, Ford and Chrysler probably would have fallen as well!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
I thought the idea behind the article was an interesting one, but felt their choices for the comparison were silly. I cant fathom anyone considering a used e63 would ever buy a Dodge (esp. for $50k - ouch), nor would many potential Dodge owners buy a used MB. Made for an interesting read, and like the folks said above, I thought some of their thoughts on the e63 were fair, but others were silly. They didnt even really run the car that hard, from my take.

In the end, we're an MB crowd, so of course we all disagree with the conclusions. But, with that bias in mind, I've only found one American car with an interior that felt as nice as my MB and BMW cars - a 2011 CTS, which wasnt amazing inside, but not nearly as awful as many Vettes and other american cars seem to feel.

In the end, I think that for a 4 year old car, the e63 is still impressive against the field, and it was definitely cool to see my car on the cover of a car mag!

Last edited by lawguy; 10-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by SvtAmg
I explained why it comes off offensive didn't I? The editor makes it sound like for the $ we should all be buying new chargers instead of "used" amg's. And if thats not the case then why did he write a 4 page article comparing the two? Am I missing the point?

I'm glad you liked his article, btw
My point was that you shouldn't get offended over an articles on cars. they are just possessions.

Also, the article doesn't direct you to buy one or the other, it just presents the cases for each. Maybe they preferred the charger. maybe you don't. I don't think C&D is written to sell chargers.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
You can disagree with his review but to assume that the editor is bashing it because he can't afford one is a pretty presumptuous and ignorant statement.

+1, I can agree on that. I would not say the Charger is a piece of crap, but it does have a cheaper fit and finish than the E63. However, Mercedes has been digressing on the fit and finish of it's interiors and other quality control issues as well, even at present. There are many complaints about that on this forum and beyond.

No, I don't think the Charger is worth 50K even the new one at SRT8 level. There is way too much plastic and lower end parts throughout the car. It is what it is.

According to C&D

E63 = 12.6 1/4 mile.

+1

I would not say that either, but the new Charger looks better than the last.

My point was that you shouldn't get offended over an articles on cars. they are just possessions.

Also, the article doesn't direct you to buy one or the other, it just presents the cases for each. Maybe they preferred the charger. maybe you don't. I don't think C&D is written to sell chargers.
Exactly, the article, the opinions of C/D, the editors, or anyone for that matter are subjective. I thought it was rather odd that C/D is making comparisons of a 2012 model car to a 2008 model, I would have thought a more fair comparison would be of the same year. However, I get that C/D is comparing at a 50K "price point" so to speak.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM

C300 Sport
haha made me laugh
Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 AM

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Stay tuned for next month's issue!

The two-automobiles-with-four-wheels shootout!
1991 GMC Syclone destroys 1937 Rolls Royce Phantom III!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Yea, they are R/Ts.. Never seen an SRT8 either
I saw a confiscated cayenne the other day in a funky part of a city with an officer in it, heavy tint and other tasty custom features like 22" wheels and blue lights inside.

Appropriate use? Real depreciation!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone else read this?? New Car and Driver