W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, I almost ***** my pants! Engine smoke issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Okay, I almost ***** my pants! Engine smoke issue.

Previously...

Since forever, every few days or so, my car does a slight puff of white smoke at cold start up and it immediately goes away and drives off normally without any issues and will not do it again until a few days go by and it does it again at cold start up.

Today!

I start the car and it does the slight puff and goes away...no problem.

After about 2 minutes of driving, I'm stopped and the car starts to misfire badly as if one cylinder was dead and and a HUGE cloud of smoke came out the back. I was like...."WTF? My engine blew!!??!!??". Keep in mind I haven't even raced my engine in about 2 days, it's all been slow driving.

Well, I turn back home, still misfiring and still puffing white smoke, and get home and the misfire GOES AWAY! The cars starts to idle beautifully but it still smokes. I remove the spark plugs, which were ALL BLACK, and did a compression test. All cylinders were between 140-150. Not bad.

So after cleaning the plugs up and re-installing them, I turn the car on and drive it, still puffing smoke, and decide to do a WOT run. I romp on it and a HUGE cloud of smoke fills the street but the car pulls strong. I do another WOT run and another huge cloud comes out the back and the pulls amazingly
hard...and once I let off, to my surprise, no more smoke. I drove a good 15 minutes after that with ZERO smoke. WTF?

So... what do you guys think happened? Right now my car idles and drives fine with no smoke.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
I don't know you too well but I got to tell you I like your style. First the woodruff key repair on the crank and now when challenged with a bit of smoke, you pin the throttle. Props to you sir!
Wish I had an idea of why the white smoke. Typically is water but I read on here a bad injector caused white smoke on another members car.
Moral of your story, don't go two days without smacking it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
I don't know you too well but I got to tell you I like your style. First the woodruff key repair on the crank and now when challenged with a bit of smoke, you pin the throttle. Props to you sir!
Wish I had an idea of why the white smoke. Typically is water but I read on here a bad injector caused white smoke on another members car.
Moral of your story, don't go two days without smacking it.
LMAOOOO....I figured that if it's broken then the easiest way for me to make sure is by braking it more and making the problem more obvious.

I almost spin myself into a wall diagnosing my car. LOLLL...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
hmmm No idea, but interesting! I am curious on why would you go romp on it?

The occasional cold start smoke happened to me only if oil needed to be changed, that was my signal but never had anything like constant smoke like that.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Are you still runing that meth kit, and if so, was it on?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Previously...

Since forever, every few days or so, my car does a slight puff of white smoke at cold start up and it immediately goes away and drives off normally without any issues and will not do it again until a few days go by and it does it again at cold start up.

Today!

I start the car and it does the slight puff and goes away...no problem.

After about 2 minutes of driving, I'm stopped and the car starts to misfire badly as if one cylinder was dead and and a HUGE cloud of smoke came out the back. I was like...."WTF? My engine blew!!??!!??". Keep in mind I haven't even raced my engine in about 2 days, it's all been slow driving.

Well, I turn back home, still misfiring and still puffing white smoke, and get home and the misfire GOES AWAY! The cars starts to idle beautifully but it still smokes. I remove the spark plugs, which were ALL BLACK, and did a compression test. All cylinders were between 140-150. Not bad.

So after cleaning the plugs up and re-installing them, I turn the car on and drive it, still puffing smoke, and decide to do a WOT run. I romp on it and a HUGE cloud of smoke fills the street but the car pulls strong. I do another WOT run and another huge cloud comes out the back and the pulls amazingly
hard...and once I let off, to my surprise, no more smoke. I drove a good 15 minutes after that with ZERO smoke. WTF?

So... what do you guys think happened? Right now my car idles and drives fine with no smoke.
Take off the plenums and look for excess fuel. Sounds like an injector is stuck. I had that happen to me and had about an inch of fuel sitting on top of the valve.

What does it smell like?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
+1 on the meth Check your Nozzle/s and solenoid.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
what does the smoke smell like?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
No codes not much to go at but this sounds familiar when my MAP sensor too a ****. Swapped it out and all was well.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
The meth kit was unplugged, but I DID beat on the car considerably with it on until I just gave up on it. I haven't used it in about a week or so though.

Also, I realized that I forgot to plug in the PCV hose into the intake Y-pipe ( from the airboxes ) but I can't see how this would be a problem.

FWIW, I just turned on the car again and no smoke...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
No codes not much to go at but this sounds familiar when my MAP sensor too a ****. Swapped it out and all was well.
It only has the random multiple misfire code ( from the obvious misfire it had ) and the cylinder 6 misfire ( from the same misfire )...cylinder 6 tested out fine though.

Oh...and it smelled like something BURNT...charcoaled.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
+2

Try to turn off the meth kit for 2 days or for log driving and check, if you don't have a switch to turn on/off the meth kit then you need to get one asap.I got my switched placed right close to my knee when I drive.

It happened to me, smoke but while driving and in low rpms only, cold start? I am sorry but maybe warn piston ring make it on cold start, also damaged cylinder wall lead to that too, I am not trying to scare you, but first check your by turning off the meth kit.

We hope easy thing. Let's know what you find what.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by ahmad0658
+2

Try to turn off the meth kit for 2 days or for log driving and check, if you don't have a switch to turn on/off the meth kit then you need to get one asap.I got my switched placed right close to my knee when I drive.

It happened to me, smoke but while driving and in low rpms only, cold start? I am sorry but maybe warn piston ring make it on cold start, also damaged cylinder wall lead to that too, I am not trying to scare you, but first check your by turning off the meth kit.

Another thing to check,

Check that your injectors actually works all of them, I had one time the injector #6 goes open circuit due to damaged plug, also your coils too.

Why don't you take the car to be inspected by STAR and see each cylinder? response, for ignition, fuel, etc..
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ahmad0658
+2

It was off for the past week or so.

I also just turned the car on after about 4 hours of it be off and zero smoke. It's crazy...lol. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Is the meth kit still physically installed? Sometime the checkvalve leaks unless you have a solenoid lockout version.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Is the meth kit still physically installed? Sometime the checkvalve leaks unless you have a solenoid lockout version.
Yes, it was. I also have no solenoid. I disconnected the water line now.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Do you have a dipstick to check the oil level? Wondering if you have an over fill of oil?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
No dipstick but last time I changed my oil was months ago. My display also says it has 8.2 quarts with the engine off which is normal.

Today the car started up fine. I drove a while and zero smoke. I did a WOT run a small whisps of smoke came out but thats it...if been driving for about 30 min with no issues. Crazy huh?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
White smoke is water or antifreeze, so my bet is on meth. Stumbling could definately be map related.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Have you changed your tranny fluid recently?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt6
Intercooler leak?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
I could be way off seeing no one has mentioned this yet, but white smoke is usually coolant which would lead me to think it's a head gasket or like tunaglove said, an intercooler leak. How's your coolant level? Try running the car with the coolant reservoir cap off to see if there is any bubbling and check your oil with a dipstick to see if it's milky at all.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Coolant level is perfect as is my oil ( no milkyness to it ). Drove my car 60 miles today...it was flawless..lol. What can I say...I guess maybe it WAS the meth kit.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Glad to see nothing serious came out of this.
I would keep a close eye on it just in case.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
sounds like the meth kit to me.... when i first installed it on my supra, i had it turn on too early, so too much water would spray in before the turbo spooled. that caused the engine to misfire like crazy... it sounds like whatever fluid was left over in the lines after you turned off the meth kit leaked into the cylinders and caused the smoking issue.