Sponsored by:

Can 211 E55 be primary toy???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 02:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
Can 211 E55 be primary toy???

I have a 740il and the wife drives an ML430. I'm in the market for a toy and I'm wondering if I need to dump the 740 to enjoy the e55. What I mean is that it seems redundant to have 2 four doors even though the e55 is a beast.

So my question is this... How fun is the car to drive. Steering, body roll, exhaust note, etc. Does it satisfy like an M5 in that the M5 can double as toy and practial business car. I'm leaning toward an SL55 as a toy but I ain't too happy about the additional 35K+ which is why I like the e55.

I've had viper GTS, NSX, 993, M roadster, just to name a few. Please comment on the toyishness or lack thereof in your ownership experience with the new e55.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Raron
What I am going to say is fairly contreversial, however if you are seriously looking for a toy, buy a discounted new W210 E55 add H&R suspension and a Kleemann or Renntech supercharger.
The new E55 is more limo than toy.

I am still trying to work out how to fix it, but it is going to be a challenge because most of the issues are related to electronic systems.

Check out James F Cannons E55 posted elsewhere on this board as a great example of what I am suggesting.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:18 AM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
I can remember my dads bmw 740il (older bimmer not new one) and thats pretty fast fast for a limo...now he has a w211 e55...he says when he drives it it like driveing a luxury car normal except with this burbleing trialing from the exhasts.......but when u hammer the gas pedel....OMG thats when the front wheels try to lift off the ground....and when i drove i shat my self from all that grunt. anyhow dad uses it as his main car and he loves it

so i guess it just really up to you to test drive it.

and BTW u had a damn fine record of cars.......

viper GTS, NSX, 993, M roadster
Old 06-08-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Can 211 E55 be primary toy???

Originally posted by Raron
I have a 740il and the wife drives an ML430. I'm in the market for a toy and I'm wondering if I need to dump the 740 to enjoy the e55. What I mean is that it seems redundant to have 2 four doors even though the e55 is a beast.

So my question is this... How fun is the car to drive. Steering, body roll, exhaust note, etc. Does it satisfy like an M5 in that the M5 can double as toy and practial business car. I'm leaning toward an SL55 as a toy but I ain't too happy about the additional 35K+ which is why I like the e55.

I've had viper GTS, NSX, 993, M roadster, just to name a few. Please comment on the toyishness or lack thereof in your ownership experience with the new e55.
IMO, not enough toy factor for you. It's a great all 'rounder but is still a 4 door sedan. The 740iL would be redundant as the E55 can fill that role with a decent degree of success. I would keep the 740iL and get an SL55... same wonderful engine only two seats and an open top as an extra added bonus. Now THAT is a toy.

The main aspect that I loved about the M5 (besides the engine) was the fact that it had a 6-speed stick. I really didn't feel that it handled that brilliantly and it stll felt like a damn big sedan to me (although one with incredibly high limits). Keep in mind that I don't have my E55 yet so others will know better. My opinion is derived from experience with the E500 and S55 and extrapolating from there.

Last edited by kaneman; 06-08-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
Yeah, I may just keep the 7 and do a 993 or 996TT (996 feels more boring), viper or some other beast. I also have not been too happy with Mercedes feel in the two I've had. Although I suspect they are bad samples compared to what current cars feel like... My ML430 feels cheap in terms of plastics and rattles from chassis, and the SL500 felt like a boat that swayed and steering absolutely sucked. My 7 was more fun to drive than the SL!

I told myself no more Mercedes and only BMW and Audi. The the new SL55, E55, S55, S600 breed of super cars comes out and I'm wondering is a another case of incredible motor but bad dynamics. How do you Porsche and BMW owners feel about the entire experience with the newer cars?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Raron
Yeah, I may just keep the 7 and do a 993 or 996TT (996 feels more boring), viper or some other beast. I also have not been too happy with Mercedes feel in the two I've had. Although I suspect they are bad samples compared to what current cars feel like... My ML430 feels cheap in terms of plastics and rattles from chassis, and the SL500 felt like a boat that swayed and steering absolutely sucked. My 7 was more fun to drive than the SL!

I told myself no more Mercedes and only BMW and Audi. The the new SL55, E55, S55, S600 breed of super cars comes out and I'm wondering is a another case of incredible motor but bad dynamics. How do you Porsche and BMW owners feel about the entire experience with the newer cars?

I've had my '03 E55 for 2 weeks and love it. I traded my '00 740i sport for it, and sold my '02 Carrera. I've owned 3 Porsches and they handle incredibly well, but I don't track my cars or drive them to their handling limit. If you told me 5 years ago I'd own a Mercedes, I'd say you were crazy. The new E55 design (exterior and interior) is beautiful, and the suspension is great. I drive in sport mode 2, and while nothing handles like a Carrera, since I don't push my cars to the edge, I really can't tell the difference. To me it's the perfect combination between sporty & sedan. Body roll is non-existant, and the exhaust note is very nice (not as loud as Porsche sport exhaust, for example, but definately sporty). Now I get to drive a fun car all the time, since it's also very practical. And man, is it quick!!

The problem I had with having a 740i (daily driver) & Carrera (weekend toy) is that most of the time I wasn't driving my fun car--now I am all the time.

Last edited by Poursha; 06-08-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Ditch the Bimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Poursha
[B
The problem I had with having a 740i (daily driver) & Carrera (weekend toy) is that most of the time I wasn't driving my fun car--now I am all the time. [/B]

This is the main reason to buy this car. 100% fun whenever you want it at the tips of your fingers and toes. It may not be a Porsche out on the track, but it feels pretty good at its extremes of handling and will kick any Porsche's *** except a tt accelerating down the stretches. It is the most well rounded automobile on the planet that can admirably perform its varied duties in style-ranging from carpooling and daily commuter to weekend warrior-all with roadside assistance and 4 year/50,000 mile free scheduled maintenance.

Now I'll get off my soapbox and close by saying-c'mon August.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 06-08-2003 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:13 PM

Re: Ditch the Bimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dr Chill
This is the main reason to buy this car. 100% fun whenever you want it at the tips of your fingers and toes. It may not be a Porsche out on the track, but it feels pretty good at its extremes of handling and will kick any Porsche's *** except a tt accelerating down the stretches. It is the most well rounded automobile on the planet that can admirably perform its varied duties in style-ranging from carpooling and daily commuter to weekend warrior-all with roadside assistance and 4 year/50,000 mile free scheduled maintenance.

Now I'll get off my soapbox and close by saying-c'mon August.

Well said!!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:04 AM

Only if she has real big zoomers and likes to gargle

Can 211 E55 be a primary toy??? Hmmmmmmm

Well now...........That can be a rather difficult question to consider.
Imagine the plight of poor Hugh Heffner trying to decide if Miss January can be his primary toy.................................I think not.

Me, I am a car ****. I want to drive em all. Especially the ones that really put out................lol.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
E55 just became my daily driver,more comfortable then M5(had a '01),faster then 996 tt tip(had '01 too).
Easier to drive fast in or out of traffic then CL600 with sport pkge(had '03).
It is ultimate car for me for now,regardless of what I read in some magazines which had the car for a day or two.
"Infamous"brakes are non issue,I think they are excellent,handling is on par with the best and performance is just totally overwhelming.
This car ,at that price($82,900 with all that I need and don't need)
is simply a steal.
I think I have a right to judge this car properly since I used to be involved in rallying(late 70's) and owned in the last 25 years every Porsche,328 GTB,512BB,355GTB,E28M5
E34M5,E39M5,Lancia Thema8.32 and many others.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by absent
E55 just became my daily driver,more comfortable then M5(had a '01),faster then 996 tt tip(had '01 too).
Easier to drive fast in or out of traffic then CL600 with sport pkge(had '03).
It is ultimate car for me for now,regardless of what I read in some magazines which had the car for a day or two.
"Infamous"brakes are non issue,I think they are excellent,handling is on par with the best and performance is just totally overwhelming.
This car ,at that price($82,900 with all that I need and don't need)
is simply a steal.
I think I have a right to judge this car properly since I used to be involved in rallying(late 70's) and owned in the last 25 years every Porsche,328 GTB,512BB,355GTB,E28M5
E34M5,E39M5,Lancia Thema8.32 and many others.

I've owned 3 Porsches, most recently owned a '00 BMW 740i sport and a '02 Carrera, and sold them both and got my '03 E55, and it is really an awesome car. Unless you're going to track your car, you'll never notice the handling difference between it and a Carrera. And in every other category, the E55 is superior. I love it .
Attached Thumbnails Can 211 E55 be primary toy???-img_0181-200k.jpg  
Old 06-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Hi everyone, I just joined this board. This is my very first post.

absent.......the Lancia Thema 8.32 you had, did you have it in the USA? If I remember right, that is the one with the Ferrari 328's 3.2L V8. It got a little retractable spoiler in the trunk lid right? Thanks, it just bought back some of my childhood memory.