Got to drive in a tuned ecu/tcu CL65 AMG yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Got to drive in a tuned ecu/tcu CL65 AMG yesterday

Had the pleasure of driving in one of these beasts yesterday, and wanted to give a full review for you guys.

The car was a unicorn, white CL65 and had some tasteful upgrades. The owner actually sold urbanworm his E55 which is a small world.

Onto the review, the car is a 599rwhp/823rwtq animal. You cannot drive with ESP off, waste of time as it just roasts the tires and gets bent out of shape in a bad way. I will say the car makes copious amounts of torque but down low it is not as violent out the hole or slow role when comparing it to a full bolt on e55. HOWEVER, once you get up to 70mph, I have never been in a car that transforms like this beasts does. It just starts pulling so hard.

A stage 3 e55 would hang very well up to 80mph from a dig, but after that it looks as if the e55 drops anchor. The Cl would literally start to put multiple car lengths very quickly.

In summary, the E55 is definitely more fun around town but the Cl 65 is an on ramp or highway king. Never been in a car that accelerates faster and faster as speed increases like this car does. Our car tops out I feel in high speed runs but not this beast. I loved it in everyway, and talk about a panty dropper
Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Great review!
Those 65 engines really do have monstrous power.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
V12TT for life!

I'm not embellishing, when I say that I can break the wheels lose, at will, at anything below 60mph in my car. And when it's below freezing outside, that mph marker goes up. I don't feel safe going WOT, at any speed in those temps. It will pucker your butthole, almost every time you drive it.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Had the pleasure of driving in one of these beasts yesterday, and wanted to give a full review for you guys.

The car was a unicorn, white CL65 and had some tasteful upgrades. The owner actually sold urbanworm his E55 which is a small world.

Onto the review, the car is a 599rwhp/823rwtq animal. You cannot drive with ESP off, waste of time as it just roasts the tires and gets bent out of shape in a bad way. I will say the car makes copious amounts of torque but down low it is not as violent out the hole or slow role when comparing it to a full bolt on e55. HOWEVER, once you get up to 70mph, I have never been in a car that transforms like this beasts does. It just starts pulling so hard.

A stage 3 e55 would hang very well up to 80mph from a dig, but after that it looks as if the e55 drops anchor. The Cl would literally start to put multiple car lengths very quickly.

In summary, the E55 is definitely more fun around town but the Cl 65 is an on ramp or highway king. Never been in a car that accelerates faster and faster as speed increases like this car does. Our car tops out I feel in high speed runs but not this beast. I loved it in everyway, and talk about a panty dropper
Nice review ! Do you know what tune he had? I as because I am wondering where his sweet spot was. I seems like you could move it around if you wanted more down low. On my V12TT after I did a ECU reset it was much better down low, also my buddies E55 did feel faster down low, but it proved not to be after we made several runs.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 AM

2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
V12TT for life!

I'm not embellishing, when I say that I can break the wheels lose, at will, at anything below 60mph in my car. And when it's below freezing outside, that mph marker goes up. I don't feel safe going WOT, at any speed in those temps. It will pucker your butthole, almost every time you drive it.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
That's sweet! Love those V12's!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I drove in Claytons car when he was in town and can attest to the fact that those cars are brutaly fast yet so smooth on delivery. Truely an amazing engine.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Thinking about a CL65 for my next car. They really are supercars. Interior is alittle dated, but with some piano black and DCTMS sterring wheel I think I can fix that. I think a dailey driven 650whp 850+wtq would do just fine...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Thinking about a CL65 for my next car. They really are supercars. Interior is alittle dated, but with some piano black and DCTMS sterring wheel I think I can fix that. I think a dailey driven 650whp 850+wtq would do just fine...
Lol, yea i think those hp and tq figures would do for a DD
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
V12TT for life!

lol.......love it.....
Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Cl65

What's the main difference between the 600s and 65s?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by tbal
Cl65

What's the main difference between the 600s and 65s?
Engine wise? .5L displacement and slightly larger snails.

Theres other things too, like AMG tuned ABC, speedshift, etc...the 65s getter larger brakes too. At least on the SL, anyway.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Thanks for the info... So are snails upgradeable on 600s?

Either way both motors are beast.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i remember when i drove a w220 s65 sedan.... i couldnt believe how fast i had gotten to 130mph, on a test drive, ooops

i drove it after i had driven a 997 carrera S, , the porsche wouldnt stand a chance
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, Viper RT/10, E55
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
+1.. but might go the cl600 route... price of admission just so much less.

OP, good review.. thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
it is true about MB turbo cars.

i tested tuned SL65BS you feel like it is not pulling hard like a highly modded 55k, but when you race them, 65 are fast when tuned.

i felt the same in my CLS63TT. i though it is slower because there is no sudden pull like S/C but when compairing to modded 55k, it is fast.

the problem with 65s here is heat, the generate heat alot and our weather doesn't help a bit. thats why i didn't pick me one of them
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM

03 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by vdubpower
i remember when i drove a w220 s65 sedan.... i couldnt believe how fast i had gotten to 130mph, on a test drive, ooops

i drove it after i had driven a 997 carrera S, , the porsche wouldnt stand a chance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6h5SOPJqeA

And you're absolutely right.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Originally Posted by chawkins2001

Glad you enjoyed a little ride in my car!! I know this all doesn't add up but let me get you and anyone else who was there up to date....I actually run a repair shop up in marietta which we specialize in european repairs mainly mercedes though. Anyways I walked to my car friday night from leaving the gym and had a Buckhead performance dyno day flyer on my car "jason saw my car and left it on there I later found out" for saturday thought cool I would like to make a pass on another dyno since I usually use a dynojet. Now the co-owner of the shop which I work at and Jason kind of had a falling out, so I didn't want to go up there to stir anything up or start throwing out our shops name etc.. I thought it would be tasteless and bad business all the way around. So thats why I side stepped alot of questions wether it be what I do for a living or technical questions like who had worked on my car or done the upgrades cosmetic or performance. The day was to promote Buckhead imports performance and let me be first to tell you they have a fantastic performance shop and a great group of guys working there. I would like to also say thank you to Jason, Tony, and the whole BIP crew for putting on an awesome dyno day!

Last edited by Malones Perf.; 10-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by Malones Perf.
Glad you enjoyed a little ride in my car!! I know this all doesn't add up but let me get you and anyone else who was there up to date....I actually run a repair shop up in marietta which we specialize in european repairs mainly mercedes though. Anyways I walked to my car friday night from leaving the gym and had a Buckhead performance dyno day flyer on my car "jason saw my car and left it on there I later found out" for saturday thought cool I would like to make a pass on another dyno since I usually use a dynojet. Now the co-owner of the shop which I work at and Jason kind of had a falling out, so I didn't want to go up there to stir anything up or start throwing out our shops name etc.. I thought it would be tasteless and bad business all the way around. So thats why I side stepped alot of questions wether it be what I do for a living or technical questions like who had worked on my car or done the upgrades cosmetic or performance. The day was to promote Buckhead imports performance and let me be first to tell you they have a fantastic performance shop and a great group of guys working there. I would like to also say thank you to Jason, Tony, and the whole BIP crew for putting on an awesome dyno day!
It was good to meet you and see the CL lay down some strong numbers. You left a class response above too
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Good to meet you mang, is that the same Malone's that has the two local dealerships? Shoot me a pm so we can exchange contact info for the 1320

Originally Posted by Malones Perf.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Did I hear my username in here? Well spelt a little wrong but close enough for its weirdness haha.

Hey Adam I didn't know the CL was white too, I guess you like white! To bad I didn't get to see it and go for a ride back when I was up there!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Craig-Thanks for the post giving us the review of the CL65. For the most part, all of the cars we saw this weekend up at BI were awesome. But it is interesting to read your thoughts on some of the differences.
Adam- It was nice talking with you at the event. You have a beautiful car and your post was all class.
It was great of Jason and Greg and Tony and the rest of the BI crew to host the dyno event.
Not only do they really car about keeping our cars sounding great and running strong, but they care about the relationships. You don't find that with the big box dealerships.
Great Event.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Originally Posted by FASN8N
It was good to meet you and see the CL lay down some strong numbers. You left a class response above too

Hey thanks and it was great meeting you to as well! Will have to meet up sometime and i'll get you behind the drivers seat of my car like I promised, sorry I just had to run time flew by there. I hope buckhead gets your new tranny in there and going soon!!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Did I hear my username in here? Well spelt a little wrong but close enough for its weirdness haha.

Hey Adam I didn't know the CL was white too, I guess you like white! To bad I didn't get to see it and go for a ride back when I was up there!

Oh yeah white is definatly my color of choice, finding a CL65 in white was a bit of task! But i'll tell you what that E55 you have was my favorit and pano just seals the deal in my eye's, I hope your enjoying it. Also I never did mention it but I might have a set of ported+polished heads with a set of kleemann cams in it that can get your car to say ummm... 604 rwtq if I remeber correctly and into the 10's if you haven't hit it yet that is.

stevieg-Nice meeting you as well also was that your E63 up there then I take it?

And here is my take on the 65 as I was telling "chawkins2001" while we were cruising it around. Now im not sure why but this always seems to fire up other 600tt and 65 guys if you look threw my other post's for some reason. The 65's and 600's are fast, smooth, and seem to not stop pulling at any speeds really. But i'll be the first to say a well setup bolt on e55 or frankly and strong stock e55 with sticky tires nearly put down identical 1/8th mile times and speeds if anything a bolt on e55 is faster, but after the 1/8th is hit the v12tt's just start waking up and ride out. Getting there 1/4 mile times a tick faster on average. But stop light to stop light in my opinion and in my real world experiances is a modded e55 will be side by side till 75-80ish and then the 65s torque will just start walking... So craig you are right on with exactly how I feel the cars compare and differ once and higher speeds. We should go out cruising around some time and make some recordings of how what were saying truely plays out!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Nice review! Those 65's are definitely nothing to mess with!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got to drive in a tuned ecu/tcu CL65 AMG yesterday