Sponsored by:

s55 amg upgrades-- I hear the E55/63 owners know best

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s55 amg
s55 amg upgrades-- I hear the E55/63 owners know best

Ok, so I originally posted this in the S55 section, but i keep hearing that E55 guys know a lot about aftermarket parts for this engine.

This post is mainly for my dad- He has an 06' s55 amg with approx. 9,000 miles on it -- its his baby. Anyway, he's been looking into what it takes to increase the horsepower on the car and has looked into renntech etc, but i was wondering what the most cost effective and safest way is to gain hp. Also, are there any mods you can do that will not void the warranty? I've read about adding green filters, iridium spark plugs etc., but is this the best way to go- will this void the warranty? Is there a pulley kit and tune that can be had for around $1500? How much hp can be expected? Overall, I think the most important thing is that he wants to maintain his warranty.

Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it a lot.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by CaptainMatt311
Ok, so I originally posted this in the S55 section, but i keep hearing that E55 guys know a lot about aftermarket parts for this engine.

This post is mainly for my dad- He has an 06' s55 amg with approx. 9,000 miles on it -- its his baby. Anyway, he's been looking into what it takes to increase the horsepower on the car and has looked into renntech etc, but i was wondering what the most cost effective and safest way is to gain hp. Also, are there any mods you can do that will not void the warranty? I've read about adding green filters, iridium spark plugs etc., but is this the best way to go- will this void the warranty? Is there a pulley kit and tune that can be had for around $1500? How much hp can be expected? Overall, I think the most important thing is that he wants to maintain his warranty.

Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it a lot.
Start with a pulley and a tune. That should get you about 40-60hp
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I started with a heat exchanger and Johnson CM30 pump...but I also live in Florida...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Also, are there any mods you can do that will not void the warranty?
It's an open question in that every dealer is different. For example my good friend Ken ran the Benz dealership on the south side of our city and would NEVER void a warranty. His motto was, "its your engine, do what you want with it"

However, the dealer on the North side of town said "the moment you are on our property we have the right to void your warranty if we spot aftermarket mods"

So bottom line, if you have a pulley, tune or whatever on the car and you have major engine, tranny, rear end failure....you would need to pull the mods or risk having them deny the car. We've talked the Warranty Act to death......just doesn't apply unless you are willing to spend years in court to fight it.

If he wants the car to feel "peppy", I say get a tune and buy the little portable flasher. That way when he goes in for service, they will flash the system with updates and you can go ahead and load the tune back on afterwards. Plus the car will keep setting him up with granny settings and he can reflash anytime he wants for the car to "perk right back up".

That and throw in some K&Ns for an additional 15 hp and he will feel the old girl pep up. Next step and easiest to remove would be pulley.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM

s55 amg
thanks for the response...
How hard is the pulley to install and remove? I've installed underdrive pulleys back when i had a mustang, but then again it wasn't a s/c pulley. I know i'm going to need a special tool to get the pulley off/on but how hard is it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but then again I haven't ever worked on an amg mercedes haha. Also, which tune and pulley do you recommend brand wise?