Smooth as Silk...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Thumbs up Smooth as Silk...

Never had I thought of describing an 55K engine as a smooth running machine. From day one, it always had an edge to it. From time to time it would stumble a little or hick up with a slight surge. I went through everything trying to rectify these anomalies and finally came to the conclusion that these speed density based engines are just very touchy.

Well, a little over two weeks ago that all changed for me. I am talking a dead smooth idle, no surging when slowing down or coming to a stop, no nothing. The engine feels dramatically different in it's behavior during normal driving. I purposely waited a couple weeks to see if anything would change over time, and it hasn't.
So, what was the difference...
TTM rail/injectors with the corresponding tune from Jeremy at OE Tuning.
From a "driving experience" standpoint, this was the best mod to date.
Even my wife, who I love dearly, noticed the difference!!! Now, mind you, she would drive around on four flat tires with two pedestrians hanging off the bumper and never realize it, but she commented on how much better the E55 ran. That was amazing to me!
I urge you, if you do not have these, find someone in your area who does and ask for a ride. You will be convinced!

Thanks Bruce and Jeremy
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
I've had my E55 for a few weeks now. As much as I like the car, there are a couple things that bother me about it. One is the lack of smoothness. When slowing down, it surges back and forth a bit. If I could get something like this locally I would definitely do it. For a Mercedes, the ride isn't what I expected.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by bamaster
I've had my E55 for a few weeks now. As much as I like the car, there are a couple things that bother me about it. One is the lack of smoothness. When slowing down, it surges back and forth a bit. If I could get something like this locally I would definitely do it. For a Mercedes, the ride isn't what I expected.
Mine did this too. Not all the time mind you, but every once in a while. Mostly when I was in bumper to bumper traffic creaping along and braking.
This combination made a huge difference. Not one surge, hiccup, or throttle blip since then.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have EC injectors and tune...car feels the same. It's a monster, so it very well should act like one.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Never had I thought of describing an 55K engine as a smooth running machine. From day one, it always had an edge to it. From time to time it would stumble a little or hick up with a slight surge. I went through everything trying to rectify these anomalies and finally came to the conclusion that these speed density based engines are just very touchy.

Well, a little over two weeks ago that all changed for me. I am talking a dead smooth idle, no surging when slowing down or coming to a stop, no nothing. The engine feels dramatically different in it's behavior during normal driving. I purposely waited a couple weeks to see if anything would change over time, and it hasn't.
Even my wife, who I love dearly, noticed the difference!!! Now, mind you, she would drive around on four flat tires with two pedestrians hanging off the bumper and never realize it, but she commented on how much better the E55 ran. That was amazing to me!
I urge you, if you do not have these, find someone in your area who does and ask for a ride. You will be convinced!

Thanks Bruce and Jeremy
The e55 is not a speed density engine. It has a maf.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!

Thanks Bruce and Jeremy
Thank you BK for your insight and the trust you've shown in me. In a couple of weeks that will be the true tell tale sign of where we are with your BEAST and the data to quantify our belief in your set up.

Originally Posted by Oliverk
100000000% WRONG!!!! IAT, MAP and primary O2= SPEED DENSITY!!

Where is the MAF on a W211 E55 if there is one?

You should be at yourself.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
And you would be WRONG. there is no MAF
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
thats what I get for assuming. Pretty sad that MB is using speed density, but I digress.

I stand corrected.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
thats what I get for assuming. Pretty sad that MB is using speed density, but I digress.

I stand corrected.
No problem, apology accepted.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I have EC injectors and tune...car feels the same. It's a monster, so it very well should act like one.
This is my daily driver and for me, I wanted to accentuate it's dual personality.
Now, when the beast is caged, she is so much more refined.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Just my .02

I just want to say that I had my TTM rail and injectors in my SL for a little longer than low profile and I have to agree 100%. My idle has never been more consistent and acceleration through the gears especially when I get on her just seems to flow..........it is definietly noticable. I did this mod for engine preservation because I believe in the concept behind the design. It has done so much more.

Thanks Bruce for the committment in getting this right and making it work for our cars. The Jeremy tune in conjunction with it, phenominal.

When something works, you spread the word! For those still inquiring and on the fence? Think no more. Take a ride in a beast fitted with the mod. I know you'll agree.

Just my .02
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG

Thanks Bruce and Jeremy
Great to hear you are loving the new tune.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
What surge/roughness is everyone talking about as mine never had it pre and post tune and not only have I daily driven it for 2 years and 60k miles but I am super **** about how my cars run and sound. Could some of you gents clarify? On the flip side, a fuel rail kit is a couple of months away for me for preventative maintenance.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The buck/slight surge usually happened when just inching along in traffic. The engine would buck, rpms drop and then shoot above normal idle. There were other times too when I felt it was just a little off.
Keep in mind this is my third tune in 18 months. One from Jerry, and two from Jeremy. The issue I am describing was there up until I added the rails/injectors and corresponding tune. As well, the engine just runs way smoother all around.
I would like to hear your feedback after you upgraded.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Yh definitely will update in here once I do it.