It pays to datalog if you mod...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't either and what i meant was, is it a canned tune or a custom tune on the dyno (or doubtful, on the street)...?
Both road tuned and dyno tuned. Part throttle map on the road, WOT on the dyno.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I understand what you are saying but a standalone computer has to be retuned for different weather if being tuned open loop and only referencing a preprogrammed fuel table with no adjustment on the fly ever possible. I couldn't imagine an oem ecu would work like this without a maf since it has to run in a wide variety of climates and elevations. I understand how it could reference boost with the map sensor to adjust fueling based on load, rpm and the present manifold pressure but how does it account for different air density to not run rich or lean? I guess some how they take intake air temp readings and go by cool air is dense and hot air isn't but that still leaves the elevation part. Do you know how they would account for that with the present sensors?
Not true...if your a good tuner you will know how weather affects you and you can tune for just about any type of weather in one shot and not have to touch it again EVER....it's not easy though, and usually requires a VERY extensive tune and this is why most tuners don't bother...but Mercedes isn't most tuners since they have to think of every situation possible so they spend the big bucks to tune for every situation.

The way it works is if the air is hotter yet the boost stays the same, then the density of the air is lower which means less fuel is needed. If the temps stay the same and the boost goes down then the density of the air is also lower so again, less fuel is required. This is just an example but it's the reason why fuel and timing maps are not linear but rather multidimensional. They not only take into consideration throttle and rpm...they also take map and iat. This makes every precise fueling possible for every scenario imaginable.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
I didn't even think about the boost going down since the supercharger can't make up for it like a turbo by just working harder (spinning faster) to still make the set boost so the map sensor could be used seeing lower boost at altitude.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
tell your tuner to add 5-10% more fuel and you will be perfect.

Iv had the same tune on my car and it has adapted to adding more boost and a bigger tb and the target a/f is always the same.I hit around 11.8 at 500whp and 11.8 at 530whp without touching the tune.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I didn't even think about the boost going down since the supercharger can't make up for it like a turbo by just working harder (spinning faster) to still make the set boost so the map sensor could be used seeing lower boost at altitude.
Even in a turbo car, the turbo will spin faster ( as you stated ) to make up for the altitude. The IAT will be higher than normal though due to the turbo not being as efficient.

Speed density is pretty awesome...it's just not very fuel efficient compared to MAF systems.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Good thing you installed that data logger! 12.9 Damnnnnn brah...

At what point is it considered dangerously lean?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
tell your tuner to add 5-10% more fuel and you will be perfect.

Iv had the same tune on my car and it has adapted to adding more boost and a bigger tb and the target a/f is always the same.I hit around 11.8 at 500whp and 11.8 at 530whp without touching the tune.
Scratch, your car is an phenom homey. I believe it is the exception as most won't respond to changes as well as yours does
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
You have that backwards, the higher the number means more parts air, less fuel aka leaner. At the end when it says 11.4 it went richer.
Yeah I know a higher number means more air, I was talking about the "off the chart" reading after 11.4, I guess when he backed off the throttle (obvious now that I look at the TPS).