Sponsored by:

Anyone done a fuel pump swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG / Gallardo
Anyone done a fuel pump swap?

I'm just curious if any of you guys have done the swap? Mine melted the fuel pump relay and relay socket. I stuck a new relay in it and now a month later, it melted again. I figured the fuel pump was probably getting tired and just drawing too much current for the reason it failed the first time. So, I can't say this is a big surprise.

With that said, has anyone swapped it themselves? I have found you can buy the pump itself very cheap when you don't need the whole sender and all that stuff. Everything works fine, fuel guage and all so I don't need a sender...just the pump is apparently failing. Have any of you guys tackled this? Does it lift right out the top from under the back seat once you unbolt the 'pan' that covers that area??
Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
I've done more searching and answered my questions. It doesn't look too bad. There are 2 pumps and both are under the seat on the passenger side. The driver side just has a sender...I thought it housed a pump of some sort as well but apparently not.
Is it commonplace to just replace both pumps while in there?? I don't want to buy more than I need, but I'd assume if one is giving trouble, the other probably isn't far behind. Thoughts from anyone that's been down this path??
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM

E55, Evo 8
I have not done the swap myself, but I just had both pumps swapped out by the dealer. I believe they run in series so it needs to match.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
I just went ahead and bought the entire assembly from RockAuto for ~$350 that has both pumps and everything already assembled. So, I'll drop it in when it gets here. I did find a place that said if I pulled the pumps out and sent some pictures, they could sell me just the pumps and I could wire them in and put the assembly all back together. It was going to save some money, but wasn't worth it for the increase in down time to me. So, I just bought the whole thing.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by Barry D.
I just went ahead and bought the entire assembly from RockAuto for ~$350 that has both pumps and everything already assembled. So, I'll drop it in when it gets here. I did find a place that said if I pulled the pumps out and sent some pictures, they could sell me just the pumps and I could wire them in and put the assembly all back together. It was going to save some money, but wasn't worth it for the increase in down time to me. So, I just bought the whole thing.
Very smart!!! I don't know a lot about this but I DO know that you need to buy the entire unit. Everyone hates it but must be done if you don't want to mess with this crap again.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Only thing I am wondering is the price you paid. Many throw around the 700$ number when talking about replacing. Wonder if you needed to buy 2 complete units.

Let us know when you get the unit in from Rock either way
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Only thing I am wondering is the price you paid. Many throw around the 700$ number when talking about replacing. Wonder if you needed to buy 2 complete units.

Let us know when you get the unit in from Rock either way
Nah, they're just getting overcharged by the dealer and not shopping around. Generally ebay is the cheapest and they are just under $500 there. I bought the same part number which is the AirTex E8572M with both pumps. RockAuto always kills prices...found them through this forum. That is the price for everything needed. Some people may also be swapping the driver side sending unit and all too, but I'm just replacing the cluster on the passenger side which is everything including the two pumps.

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Sneakyneon put in duel bosch 044 pumps and did away with the factory stuff. Search his post , lot of great info.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM

E55 AMG / Gallardo
I will definitely look into that, thanks! I'm a big DIY guy and have even fabricated some of my own fuel systems for race/street cars I have had. I was just trying to get this one back on the road though.
Anyways, I'll search his post and probably go the same route if I run into this again at any point. Thanks!