Sponsored by:

Moving on from E55..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Cayenne
Moving on from E55..

These days I've been asking myself.. Why am I still driving an E55? I have no need for such a large car. I'm sure there's plenty of other guys on here like me who spend 95% of the time (or more) in the car either by themselves or with the gf. The backseats rarely get used.. only the odd occasion where i load the friends in for a drunken night out or driving ppl to the airport. The E-class is big, heavy and I won't say ugly.. but not the prettiest car on the road anymore.

A couple of months ago I got to spend a few weeks with a 2010 SLK55. Didn't like it at first, but after I got used to it, I absolutely loved it. It felt like I was driving a Go-Kart that just happened to have a massive V8 Engine up front. The exhaust note was great and cruising around with the top down was incredible. However the ride was quite harsh and any trips over 50km became uncomfortable! But now I realise I should be driving a small coupe/roadster. I used to hate convertibles, but now I love them and would love to buy one. So, it's time to start shopping for a new car. Here is what I have come up with so far:

- '11 GTR
- <'08 Aston Martin Vantage 4.3
- <'08 Audi R8 4.2

Note: I want a fast car, but power is not everything. I want something with good looks, handling, reasonable standard of luxury and comfort. It will be my daily driver. I'd like to fit my golf clubs, but I can sacrifice this. I still love AMGs but currently I'm just not that into anything. C63 Coupe would be the best of the bunch I guess. New SLK doesn't do anything for me.

I would like more suggestions to consider, so fire away
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
I'd skip the R8 4.2...Everyone I know that has had one, has since traded them in for V10's...You could get a Carrera S for the kind of money you're looking at...In the States that is...
Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by diggo
reasonable standard of luxury

So what you mean to say is that you're deciding between

> Aston martin vanquish

or

> Audi R8

Both pretty slow when you look at the price range imo.

I honestly wouldn't choose either of the two.

I have a friend that hated his db9 ( said it was a Pos).

and the audi is just lame all around.

I think you can find something better.

I would take the GTR and just redo the interior.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I would consider getting either a GT-R or 997 Turbo.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 AM

Porsche Cayenne
Thanks guys,

Porsche doesn't interest me. The GT-R offers much better value for money. Hyperlite, I can live with Nissan's interior. It's not a deal breaker for me. Currently I am leaning towards the GTR, AM V8 in 2nd and R8 3rd.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by citylightva
I'd skip the R8 4.2...Everyone I know that has had one, has since traded them in for V10's...You could get a Carrera S for the kind of money you're looking at...In the States that is...
The Heffner Twin Turbo kit is crazy for the 4.2 R8 though, IMO it sound BETTER than the V10 and it actually has performance after the turbo kit. They're still on stock internals which is why the boost is low but they make 630 crank HP which is not bad. Not sure about the price of the kit but if it's not too much it's definitely a must. The sound it makes is just out of this world, breathtaking turbo spool, better than that stupid MTM loud pitched supercharger whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWBXKrF7svs
Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Thanks guys,

Porsche doesn't interest me. The GT-R offers much better value for money. Hyperlite, I can live with Nissan's interior. It's not a deal breaker for me. Currently I am leaning towards the GTR, AM V8 in 2nd and R8 3rd.
With the GT-R's huge modification potential it should definitely be on your list, as for the interior, are you serious? It's not bad at all, maybe not like an Aston, R8 or Gallardo or even an E55 but it's actually a very nice place to be in. The ONLY problem the GT-R has is that it's a Nissan. I know this should not mean anything to a real enthusiast if the car is amazing, which it is, but everytime I see one or ride in one that thought is in the back of my mind. However when a car has the ability to run high 8s (Alpha 12) and handle like no other, you know that's a street destroyer. With the GT-R and the R8 you do have some mod options and believe me if you get a GT-R sooner or later you will look to mod.

The Aston Martin IMO you should skip, it's the baby Aston, sort of like the Boxster, unless you get the big boys DB9/DBS then personally I say skip it. It sounds awesome and look great while being very comfortable but it's just not as potent as other cars in its class, this is an issue with all Astons. Even the DB9 is a little slow coming from an E55 but it's more of a GT car. Remember, you're coming from an E55, the replacement has to be pretty f***** epic to live up to the predecessor.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 AM

Porsche Cayenne
Originally Posted by e500slr
With the GT-R's huge modification potential it should definitely be on your list, as for the interior, are you serious? It's not bad at all, maybe not like an Aston, R8 or Gallardo or even an E55 but it's actually a very nice place to be in. The ONLY problem the GT-R has is that it's a Nissan. I know this should not mean anything to a real enthusiast if the car is amazing, which it is, but everytime I see one or ride in one that thought is in the back of my mind. However when a car has the ability to run high 8s (Alpha 12) and handle like no other, you know that's a street destroyer. With the GT-R and the R8 you do have some mod options and believe me if you get a GT-R sooner or later you will look to mod.

The Aston Martin IMO you should skip, it's the baby Aston, sort of like the Boxster, unless you get the big boys DB9/DBS then personally I say skip it. It sounds awesome and look great while being very comfortable but it's just not as potent as other cars in its class, this is an issue with all Astons. Even the DB9 is a little slow coming from an E55 but it's more of a GT car. Remember, you're coming from an E55, the replacement has to be pretty f***** epic to live up to the predecessor.

Good luck
Haha.. yes it will be hard to downgrade from the power of the E55. But like I said earlier, power isn't everything to me. I don't normally modify my cars either. I'm sure whichever car I get I won't be modding it.. and if I do, then it will only be light mods.

You're right about the Nissan badge, I can never get it out of the back of my mind. But at the moment it's looking most likely. Anyway I'll try get a few test drives in the coming weeks to make it clearer. Keep any other suggestions flowing
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
You said you dont like Porsche's.... that leaves me with nothing to say.

AM V8 Vantage is all bark and no bite, but pretty.
R8 a contender but V10 or ntg there...

GT-R is allot of car for the money and really no one should be driving any other "sports" car ... yet they do. I wonder why?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
If you still like AMG's how about a CLK Black Series?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
What is your price range? You can get a 2010 Audi R8 V8 for around 120... For 20k more you can get the V10... And for what its worth, you can get kits from Underground Racing that, I feel are better than Heffner starting at 40k....
Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Porsche Cayenne
CLK BS does interest me, but I still prefer what the GT-R offers for a similar price tag. And the BS is hard to find in my country.

Originally Posted by 06E55
What is your price range? You can get a 2010 Audi R8 V8 for around 120... For 20k more you can get the V10... And for what its worth, you can get kits from Underground Racing that, I feel are better than Heffner starting at 40k....
Oh how nice it would be to live in America. Unfortunately my budget of ~US$200k doesn't stretch far.. The cheapest V10 R8s go for close to $300k here. I paid nearly 100k for my E55 last year.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Hey Diggo-
Just as a suggestion since you seem to want a great look, but maybe not the power of an E55, you should look at the Acura NSX. Great looks, great balance and handling and super dependability. Plus if you ever get the itch to mod, Comptech has all the goodies.
I completely understand your issue with dollars stretching in your area of the world. I lived in New Zealand for several years and was blown away at the costs of just regular cars let alone exotic cars.
Good Luck in your final choice.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
GT-R seems like a good choice.. Cant beat the value for the amount you spend.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM

P-Carro
These days I've been asking myself.. Why am I still driving an E55? I have no need for such a large car. I'm sure there's plenty of other guys on here like me who spend 95% of the time (or more) in the car either by themselves or with the gf. The backseats rarely get used.. only the odd occasion where i load the friends in for a drunken night out or driving ppl to the airport. The E-class is big, heavy and I won't say ugly.. but not the prettiest car on the road anymore.

A couple of months ago I got to spend a few weeks with a 2010 SLK55. Didn't like it at first, but after I got used to it, I absolutely loved it. It felt like I was driving a Go-Kart that just happened to have a massive V8 Engine up front. The exhaust note was great and cruising around with the top down was incredible. However the ride was quite harsh and any trips over 50km became uncomfortable! But now I realise I should be driving a small coupe/roadster. I used to hate convertibles, but now I love them and would love to buy one. So, it's time to start shopping for a new car. Here is what I have come up with so far:

- '11 GTR
- <'08 Aston Martin Vantage 4.3
- <'08 Audi R8 4.2

Note: I want a fast car, but power is not everything. I want something with good looks, handling, reasonable standard of luxury and comfort. It will be my daily driver. I'd like to fit my golf clubs, but I can sacrifice this. I still love AMGs but currently I'm just not that into anything. C63 Coupe would be the best of the bunch I guess. New SLK doesn't do anything for me.

I would like more suggestions to consider, so fire away
Only two cars IMO replace the E55 and one of them is on your list GT-R & 997 Turbo.

My choice wasnt hard to make, and even though power difference between my e55 and the porsche is around 120whp i have nooo regrets, and some claim with a Tune alone they get real close to the 500whp

According to your budget for the 11' GTR and you'll probably be around 100k mark and a used 09' 10' 997 TURBO wouldnt be too far out. Again you might not be a Porsche guy. I Did my research on the Nissan but never considered!

Edit: Your budget is $200k??? New PDK Turbo S!!!
Good luck!

Last edited by LOCO 05' E55; 10-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I would say go for the GTR.
I came from the opposite end of the spectrum, owning a SCed Z06 and looking for more of a car that can do everything well I finally decided on the E55.
99% of the time, I don't use the space of the wagon, but it is nice knowing it is there when I need it. The rest of the time I can enjoy the luxury, class, and performance of an E55.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Hyperlite

and the audi is just lame all around.
You think an Audi R8 is lame all around? GTFO
Old 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
CLK BS does interest me, but I still prefer what the GT-R offers for a similar price tag. And the BS is hard to find in my country.

Oh how nice it would be to live in America. Unfortunately my budget of ~US$200k doesn't stretch far.. The cheapest V10 R8s go for close to $300k here. I paid nearly 100k for my E55 last year.
Can you purchase it here (US) and ship it over? For $200k US, you should be able to do that...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 AM

E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
Honestly based on what you're looking for i would consider a Bentley Continental GT. I know a few people that daily theirs and they have no complaints....up until the point my AMG blows past them
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
I had a 370Z for two years, while it was fun to drive there were multiple occasions where I had to run errands or pick up multiple things and it was always a giant pain in the azz. I drive alone 98% of the time, but I love having the flexibility of a large trunk and real backseats. The grass isn't always greener.