First visit to new dealer - didn't turn out well

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by happy187
I would definitely consider contacting an attorney. Making it right has to include damages for the loss in the cars value. This is pretty standard practice, although highly speculative and difficult for a court to do, you should be able to work something out with the insurance. Recently my wife was involved in a rear end collision and the at fault party's insurance fixed the car and cut a 4k check for damage to a CRV.
Might I say, well done sir!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63: <sold> '07 E63
Update

First let me say thank you everyone who chimed in. I called the dealer I usually take the car to and talked with the service manager, who helped me pick out this car, as well as the used car manager. Their first words were, "why go anywhere else?" I've definitely learned a lesson there.

Anyway, they both told me to ask this dealer to total the car and be very firm about it, offer no other options. Their reason being is that the people who usually buy AMG's are people like those on this forum who scour every detail of the car, run vin's through their local MB dealer (like we did when I purchased this car) and know the history of the vehicle inside and out before buying it. According to them, all MB dealers are supposed to call the police in a situation like this and of course report it to their insurance company. As such, it should be a reportable condition on a carfax. Thus public knowledge to anyone who would be interested in purchasing the vehicle. They said I should also ask for additional money to cover the tax to buy a similarly priced vehicle.

The second option, if I'm not able to get the dealer to have their insurance company total the car, is to come up with a value which correlates to the negative adjustment I would experience when I went to trade it or sell it to a private party. This value should be based on the blue book of my car as well as the amount of money it cost to repair the vehicle (currently $12k in parts they ordered today) and consider the amount of trade in allowance a dealer would give.

Those two options were the only ones my regular dealer told me to pursue. They actually thought I would be crazy not to pursue one of these two at a minimum.

In the mean time, here are a couple of pictures. It doesn't look too bad but it is my baby. I will update this thread once I have worked with the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails First visit to new dealer - didn't turn out well-dscn1189.jpg   First visit to new dealer - didn't turn out well-dscn1190.jpg   First visit to new dealer - didn't turn out well-dscn1192.jpg   First visit to new dealer - didn't turn out well-dscn1193.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by peckcrossing
First let me say thank you everyone who chimed in. I called the dealer I usually take the car to and talked with the service manager, who helped me pick out this car, as well as the used car manager. Their first words were, "why go anywhere else?" I've definitely learned a lesson there.

Anyway, they both told me to ask this dealer to total the car and be very firm about it, offer no other options. Their reason being is that the people who usually buy AMG's are people like those on this forum who scour every detail of the car, run vin's through their local MB dealer (like we did when I purchased this car) and know the history of the vehicle inside and out before buying it. According to them, all MB dealers are supposed to call the police in a situation like this and of course report it to their insurance company. As such, it should be a reportable condition on a carfax. Thus public knowledge to anyone who would be interested in purchasing the vehicle. They said I should also ask for additional money to cover the tax to buy a similarly priced vehicle.

The second option, if I'm not able to get the dealer to have their insurance company total the car, is to come up with a value which correlates to the negative adjustment I would experience when I went to trade it or sell it to a private party. This value should be based on the blue book of my car as well as the amount of money it cost to repair the vehicle (currently $12k in parts they ordered today) and consider the amount of trade in allowance a dealer would give.

Those two options were the only ones my regular dealer told me to pursue. They actually thought I would be crazy not to pursue one of these two at a minimum.

In the mean time, here are a couple of pictures. It doesn't look too bad but it is my baby. I will update this thread once I have worked with the dealer.

Good advice from an honest dealer. This should be a lesson to everyone. Stay clear of whipplem104's as they commit fraud, clean Carfax's, buy crashed painted cars and sell them for more then they are worth. As reccomended, get an attorney and fight for the first option. If not, get it fixed, trade it to them, have them make you whole, and find that next perfect E63!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 AM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Goodluck Peckcrossing...Cars come and cars go; the next one will be even better. I am glad you are sticking to good advice and not swayed by the unnecessary flak on this post. Whether good idea's or not, everyone was trying to give you support in their own way. To think we all have (at least) something in common...
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Listen to me man, you need to make them pay for a new car, the rental they gave you and not charge you for the work because it was their responsibility and they totaled it. No one wants a fixed car, once a car is crashed and it's that old, the resale price will get hurt. Like someone above said "You break it, you buy it". Don't worry about who's fault it is and how mother nature can't be controlled, I've dealt with these stealerships and trust me they make alot of money so don't worry about their wallets, just get as much as you can from them. Paybacks a ***** for their hilarious servicing and repair prices
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by whipplem104
I am sorry but you guys are insane. There is no way that is going to happen. And the carfax is meaningless. Dealers clean carfaxes all the time. That entire thing is a joke. It is an unfortunate accident. I would just make sure that the car is fixed with absolutely perfect work. I think that it is also reasonable to not pay for the work done at this visit and it cannot hurt to ask for the brakes. Besides an 07 E63 has already lost an absurd amount of its value and a bumper and fender kind of repair is not going to effect it much if at all. I might consider when the time comes trading the car in at this dealer and remind them of the situation. Good luck.
How about you leave your dumb advice in that empty head of yours that's the worst advice I've ever heard and what you said is BS. Of course you can't clean a car's history once the police are involved and a report is filed and the insurance company gets involved. If it was that easy then why would the system to ensure people don't get ripped off be there. OP needs to tackle this situation aggressively and get as much as he can. Whether they ment to or not is irrelevant, yes, these things happen and someone has to pay. It also doesn't matter how minor the damage is, the car's value WILL drop, why should OP have to pay for their mistakes?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by emoving
Look, another AMG dreamer!
LOL!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Great to hear the other MB dealer give you sound advice as others did on here!! Dont think totaling it will happen, since repairs have to be 50% of the car value?? I'd take option B and get another AMG.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
LOL!!!
you have too many sig pictures lol...make them same size!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by djrabbi
you have too many sig pictures lol...make them same size!

Nahhh, I like his new large picture, I wouldnt want it any smaller. I wouldnt be able to see those nice bbs!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't say make them smaller lol....I said make em same size
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
I didn't say make them smaller lol....I said make em same size
Wasn't that her choice when she had the implants done?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hahahaha......I like this one better actually

Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Look, another AMG dreamer!
yep, damn...clearly I just couldn't swing an e55

the fact that you don't even understand why I made my post is the best part.

Let me help: you're
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM

11 QX56, 09 E63, 00 S2000
I think a few guys are getting a clean title and clean carfax mixed up.

There are certain states that allow a "total loss" and rebuilt vehicle to be repaired and registered with a new clean title. A car in an accident that is not a "total loss" doesn't necessary have that show up in a title check. The carfax will have the accident report but it doesn't mean that it affects the title of the vehicle.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by dychen
I think a few guys are getting a clean title and clean carfax mixed up.

There are certain states that allow a "total loss" and rebuilt vehicle to be repaired and registered with a new clean title. A car in an accident that is not a "total loss" doesn't necessary have that show up in a title check. The carfax will have the accident report but it doesn't mean that it affects the title of the vehicle.
...and how will this not drop the value of the car which is the point emoving was trying to make If someone decides to check when he's selling it, it will show up and the value will drop. I'm just trying to lay the facts so the OP doesn't get ripped off, he's had bad enough luck already, let's not give him stupid advice that will screw him over.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Good advice from an honest dealer. This should be a lesson to everyone. Stay clear of whipplem104's as they commit fraud, clean Carfax's, buy crashed painted cars and sell them for more then they are worth. As reccomended, get an attorney and fight for the first option. If not, get it fixed, trade it to them, have them make you whole, and find that next perfect E63!
Agreed- If they will not total it, get a commitment in writing for a trade in value you are comfortable with. Then, once it is done, trade it in before it depreciates any more. They can not hold the accident against you since it was just fixed (and caused) by them.

If you do not feel whole with trade-in offer, litigate. I have recommending lawsuits, but when justified, they are the right way to go.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
shouldve at least grabbed the deer . I got a Greek here in LOng Island that craves fresh road kill LOL . The squirrell Skewers are to die for .
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Hey Peckcrossing-
Sorry to read about your nightmare. What concerns me the most after reading your update is how the dealership lied to you about telling you the car was ready instead of fessing up right away and making you aware of the situation. Telling you it will be ready around 4 pm and then telling you it will be just a little longer knowing full well and good your car wasn't even at the dealership but up off the side of the road is very disturbing.
Hopefully you will get everything squared away. There are some good suggestions posted already.
Good Luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
hahahaha......I like this one better actually

Yes, one of those 20' or 10" ladies.